Weird Question

ZeroLT1

Hello all!

My wife and I just recently booked a cruise for us and my father. This will be my father's first big vacation and we want it to be a complete surprise for him.

My question is, I have to come up with some "reason" to tell him to get his passport without giving it away. Just curious if anyone had any creative ideas.

Hello all!

My wife and I just recently booked a cruise for us and my father. This will be my father's first big vacation and we want it to be a complete surprise for him.

My question is, I have to come up with some "reason" to tell him to get his passport without giving it away. Just curious if anyone had any creative ideas.

Tell him that you have planned a trip that requires a passport and that he needs to obtain it and that you can't disclose the nature of the trip. Of course if you are traveling on a closed loop cruise he could sail with his government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID (presuming he is a US citizen). Might be easier to get the birth certificate without his knowledge or to make up a reason for needing it.

Tell him there's a day trip possibly a weekend thing that's coming up in Canada but it's not definite but you need a passport, we need you to come to look after whatever but we will pay the passport fees in case it goes pear shaped and the offer does not happen, we don't want you to be out of pocket. Don't mention too much details except it's to do with your work which always insist that people have actual passports if you need to get a cheap mobile and get a colleague to answer it and pose as the company travel organiser. Then say do you get seasick easily (no that's a joke!)

Regards John

Edited by john watson

You could tell him that you are thinking about booking something but need the passport number to do it. If you offer to pay for it then it's no real hassle to him, assuming he has all the documentation necessary and doesn't mind getting a photo taken. You can always claim that it didn't work out afterwards.

You can't keep it entirely secret. After all, you don't want him fixing up commitments locally for the cruise dates.

But vaguely the same as John's reply.

Is father in Ohio too?

Canada ain't far.

Do Americans need a passport to go to Canada?

Mebbe a family break for x-number of days with some spurious reason for it being across the border.

Better to get the wife to figure out the lie, they're so much better at it :D

JB :).

Two possibilities here. Tell him that airport requirements might change and that you will need more than a drivers license to fly within the US.

Tell him Motor Vehicle Department now requires proof that he really is a US citizen and that a passport would clarify the issue. Some States do require this when moving into a new state.

Thanks everyone! I like the Canada idea or using the Motor Vehicle department as an excuse.

That airline way wouldn't work as he would pass out if I tried to get him on a plane.

These were all great suggestions!

Thanks everyone! I like the Canada idea or using the Motor Vehicle department as an excuse.

That airline way wouldn't work as he would pass out if I tried to get him on a plane.

These were all great suggestions!

This suggests that you are driving to the port for what is likely a cooed loop cruise. If that is the case, no passport needed.

I don't want to be a wet rag but be sure he will be as excited about this cruise as you. If you are absolutely sure he will be thrilled, great...... but maybe not. Has he ever cruised before or expressed an interest in doing so?

Please let us know how it goes.

Edited by sail7seas

I just want to note that it is very nice that you have booked a cruise to include your father. Very nice.

Keith

He definitely deserves it.

I don't want to be a wet rag but be sure he will be as excited about this cruise as you. If you are absolutely sure he will be thrilled, great...... but maybe not. Has he ever cruised before or expressed an interest in doing so?

Please let us know how it goes.

He loves being on the water and doing many of the activities that a cruise provides. I know he will love it.

He just hates planes because of the height and all...

Thank you!

Using some suggestions here sprinkled with some "fake ID hassles with out of state banks" mumbo jumbo and I think it worked.

We are really excited to see the look on his face when he sees his first cruise ship! (Carnival Ecstasy)

Edited by ZeroLT1

Thank you!

Using some suggestions here sprinkled with some "fake ID hassles with out of state banks" mumbo jumbo and I think it worked.

We are really excited to see the look on his face when he sees his first cruise ship! (Carnival Ecstasy)

Pease come back and tell us about it all.

Are you going pack for him?

A table mate told his wife he wanted her to go with him for meeting in Florida so pack with one or two more formal dresses. They are from Canada so passports are needed. She still didn't realize it when they got on the ship until he took her to their cabin.

Maybe you can tell him you want to take him some where warm but are going to surprise him.

Let us know what happens!

Are you going pack for him?

A table mate told his wife he wanted her to go with him for meeting in Florida so pack with one or two more formal dresses. They are from Canada so passports are needed. She still didn't realize it when they got on the ship until he took her to their cabin.

Maybe you can tell him you want to take him some where warm but are going to surprise him.

Let us know what happens!

That is the only hint we gave him. He knows my wife and I love Florida, so he may just think it's a few nights at the beach in a hotel. He probably doesn't realize the hotel floats. Haha!

I'll let you all know how he reacts, maybe I'll try to snap a picture of the "Ah-ha!" moment. :)

We've been trying to get an elderly lady as a joint signature for a voluntary organisation, but the banks now need photographic evidence...her passport has run out; she no longer drives....her birth certificate doesn't have a photo...

Perhaps you could need a passport for banking purposes or similar?

We seem to need our passport for banking, more and more, plus we always take them for proof for senior citizen discounts, such as railway tickets.

That is the only hint we gave him. He knows my wife and I love Florida, so he may just think it's a few nights at the beach in a hotel. He probably doesn't realize the hotel floats. Haha!

I'll let you all know how he reacts, maybe I'll try to snap a picture of the "Ah-ha!" moment. :)

So long as you are absolutely sure that this gentleman who has never been on holiday would not appreciate the chance to look forward to it? I realise it's your money, but your posts do give the (hopefully false) impression that you're thinking about what you want more than about what he wants. If you have already considered this and decide he would prefer the moment of surprise to the months of anticipation, then fair enough.

So long as you are absolutely sure that this gentleman who has never been on holiday would not appreciate the chance to look forward to it? I realise it's your money, but your posts do give the (hopefully false) impression that you're thinking about what you want more than about what he wants. If you have already considered this and decide he would prefer the moment of surprise to the months of anticipation, then fair enough.

Yeeeesh... buy someone a cruise and yet some people still somehow see that as selfish. That's the Internet for you I suppose.

It's not like he's some stranger I just met 5 days ago. It's my father. I'd like to think I know what he would and wouldn't like. :rolleyes:

Edited by ZeroLT1