Thoughts on Norwegian Gem

karmac

Hi everyone, I live in Australia and we are planning a trip to US next year, around Aug/Sept/Oct. We want to finish of with a cruise out of NY that goes to St Maarten and St Thomas. I can only find one and that is on Norwegian Gem on 31st Oct. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this ship.

Hi everyone, I live in Australia and we are planning a trip to US next year, around Aug/Sept/Oct. We want to finish of with a cruise out of NY that goes to St Maarten and St Thomas. I can only find one and that is on Norwegian Gem on 31st Oct. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this ship.

I love the Gem, and have sailed on her five times. OK, I sail in the Haven, which may influence my experience - but overall, the ship is lovely and the itinerary is great! I recommend it highly.

I love the Gem, and have sailed on her five times. OK, I sail in the Haven, which may influence my experience - but overall, the ship is lovely and the itinerary is great! I recommend it highly.

Thanks, Kingmaker. Will be nice to try a new line 😊

If you are determined to sail out of New York, NCL is your only option. But, for the extra price of Haven (the better accommodations) on the Gem, you could probably fly to/from a Florida port - which would give you a wider selection of lines which you might prefer - while having more Caribbean port days for the same length itinerary.

We love the Gem! :)

If you are determined to sail out of New York, NCL is your only option. But, for the extra price of Haven (the better accommodations) on the Gem, you could probably fly to/from a Florida port - which would give you a wider selection of lines which you might prefer - while having more Caribbean port days for the same length itinerary.

Carnival and Princess also sail from NY

We just sailed the Gem before it's dry dock and refitting, in October of last year. It is a great example of NCL's Jewel Class ships, all about the capacity of Radiance of the Seas that you have sailed in the past. That's our favorite size for a cruise, not too small and not too big.

We really like the Gem. NCL does a pretty good job with entertainment, with live music in lounges and various spots around the ship. We haven't sailed the lines you have sailed, so I can't give you a comparison, but generally people say drinks are less expensive on NCL than on RCL, but main dining room food might be better on RCL. NCL is much more casual, with no formal nights required for any dining venue.

Hi, our first cruise was on the Gem, and got hooked on cruising because of her

and her awesome crew.The gem is a beautiful ship and just the right size not too massive and not too small.She is a beauty inside and out.We have been on her 3 times since our first cruise and going again in May and again in June of this year.

You can not go wrong booking a cruise on the Gem.We also book in the Haven

but our first was not and we had a great time.You do get spoiled when you stay

in the Haven suites, but we sail again in a Mini Suite in June,regardless of what kind of stateroom you book, you will have a great time.

Marion

We are sailing on the Gem in less than two weeks....this will be my 3 time on the Gem and love it. We don't do the haven because it's too quiet for us, but if that's what you in to, it is very pretty up there. But you will have a great time regardless.

Gem is our favorite NCL ship. Did a balcony cabin last time, and it was perfectly comfortable for 2 people. Love the BBQs up on deck and the wraparound promenade deck for walking our pre-dawn laps. Really liked the Great Outdoors; great place for breakfast or afternoon cocktails. Food was good in specialties and dining rooms. We thought Orchid Garden food was great. Ship just has a really nice vibe and the crew were professional.

My family and I have been on the Gem twice and we love that ship. I'm sailing on the Breakaway next week and it was a real toss up between trying a new ship or going with the one we love. We like the Gem as it was a perfect size, not too big, not too small. Stayed with friends in the Garden Villa once and talk about gorgeous!!!!! Of course that was a once in a lifetime deal. Good luck in deciding. :):):)

Gem is our favorite NCL ship. Did a balcony cabin last time, and it was perfectly comfortable for 2 people. Love the BBQs up on deck and the wraparound promenade deck for walking our pre-dawn laps. Really liked the Great Outdoors; great place for breakfast or afternoon cocktails. Food was good in specialties and dining rooms. We thought Orchid Garden food was great. Ship just has a really nice vibe and the crew were professional.

