Admin fee on tips

antsp

Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.

Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Wow!! That’s just soooooooo wrong. It’s like stealing from the people that work so hard...:mad::mad::mad:

I hope Carnival-Princess never decides to do it.

Tony

Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.

Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.

And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom

Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.

Princess does not give all of your auto tip to the crew. They use some for employee incentive programs and crew parties and other crew related things. Although this isn't an Admin fee it's deceptive because people believe all their tip money goes into crew pockets.

Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

So is 95 cents the admin fee?

And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom

The Chief Purser on Princess is in charge of the tip pool program. At the conclusion of each voyage, my staff and I had to administer all the collections, reports, and other paperwork related to the financial aspects of the voyage.

I'm not going to post a Princess internal financial report on CC.

You can choose to believe it or not. It's not my problem.

Tom

With you Tom, and also why just Brits and Aussies?? we have auto tips included in our fares on our cruises out of Aus but pay auto tips on all other cruises and just as many “other nationalities” talk about removing auto tips, not Brits and Aussies [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excuse me I'm British and I have never removed the auto tips, the service would need to be very bad for me to do so. The crew work very hard and deserve the tips.

However I do wish they would just incorporate the charge into the cruise fare which I believe happens on cruises from Australia.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app