Which airline do you prefer for Seattle?

flasaltwater63

Be sure that you know EXACTLY what your "premium class seats" price diffential gets you. Some airlines will even call a standard pitch aisle seat "premium" because it isn't a middle seat.

Plus, I don't know of any USA airline that markets any cabin as "premium class", so not sure what you are talking about.

That's what Alaska air is calling them "Premium Class" it has 4 more inches of leg room and a free drink and priority boarding. So it says on Alaska's website. [ATTACH]415960[/ATTACH]

Ok. As long as you understand exactly what it does and does not give you. On more than one occasion Ive heard people take a description like that and somehow interpret it to mean, "it's pretty much like business class, just cheaper" which of course is absolutely not true. Also had one friend get caught up in the "free drinks" aspect too, til I reminded him he could buy a lot of a la carte $8 cocktails for the $79 price difference he'd paid for his short domestic flight in Delta"s "comfort+" seat.

The Alaska Premium is nothing but a money grab in my opinion. I'm a 75K Gold

Even if I select a "premium" seat when I make my reservations, Alaska Airlines counts that as a Comp Upgrade on their "Look at how well we upgrade people" checklist on their app site. The comp box of nuts is just that.

I would rather they offer nothing but a smile and a "Thank you for flying Alaska", than offering a condescending cheap ass box of nuts.

Again, they are my airline of choice, but the Premium product was just a money grab.

The Alaska Premium is nothing but a money grab in my opinion. I'm a 75K Gold

Even if I select a "premium" seat when I make my reservations, Alaska Airlines counts that as a Comp Upgrade on their "Look at how well we upgrade people" checklist on their app site. The comp box of nuts is just that.

I would rather they offer nothing but a smile and a "Thank you for flying Alaska", than offering a condescending cheap ass box of nuts.

Again, they are my airline of choice, but the Premium product was just a money grab.

Do you still get 4 extra inchs extra legroom or is economy a pretty good bit of legroom in your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Do you still get 4 extra inchs extra legroom or is economy a pretty good bit of legroom in your opinion.

6 hour flight from FL?

Exit row 1st

If can’t get exit, then premium would be next.

For 6 your flight in 737 is First an option? I don’t know what the price difference is showing but a couple of hundred would be worth it.

Looks like Delta did some updates but most of their planes are older. I read that their 757 is 20 years old.

You would never know that you’re flying on an “older” 757. Delta has done a fantastic job with these airplanes and the new interiors. Nice overhead bins that fit the bags sideways, large screens on each seat and nice cabin layout. Much better for longer flights.

Newer airplane doesn’t always translate into a better option. To use Delta as an example, they are also receiving 125 brand new 737-900’s (same as Alaska), but the seats are packed like sardines. They are also underpowered which means that they can’t climb as high, specially on longer flights. This can be an issue when they are trying to climb above weather or to an altitude with less turbulence. A great airplane to fly, but not nearly as comfortable or flexible.

They are also receiving 200 brand new Airbus 321 aircraft which do offer considerably more space in comparison to the Boeing aircraft that they compete against.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to book flights from NY to Seattle for an August cruise. Alaska air has the best price but the flight to Seattle says operated by SkyWest airlines and the flight to NY says operated by Horizon Air. Is this a concern?

Looking to book flights from NY to Seattle for an August cruise. Alaska air has the best price but the flight to Seattle says operated by SkyWest airlines and the flight to NY says operated by Horizon Air. Is this a concern?

I wouldn't be concerned as a fan of Alaska.

I would be seeing as to what aircraft they are using. I would suspect that the one operated by SkyWest and Horizon Air is the new Embraer 175 which is a baby 737. I was really impressed with this plane

Horizon doesn't operate into New York City, so I am REALLY confused by your posting.

Actual flight numbers, dates and airports can always help in narrowing down what you're asking about.

And, just what would be your "concern"?

IMHO the Alaska Premium is not worth it. We did it from Orlando

to Portland after a cruise. Alaska is our first choice, however, I have

to agree with some others that it is a money grab and I would have

preferred to have purchased two glasses of wine for FAR less than

$79.00

One flight on 8/3/18 Alaska #349, the other on 8/12/18 Alaska # 420. Both say Boeing 737.

Both of those are mainline AS flights - JFK/SEA and SEA/JFK.

I have absolutely no idea how either Horizon or SkyWest got into the picture. Were you getting your information from the AS website, or some third party site?