We cruised twice on the Gem and had so-so experiences . We may try one more time .

I kind of have my heart set on sailing out of New York. We're used to sailing out of Sydney Harbour (which is absolutely beautiful) and I hear that there aren't too many harbours in the world that live up to Sydney. I feel NY could be one of those harbours. Also, the itinerary I've worked out, we're finishing our road trip there. I don't have an issue with cruising NCL but I would've liked a couple of dates to choose from.

We just sailed the Gem before it's dry dock and refitting, in October of last year. It is a great example of NCL's Jewel Class ships, all about the capacity of Radiance of the Seas that you have sailed in the past. That's our favorite size for a cruise, not too small and not too big.

I have no desire to cruise on those huge ships. I was worried that Radiance was going to be too big but she wasn't:)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It`s a waste as a cruise unless you just like long boat rides ,foods SO SO selection not great unless you want to PAY EXTRA to go to speciallty rest. ports are so so tortola only 5 hours do yourself a real favor because of distance find a cruise out of florida or san juan for a real cruise to caribean

Gem is the perfect sized cruise ship based on your comments above :) You will love it! I have been on her twice and now my best friend is getting married on the Gem in less than 30 days :)

If you are thinking of sailing aug/sept/oct from NY down to the Bahamas, that is peak season for Hurricanes. Anything hurricane-like that may come up the Eastern Seaboard or swirl down in the Bahamas will likely change your itinerary. I only mention this just in case you are planning specifics on the island stops. You will love the ship :)

I kind of have my heart set on sailing out of New York. We're used to sailing out of Sydney Harbour (which is absolutely beautiful) and I hear that there aren't too many harbours in the world that live up to Sydney. I feel NY could be one of those harbours. Also, the itinerary I've worked out, we're finishing our road trip there. I don't have an issue with cruising NCL but I would've liked a couple of dates to choose from.

Last year June we sailed on Gem out of New York and it was a fantastic sail way - #2 on our list (after Venice, Italy ... Miami /San Francisco is tied #3). We loved the Gem.

Remember the NCL ships depart from Manhattan Cruise Terminal (Pier 88), and RCI ships depart from Bayonne which is in New Jersey, and you won't see the Manhattan skyline or the Lady.

If you haven't been to Bermuda, here's your chance to come to Bermuda on the Breakaway - she DOCKS in Bermuda for 3 days and you are free to come and go.

It`s a waste as a cruise unless you just like long boat rides ,foods SO SO selection not great unless you want to PAY EXTRA to go to speciallty rest. ports are so so tortola only 5 hours do yourself a real favor because of distance find a cruise out of florida or san juan for a real cruise to caribean

Sounds like a miserable cruiser that we often meet on our cruises. Sorry. :rolleyes:

It's up to the OP to decide on the cruise of their choice.

We prefer long rides to the 7 day cruises.

Sounds like a miserable cruiser that we often meet on our cruises. Sorry. :rolleyes:

It's up to the OP to decide on the cruise of their choice.

We prefer long rides to the 7 day cruises.

I love the sea days too..and i have been on several out of Florida ports as well, but there's something special about the Gem that keeps me going back. When you are in the atrium or the dining room, you can actually look right and see out the starboard side ocean view and look left and see out the port side ocean view. Most of the royal caribbean ships dont have that feature from the atrium or the dining rooms. I prefer a long sail...after all, isn't that what a 'cruise' is all about? well, for me it is :) Perhaps others have a different definition of 'cruise'....

hope you have a great time :)

Edited by MICHLEV1974

The food is good on Gem. Maybe you had a bad experience? But out of my 7-8 in a row Gem winter cruises I have never had food that wasn't good. The buffet is excellent for a buffet-lots of choices and I love the Indian food choices.

The specialty restaurants are great as well and now the Chinese restaurant is complimentary (used to be pay!) and its still good - although they don't have my fave ribs anymore :-)