Verizon smart rewards being discontinued

LibratPDX

As per the title, I just went to my account to see if Carnival gift cards were available (they are at the moment) and there's an announcement about the SMART REWARDS program being discontinued. Please see your account for the details.

Points will not be transferrable to their new program so use them while you got 'em! I think they're usable through the month of October.

You can use them on board as well, that is what we did. So try to snatch some up....you have until 10/31 I believe.

Figures I didn't even know about the gift cards through Verizon until after I'd paid for the cruise. I have 357,180 smart rewards hahaha. Oh well.

Don't know if Verizon might still offer gift cards with their new rewards program, they're changing the structure of it (you earn one point per $300 spent).

In my opinion this is just Verizon changing their system and has nothing to do with the gift cards themselves, so I doubt the other companies that offer them will be affected.

I know and have some stashed for our cruise in a few weeks but I have enough points to buy a whole lot more :) :D

You can use them on board as well, that is what we did. So try to snatch some up....you have until 10/31 I believe.

Verizon Up is only available through the My Verizon app. It only costs one credit per reward.

If you sign up for their new rewards program, it says you have to sign up for Verizon Selects as well(give them permission to track everything you do with your smartphone). I joined and then immediately opted out of Verizon Selects. It didn't kick me out of the program. Hopefully I will still earn credits.

They had the same requirement for Smart Rewards, and I opted out of Verizon Selects then too. I still earned points every month, just not as many.

They are giving you one reward credit just for joining. It expires in 60 days. The rewards refresh at the beginning of every month. The current rewards are:

•20% off 10 Uber rides in one month

•1GB of bonus data

•3 months of HBO NOW

•$10 toward a new device

•$25 off $75 or more at Boxed

•$5 Starbucks gift card

•One(?) set of 2 "Super Tickets" to various events(sports, concerts, Broadway, etc.)

Edited by Tiger0613

Verizon Up is only available through the My Verizon app. It only costs one credit per reward.

If you sign up for their new rewards program, it says you have to sign up for Verizon Selects as well(give them permission to track everything you do with your smartphone). I joined and then immediately opted out of Verizon Selects. It didn't kick me out of the program. Hopefully I will still earn credits.

They had the same requirement for Smart Rewards, and I opted out of Verizon Selects then too. I still earned points every month, just not as many.

They are giving you one reward credit just for joining. It expires in 60 days. The rewards refresh at the beginning of every month. The current rewards are:

•20% off 10 Uber rides in one month

•1GB of bonus data

•3 months of HBO NOW

•$10 toward a new device

•$25 off $75 or more at Boxed

•$5 Starbucks gift card

•One(?) set of 2 "Super Tickets" to various events(sports, concerts, Broadway, etc.)

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't had a chance to do my homework yet. Not terribly impressed with the choices of rewards, so far at least :cool:

I have been considering switching from Verizon to another cell phone provider, but I really liked being able to buy Carnival gift cards. I guess now I can dump Verizon.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

I don't know how I feel I about the new program. I wasn't using my Verizon points because I liked seeing that big balance get bigger. I used AARP points to get Carnival gift cards.

My thoughts on the current rewards available from the new program:

•Uber discount: I don't use Uber.

•Bonus Data: It will be useful for me when my next cycle starts on 8/14. I am going to Disney World in September, and the wifi isn't always reliable.

•HBO NOW: I don't care about Game of Thrones.

•New device dollars: I just bought an unlocked phone directly from the manufacturer. I refuse to do a device payment plan. I want to own my phone outright from the start.

•Boxed: It is a coupon that can usually be found elsewhere for free.

•Starbucks: Spending $300 and only getting $5 is stupid. That is only one drink.

•Super Tickets: I can't sit through an entire game/match/meet of most sports. I like very few actively touring singers enough to go to a concert. I don't have much interest in Broadway. I do want to see the Lion King though.

I won't be switching since Verizon has good service in Baton Rouge during a hurricane and the days after. During Gustav, my parents were on Verizon, and I was on AT&T. My parents had service. I didn't.

During and after the flood in August 2016, every carrier except AT&T had service. AT&T has the worst infrastructure in Baton Rouge, and they take their sweet time to fix it.

Well that is disappointing. I used them for pretty much every Carnival cruise over the last few years and I had enough points built up to last for life. My last cruise I paid for everything from the fare, gratuities and Cheers with it; saved 10% across the board on the cruise.

Edited by ray98

Well that is disappointing. I used them for pretty much every Carnival cruise over the last few years and I had enough points built up to last for life. My last cruise I paid for everything from the fare, gratuities and Cheers with it; saved 10% across the board on the cruise.

Same here........but for now at least, there's still AARP (you don't have to be a senior to join their Rewards for Good program), Citibank, Allstate and another one I can't think of?

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on paying off my 2 cruises in Nov. But bought the gift cards now and paid them off. We were planning on switching phone plans anyway....so now we can say goodbye to Verizons high prices. We only kept them because of the Carnival gift cards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I have a zillion points but do not use them for Carnival cards....I think it's a horrible deal anyway,...90.00 for a 100.00 card

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I don't see how a built-in 10% discount over and above whatever deal you're able to make with your travel agent is a horrible deal, except for the fact that whatever you pay with gift cards does not seem to be insurable with trip insurance.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It is/was a pretty worthless program. I've used some points for local dining, entertainment and a few gift cards but have found that most of the stuff is just a way to get you to spend money. Most of the restaurants are ones that are trying to drum up business and not too great, or they are fast food types of businesses.

I've used about 100,000 points but still have over 300,000 and can't find anything else I want.

I really won't miss the program and perhaps the new one will be actually worthwhile.

Take care,

Mike