Shocked at exhorbitant prices of 2019 Europe airfare

Moxiefurball

I am shocked at next year 2019 summer Europe Airfares. I am doing sample fares , taking a cruise out of Rome and have to fly jax to Rome and come home Athens to Jax.

We were going to go last year but had to reschedule for this year. Last year we got round trip per person approx $980 per person which was great. Now I’m checking next May ( we are actually flying in mid June 2019) and RT fares today are at around 2800-3000 RT. How can there be such an increase. ????? Of course the $980 fare quoted us in 2017 for 2018 Cruise was throughprincess ez aire. But still. It looks like we are looking at. Tremendous airfare for summer 2019. More than the cruise fare.

clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

I'm not feeling to bad at $3900 for the two of us (booked directly with DL) in DeltaOne LAX-BCN May 2019....It's been pricing as high as $10,000 directly with DL and currently $5300 using Air2Sea.

I am shocked at next year 2019 summer Europe Airfares. I am doing sample fares , taking a cruise out of Rome and have to fly jax to Rome and come home Athens to Jax.

We were going to go last year but had to reschedule for this year. Last year we got round trip per person approx $980 per person which was great. Now I’m checking next May ( we are actually flying in mid June 2019) and RT fares today are at around 2800-3000 RT. How can there be such an increase. ????? Of course the $980 fare quoted us in 2017 for 2018 Cruise was throughprincess ez aire. But still. It looks like we are looking at. Tremendous airfare for summer 2019. More than the cruise fare.

clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but I just did a quickie look, and there seem to be lots of choices starting at $1,544 RT.

Are you by any chance getting pricing for two people?

Try this:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-flights:research=JAXROM-ATHJAX

GC

Try Turkish Airlines. Flights cost less that $800 per person in May, which is hardly "exhorbitant [sic]."

These flights are one stop (Istanbul) multicity from Miami, if you can depart from that airport.

Edited by epixx
additional information

I mostly fly with United because they have a huge hub in Newark so it is convenient. I often find that when fares, particularly for Europe first come out they are pretty high but within 3 months they start coming down. I usually book about 6 months out because it sems to be the sweet spot for me. Keep in mind that jet fuel is a big component of your airfare and oil prices have risen dramaticly in the last year and don't look like they are coming down anytime soon. Airfares, like cruise fares are driven by supply and demand and when they frist come out almost a year ahead the airlines are projecting heavy demand.

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but I just did a quickie look, and there seem to be lots of choices starting at $1,544 RT.

Are you by any chance getting pricing for two people?

Try this:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-flights:research=JAXROM-ATHJAX

Thanks Geezercoupke for the itasoftware link. I see there are some at 1614 RT, and hopefully cruise ship air will save some from that.

Not certain the specific dates your looking at. I just tried Air Canada web site for the middle of June 2019 and a return about 2 weeks later. That said this far out almost any date produces a similar price.

Economy Class, one stop in Toronto with about 3 hours layover on both the outbound and return.

It is $2027 in Canadian dollars. When you flip that to US dollars that is about $1537 US.

Certain if you look at other airlines you will find similar options and prices.

When you search you need to be certain you a mult-city search and get both the outbound and return on a single ticket.