did you see faster service after new American Table menus?

Out of Iowa

As I recall, the American Table menus were intended, to some extent, to streamline service in the dining room. In our experiences, it certainly has not. Disappointing to say, but that's our observation.

Has anyone found faster service 60-75 minute dining in the MDR so they can get to the big show lounge production?

While I like some of the changes with America Table, and honestly, could care less about the table cloths, I don't find dinner any faster because of the change. It's quite inconsistent, but even on vacation, taking 90 minutes or more for a 3 course meal is a bit much for us.

What it will speed up is that a basket of bread and carafe of water are left on the table so the staff don't have to redistribute them during the meal.

One way to speed up dinner in the MDR is to ask for a desert menu with your dinner menu and order desert at the same time as your meal. It eliminates the wait time after your entree waiting for the desert menu and then waiting for the staff to go get it. If you order with your meal it's our experience that the staff will attempt to have it ready to serve as you finish the entree.

We enjoy the leisurely dinner but this is a painless way to speed things up without disrupting the relaxed flow.

;p The American Table was a cut back to save money. At the same time they cut back on the staff in the MDR hence the slow service at times. I have noticed fewer people using the MDR for the entire cruise. Our last cruise in Jan. we were at a table for 8 except for one guy that showed 2 times we ate alone each night we were there. That being said we have cruised other lines and still find the Carnival experience is more to our liking then the other lines.

My several cruises since introduction of the American Table menu have not been noticably different (not slower, not faster).

I don’t recall any discussion or promotion that such a change to American Table would “speed up service”.

I have had no trouble making theater shows even with fixed late seating nor have I experienced protracted dining times, diminished service or a “cutback” in dining room servers.

It would appear others have. I consider myself lucky to not be disappointed in that manner.

Will have my first experience with the dining service in December on my first Carnival cruise. I usually go out to dinner when home to socialize with family or friends and 90 minutes is a typical dinner length for me. But don't know how that will work on a cruise with other events to get to. But I also am wait listed for the early sitting, so not even sure when I'll be dining. Might by ATD which brings its own dynamics.

If all things remained unchanged then people would see faster service. But with new menu there was reduction in staff, just like all other businesses, doing more with less. So more tables now for Waiter to serve. Or in other words if menu didn't change and with staff reduction you would be spending more time.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

about the same overall but some teams faster than others

Yep. This.

In the beginning it seemed a bit quicker, especially when dining with a large group. Now not too much different.

Larger the table, longer it can take.

What makes you think that the new menus were supposed to quicken the service? I guess I’m not understanding the correlation between new food items and service time. The waiters still have to serve you three course like they did before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always do YTD and have never had a long wait for seating or extremely slow service. If I find a server I really like I ask to be seated in his area every night after that. By day 2 in their section they know you have requested them and really go above and beyond for you. I have only had one server that I didn’t particularly care for in 8 cruises. The average dinner time for us has been 75 minutes. If you have a particular show you want to see, plan your dining time accordingly.

We’ve always get to the MDR for YTD when they open at 5:45. We get a table right away and then let the wait staff know we want to catch a show. We get all meal courses and are out in about an hour with plenty of time to casually get to the theatre and get a good seat.

I haven't found it to be any faster, but we enjoy the leisurely pace.

I suppose if we were in a hurry we would choose a different venue, but one of the things we enjoy most about cruising is slowing down, relaxing, and having the time to listen to and enjoy each other.

(y)