I ended up booking us on Delta in the end .....Tickets are officially bought and paid for. We have round trip tickets for Delta comfort from Florida to Seattle then back home. I ended up booking directly through Delta. I had flight held through princess but canceled those. I go the tickets for 1154.00. I thought the comfort class would be good since my husband is over 6ft we are on a 757 then a 737-900er not sure what kind of and that is but I'm sure it will be fine. I chose Delta because of departure times and the difference in price for the comfort class. 4 inchs of leg room means a lot to a big guy. We're working on getting miles for next trip maybe that one will be first class.

we are on a 757 then a 737-900er not sure what kind of and that is but I'm sure it will be fine

Delta is currently receiving 125 737-900ER so you’ll be flying on a new plane. As mentioned before, Delta Is renovating and upgrading all the interiors of their older 757’s, so I’m pretty sure that you won’t even be able to tell the age of that plane. In fact, it will probably feel like a brand new airplane as well.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear Flyertalker - It says this on the Alaska Air web site, I pasted below

Choose returning flight:

Seattle (SEA) to New York, NY (All Airports)

Prices for alternate days:Previous week

arrow_left_navy_14x26Second Flight Fares forThursday

Aug 9

$188

Second Flight Fares forFriday

Aug 10

$188

Second Flight Fares forSaturday

Aug 11

$208

SelectedSunday

Aug 12

$208

Second Flight Fares forMonday

Aug 13

$188

Second Flight Fares forTuesday

Aug 14

$188

Second Flight Fares forWednesday

Aug 15

$188

Next weekarrow_right_navy_14x26

Sort by Stops Price Duration Departure Arrival Prefer Alaska

Lowest fare Refundable

Main CabinFirst ClassOption 2

Alaska Flight 420 only 2 left at

$287

selected flight

Alaska Flight 420 $959

Show all flights

1 Flight operated by SkyWest Airlines as AlaskaSkyWest

2 Flight operated by Horizon Air as AlaskaHorizon

Dear Flyertalker - It says this on the Alaska Air web site, I pasted below

1 Flight operated by SkyWest Airlines as AlaskaSkyWest

2 Flight operated by Horizon Air as AlaskaHorizon

Those are footnotes. They explain superscript written numbers next to flights which are operated by one of these carriers.

It doesn't mean that the 1st flight is on SkyWest, but that if there was a "1" noted above, this was the footnote. Same with the notation for Horizon flights. And since there was no such reference for your flight, it is a moot reference.

I'll agree with what Flyer had to say behind the misunderstanding or misrepresentation regarding the "operated by" portion.

I am/was very confused though by Alaska Air 420 from SEA to JFK on the dates provided. (I just wanted to see what type of aircraft it was.) ((al dates searched was August 11th.))

So I went to FlightAware - No such flight - Um,okay

Went to Flightradar24 - Again, no such flight

Went to SeatGuru - No such flight

Went to AlaskaAir.com - Flight 420 is being sold from SEA to JFK and flying on a 737-900 departing SEA at 2:05PM

Go back to Seat Guru and search by route

Alaska Airlines has 2 flights from SEA to JFK

AS110 departing at 17:05

AS18 departing at 00:40

Both of these flights on 737-900

Alaska Air would be my go-to choice, but on my last trip, the flight from Sacramento to Portland? Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). Walk to the Portland gate, turn around, and check back in for the flight to Vancouver, BC.... on a Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). A week and a half later, fly from Vancouver back to Seattle.... on a Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). And the final leg? I think it was an actual jet.

Unfortunately, for my next cruise, Alaska Air had both a bad schedule and was too expensive. The one-way fare was more expensive than the round-trip tickets on United.

Alaska Air would be my go-to choice' date=' but on my last trip, the flight from Sacramento to Portland? Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). Walk to the Portland gate, turn around, and check back in for the flight to Vancouver, BC.... on a Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). A week and a half later, fly from Vancouver back to Seattle.... on a Bombardier Dash 8 (Bombardier Havilland DHC-8-400). And the final leg? I think it was an actual jet. [/quote']

Aircraft utilization is a matter of economics for an airline. Two biggest factors are distance and city-pair demand. "Actual jets" are relatively inefficient for short stage lengths unless you have sufficient demand to fill the aircraft. For your routing, the distances for your Dash-8 flights ranged from 125 to 479 miles -- hitting the sweet spot for that aircraft.

Not that you always use a smaller turboprop for shorter stages - JAL used to run high-density 747s between Tokyo and Osaka, a distance of under 270 miles. Then again, there was the traffic demand to justify a huge aircraft.

Well, it was a little bit surprising for me to get to the gate at SMF, and, for the first time, go on the tarmac to board a prop plane. The last time I did that was at John Wayne airport for a Southwest flight. As they say, it is what it is as long as it gets me to my destination.

Gates 90 to 96 at YVR, however, might as well be located in another county. For all intents and purposes, it is another country as your pass through US Customs before you board your flight.

Well' date=' it was a little bit surprising for me to get to the gate at SMF, and, for the first time, go on the tarmac to board a prop plane.[/quote']On my regular SYD-CBR runs (147 miles), I try to pick a prop over a jet whenever I reasonably can. Not only is it real flying - particularly on a sunny day when the crew are picking their way between fluffy white clouds sometime soaring 10,000 feet over our Dash-8 - the end-to-end journey is often faster than doing the same run on a 737.