Welcome aboard party

Lynnewob

I have just returned from a 3 night trip and was surprised there was no welcome aboard party on the formal night and thought I'd missed it the details, so called the pursers ofice to enquire.

I have been advised that they will no longer be doing these for trips of under 6 nights. I do think this is a shame as I feel it is part and parcel of a cruise and encourages people to mix and mingle.

I appreciate a lot of cruisers don't bother going to them, but it is good for new people to see the captain and senior staff and find out a little about the line when sailing.

My next trip is only for 5 nights so looks as if I won't get one again which is a shame.

Because of work commitments I can only get away for short bursts and I seem to be losing out on some of the perks, diamond lunch in Verandah for example. 7 night cruises also do not offer a senior officers party, altough you stil get the World Club party. I wish they would stop some of the cost cutting (the tiny pillow chocolates) as they do need to ensure they retain their loyal customer base and encourage new people on board. C'est la vie.

7 night cruises also do not offer a senior officers party, altough you stil get the World Club party...

Is this a very recent change? With the elimination of the two annual calls at Halifax, New York-Southampton crossings are 7 days. In October we took two back-to-back voyages of 7 days each (one cruise, one crossing) and there was a senior officers party on each segment.

The Cunard World Club information still gives these notes for the senior officers party:

5. Party may be held during the day or in the evening.

6. Where operationally possible.

7. Only available on voyages of six nights or more.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Clarification

I have just returned from a 3 night trip and was surprised there was no welcome aboard party on the formal night and thought I'd missed it the details, so called the pursers ofice to enquire.

I have been advised that they will no longer be doing these for trips of under 6 nights. I do think this is a shame as I feel it is part and parcel of a cruise and encourages people to mix and mingle.

I appreciate a lot of cruisers don't bother going to them, but it is good for new people to see the captain and senior staff and find out a little about the line when sailing.

My next trip is only for 5 nights so looks as if I won't get one again which is a shame.

Because of work commitments I can only get away for short bursts and I seem to be losing out on some of the perks, diamond lunch in Verandah for example. 7 night cruises also do not offer a senior officers party, altough you stil get the World Club party. I wish they would stop some of the cost cutting (the tiny pillow chocolates) as they do need to ensure they retain their loyal customer base and encourage new people on board. C'est la vie.

I did the same trip 3 years ago and there was no welcome aboard party. What was different was having a formal night on the only sea day. I thought this made the trip more of an occasion for such a short trip.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

On our October 7 night Athens to Venice, we did not have a senior officers party and enquired and was told they were not done on 7 nights. I thought this was odd as we have had them before on the fjords 7 nights. Perhaps it is just the Med fly-cruises as they can be relatively port intensive, I really don't know and they didn't embellish when I asked. I think they make it up as they go.

Let's wait and see what happens at Easter, I could be pleasantly surprised with 1 party (I hope).

On our October 7 night Athens to Venice, we did not have a senior officers party and enquired and was told they were not done on 7 nights. I thought this was odd as we have had them before on the fjords 7 nights. Perhaps it is just the Med fly-cruises as they can be relatively port intensive, I really don't know and they didn't embellish when I asked. I think they make it up as they go.

I was on QV in September for 14 nights and no Senior Officers party. I asked the Hotel manager why and she said they don't have one for 7 nights anymore. I replied there are a lot of guests on for 14 nights and their cruises were sold as 14 nights. She then admitted she didn't know why the parties had stopped, it was a directive from Southampton.