Exercise while on the ship

Crazy4Camping

There is a gym where you can work out with machines. My favorite exercise is a brisk walk around and around the track.

The ship is so big you burn plenty of calories just getting around all the stairs.

On port days, you may walk so much you actually burn more than you can eat on the ship!

I usually get up early (catch the sunrise) and walk for 45 minutes on the deck that goes all the way around or most all the way around. Don't like the jogging track. It can get crowded especially when a group walks 4 abreast. Take the stairs where practical.Use some of the equipment in the gym 3 to 4 times a week depending on ports.

I know there is a track on the ship for running/jogging but I wondered if they have any formal classes such as Jazzercise, Zumba , or yoga. Also are there any pools that are set up for lap swimming?

Instead of offering alternatives, or telling anecdotal "here's what I do" stories, I'll try and answer your questions:

• No organized exercise classes although I believe they had a "yoga/massage" spa treatment for a fee ($120?) on our last cruise.
  • AFA pools, no lap swimming. The pools are very small, (15' x 30'?) and are used by the guests for lounging around; no dedicated exercise/activities....

I see that you are cruising the Fascination. My favorite class of ship. One day when it was raining, I decided to take my "walk" inside. Starting at the Riviera level, I walked front to back to front, and up the stairs one level, to the Main deck, front to back and around again to front, and up the stairs, to upper, did it again to Empress. One of the staff told me I had just walked two miles.

They used to offer morning stretch classes for free, but I have never seen anyone doing it, so they must have dropped that. No reason why you cant do it by yourself. Take the stairs, walk the decks, and early mornings coming in to port are a great time for the jogging track.

and dance-dance as much as you can, that will really burn some calories. have a great cruise!

There is a gym where you can work out with machines. My favorite exercise is a brisk walk around and around the track.

The ship is so big you burn plenty of calories just getting around all the stairs.

On port days, you may walk so much you actually burn more than you can eat on the ship!

Yes I look forward to using that track! I gain so easily I'm truly hoping I can get enough exercise to burn calories eaten! I have to average 20k steps a day and really watch what I eat just to maintain! Damn old age and slow metabolism!! :rolleyes::(

Yes I look forward to using that track! I gain so easily I'm truly hoping I can get enough exercise to burn calories eaten! I have to average 20k steps a day and really watch what I eat just to maintain! Damn old age and slow metabolism!! :rolleyes::(

I’m with you! I always use stairs and walk a ton on a cruise but let’s face it, that small amount of calorie burn isn’t going to make a dent in the calories in on a cruise. At least for me.

One cruise I was so good and did an hour spin class plus a 5 mile run on the treadmill every morning and gained 3 pounds that cruise! Probably would’ve been more like 10+ if I didn’t but it’s still annoying!

Instead of offering alternatives, or telling anecdotal "here's what I do" stories, I'll try and answer your questions:

• No organized exercise classes although I believe they had a "yoga/massage" spa treatment for a fee ($120?) on our last cruise.
  • AFA pools, no lap swimming. The pools are very small, (15' x 30'?) and are used by the guests for lounging around; no dedicated exercise/activities....

Posts #2 and Post #6 DID address and answer the OP's questions. If an OP gets the specific information they asked about I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so curt :( or why people discussing other aspects of the question is a problem. In most threads a the OP gets what they asked in the first 10 posts then things get more general on the topic.

If one is interested in more than the actual "answer" then they can read on or participate - if not they can skip that thread in the future. I'm pretty sure if there was NOT some additional chit-chat about topics that experienced cruisers would probably not frequent the site. Then who would answer all the Cheers, YTD vs Fixed, dress code, FTTF, and arrival appointment questions over and over?? :D

Be sure to keep an eye on the Fun Times each day. On our Magic cruise in October, one of the dancers taught a zumba class in the atrium twice during the week. We had a great time even though we were "on stage" for everyone who wanted to watch. We actually had almost too many people.

This was the first time I have seen something like that and it was one of the dancers who taught the class instead of someone else.

• Thanks 1

Posts #2 and Post #6 DID address and answer the OP's questions. If an OP gets the specific information they asked about I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so curt :( or why people discussing other aspects of the question is a problem. In most threads a the OP gets what they asked in the first 10 posts then things get more general on the topic.

If one is interested in more than the actual "answer" then they can read on or participate - if not they can skip that thread in the future. I'm pretty sure if there was NOT some additional chit-chat about topics that experienced cruisers would probably not frequent the site. Then who would answer all the Cheers, YTD vs Fixed, dress code, FTTF, and arrival appointment questions over and over?? :D

Take the stairs instead of the elevator. You don't need to be in a gym to get exercise.

True, but for those of us who exercise regularly, simply taking the stairs instead of the elevator doesn’t do much for us cardio wise. My husband and I jog an 1 1/2- 2 hours every morning in the summer months. So we plan to hit the gym when it opens, take spinning or yoga classes plus take the stairs.

Take the stairs instead of the elevator. You don't need to be in a gym to get exercise.

you obviously do not go to a gym at home. People who regularly work out, taking the stairs is not an option (of course we take the stairs as well). For some, working out is part of a life style.

Any idea how much the fitness classes cost? Is there a package for those who wish to purchase multiple classes?

I saw on some of the fun times others’ have posted that the classes cost $12 each session. I am not sure if there is a weekly pass available for purchase...but would definitely be interested!

....If one is interested in more than the actual "answer" then they can read on or participate - if not they can skip that thread in the future. I'm pretty sure if there was NOT some additional chit-chat about topics that experienced cruisers would probably not frequent the site. Then who would answer all the Cheers, YTD vs Fixed, dress code, FTTF, and arrival appointment questions over and over?? :D

Let me get this straight:

• I post a direct answer to the OP's questions with objective facts.
  • The only reason you participated in this thread is to admonish me about my directness.
  • Your post you states "one can can read on or participate" or "skip the thread". Why don't you take your own advice?

True, but for those of us who exercise regularly, simply taking the stairs instead of the elevator doesn’t do much for us cardio wise. My husband and I jog an 1 1/2- 2 hours every morning in the summer months. So we plan to hit the gym when it opens, take spinning or yoga classes plus take the stairs.

for those assuming taking the stairs will burn up a bunch of calories, bear in mind one flight of very steep stairs may burn 5 calories for most people, a couple of more for those with a few more pounds to carry. So, for example, you would have to take nearly 200 flights of stairs to burn off 1 serving of chocolate melting cake. Plus if you have bad knees, or hips stairs are rough, especially going down.

As for running, jogging, walking, it's typically 100 calories per mile for most people. Time doesn't matter. Thus around 5 miles for that one serving of chocolate melting cake. For walking steps, men's gait is longer than women's gait, but also depends on height. Taller you are longer your stride fewer steps per mile. But on average men walk a mile in 2100 steps, women in 2400.

Exercise is good for you for other health reasons, not weight loss.

Exercise is good for you for other health reasons, not weight loss.

l’ve lost 115 lbs and have kept it off for 3 years by following a low carb/high protein/consistent exercise lifestyle. I am also a thyroid cancer survivor who has no thyroid,so totally understand that my metabolism sux and I have to work waaay harder to maintain a healthy weight. So I have simplified things...I exercise to prolong my life...period.