Fly north to Alaska, cruise south OR cruise north, fly south

nwcruiser1956

My DH and another couple would like to "do" Alaska next summer. We would like to include some time at DeNali. Is it better to cruise north from Seattle, go inland then fly back, or vice versa? Or does it make any difference at all?

DH and I have done a 7 day Alaska cruise, 1 member of the other party has done interior of Alaska but never cruised, other member has neither cruised or been to Alaska but loves to travel. For reasons beyond my control, must be Holland America cruise.

We spent a week on land before doing our cruise portion. We flew into Fairbanks and then worked our way south to Seward to board the ship. The week on land was very busy. Our first day on the ship was a sea day so we were able to wind down and relax from our week on land. There were 8 people in our group and we were all glad we did it that way.

You will either start or end in Vancouver on most one way cruises. You can go from Seward on a ship to Juneau (unless you are on a boutique line like American Cruise Line).

Both are good. I have done both. Look at the itinerary and see if there is a difference in ports and times. I have a slight edge to going North as the scenery gets better as you go North. Others prefer to get the long flight over and start North and go South.

Is the other party from the Pacific NW. or if not, have they been around here before? One thing for people coming from far away, such as the east coast, is that the northbound cruise can provide some relief from jetlag; the first day at sea (from Vancouver) is very relaxing - nothing to do but hang out, look at the scenery, eat, nap...

By comparison, arriving in Anchorage in the summer straight from the east (or Europe) and being faced with (virtually) 24 hours of daylight (or twilight) plus a 4+ hour time change, and then launching into intense land-based touring, well...

We went from Vancouver north to Alaska on HA and then the land package up to Denali and Fairbanks. Wanted to do land package first but could not fit into our schedule. No regrets...everyday the scenery just became more beautiful. Loved the land tour actually more than the cruise and the cruise was great

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

We like to do the land portion in Alaska first; then, relax a bit more and enjoy the southbound cruise. DW and I both agree on this, after 7 Alaskan cruises and three years living up there. Definitely do Denali, Anchorage, and the Kenai peninsula.

If you are planning an independent trip, be sure to check out The Mile Post. You probably can find older versions at your local library; it is updated every year and can usually be found in any good book store in the travel section or ordered on the internet.

Enjoy the "Great Land." It is a fabulous place.

We are going on a land tour and cruise and we chose to do the land part first (starting with an extra night in Fairbanks to recover from the long flight). Part of the reason is the same as what other people said, a relaxing cruise after being on the land tour. The other reason is that on the cruise all the meals are included, on the land part we will be paying for meals. We figure we would rather pay first and eat light, knowing when we get to the cruise we won't have to pay for appetizers, dessert or extra helpings. If you cruise first, on the land part you are suddenly faced with having to buy meals at those Alaska prices! Ouch!

You can go from Seward on a ship to Juneau (unless you are on a boutique line like American Cruise Line).

Do you mean Seattle rather than Seward?

NWCruiser, I didn't notice that you mentioned, or anyone asked, but what time in the summer? If spring or fall, that can make a large difference in the direction you should go.

Do you mean Seattle rather than Seward?

NWCruiser, I didn't notice that you mentioned, or anyone asked, but what time in the summer? If spring or fall, that can make a large difference in the direction you should go.

I meant to say "you can't go from Seattle to Seward".

The OP mentioned going North from Seattle and then doing a land trip. My point was you can't easily get on a ship in Seattle and sail to Seward and then do a land trip due to laws. You have to get on a ship in Vancouver.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for all the input - keep it coming.

Both couples live in Seattle, so we can easily transport ourselves to vancouver - train, car, someone dropping us off.

I do like the idea of the busy inland week, then the relaxing cruise.

Tour by HA, or do-your-own tour?

Has to be during the school year summer - mid-June through the end of August. Just a few more years and I will be able to cruise off-season!!

Thanks for all the input - keep it coming.

Both couples live in Seattle, so we can easily transport ourselves to vancouver - train, car, someone dropping us off.

I do like the idea of the busy inland week, then the relaxing cruise.

Tour by HA, or do-your-own tour?

Has to be during the school year summer - mid-June through the end of August. Just a few more years and I will be able to cruise off-season!!

We did the land tour on our own. We did a lot of research ahead of time so we knew where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do. Doing it on your own gives you the freedom to go where you want when you want.

We liked the land part first then relax back to Vancouver on the ship. As far as HAL, they have been bringing people to Alaska for 70 years. They have it down to an efficient system where excursions are provided and you get to see the most spots and places people want to experience.

For us, we like the provided tour as compared to DIY. I don't want to be bothered driving, deciding where to stay and not knowing exactly where we are. I like a tour with a narrator to tell us the history of where we are and what we are looking at while I sit back and enjoy the ride.

We did the land tour on our own. We did a lot of research ahead of time so we knew where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do. Doing it on your own gives you the freedom to go where you want when you want.

Ken--- we're starting to plan a trip in 2019. We've already booked our cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We also would like to do the land tour on our own. Any suggestions?

Ken--- we're starting to plan a trip in 2019. We've already booked our cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We also would like to do the land tour on our own. Any suggestions?

Suggestions? Sure! Here is a link to the review I wrote for our trip. It's quite detailed in regards to the planning logistics of everything we did.

Ken-- One more question. I've heard mixed opinions about the train ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route out of Skagway. Can you tell me why you chose the trip to Emerald Lake instead?

Donna

The most important reason was, we wanted to be able control when, where and for how long we stopped. The second reason was, with four people sharing the cost of the car rental, it was A LOT cheaper to do it that way.

I also have done multiple trips in both directions. There is no one answer- except for beginning /end of season, directions in my opinion.

I especially find the "relaxing" comments, a big mistake to consider with eliminating a northbound cruise. . Trips should be balanced. I find the "relax" interesting. :) No, this type of touring is not for me. my plans involve even schedules and activities and striving for ideal use of time. It can be a big negative with fixed cruisetours- so, be very careful and do your homework. Find out every detail- and know what you are looking at and booking.- unfortunately, many people don't. There are some very poor choices offered as cruise tours, so at the very least, never consider the short add ons.