Johannesburg

chloe kitty

In April last year stayed in Sandton, felt safe although hotel grounds had razor wire all around. Taxis are very dubious and not easy to get, even our hotel could not get us one but arranged transport for us to HOHO bus in Rosedale, not sure if that is correct, but google HOHO if you are going to use it. I would suggest using a private car and driver if sightseeing and for airport transfers.

We didn’t and although I have travelled to many places around the world, I felt distinctly nervous in Joburg.

Some lovely people and we enjoyed seeing the Nelson Mandela museum, just be cautious.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hear mixed things about Johannisburg. I read that you should avoid Hillbrow, Yeoville, Berea and Alexandra due to safety issues, but the touristic areas are totally fine. So I think it is better to have a guide who knows where the best places are and everything will be fine. If you don't have a guide, stick to the areas you know which are sure. Besides that, just keep an eye on your belongings like in every big city.

I hear mixed things about Johannisburg. I read that you should avoid Hillbrow, Yeoville, Berea and Alexandra due to safety issues ...
I don't know what led to these four specific areas being singled out. I think there are quite a lot of areas of Johannesburg that a tourist wouldn't want to go to, but in general I suspect that a tourist wouldn't want to go to those areas anyway. Take Alex, for example: what would draw a tourist there?

But there are plenty of areas in Joburg that should cause no difficulty. Sandton is certainly one of them, but far from the only one. As AmeliaF says, if you go to tourist areas, it should be absolutely fine.