Biking off Paul Gauguin April 14-28

seniorpaddler

We are seriously considering bringing folding bicycles to get around in Port. Would appreciate any and all input:

- General / specific thoughts about the terrain and safety of biking in the islands. We are on the PG 14 day starting the 14th

- Any specific places that would be a "must do" on a bike

- Available bike rentals as an alternative to our bring strategy

- Known issues with PG Cruises in accepting a bike. I have seen full size bikes being tendered by cruise staff on other lines, so am assuming it will be ok to bring a folder.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

I would say that biking on the narrow roads around Bora Bora and Moorea would be somewhat perilous (and I wouldn't bike in Papeete, that's for sure!) But the biggest impediment is going to be the heat and humidity. April can be quite steamy. You might enjoy it on one of the Tuamotus where it's flat and there's very little traffic.

I would say that biking on the narrow roads around Bora Bora and Moorea would be somewhat perilous (and I wouldn't bike in Papeete, that's for sure!) But the biggest impediment is going to be the heat and humidity. April can be quite steamy. You might enjoy it on one of the Tuamotus where it's flat and there's very little traffic.

I concur with Wendy .... with maybe the added island of Huahine, so in reality you have very limited islands where it is very safe to bike.

If you do bike on Moorea and/or Bora Bora it can be very busy until 10 am and then busy again starting around 2 pm.

We have rented bikes on both islands. Bora Bora was a fun ride with not too many hills to climb. There was only one where I had to walk the bike. We are not bikers at home. The traffic once outside the village in Bora Bora was manageable. We tried renting in Moorea and found the traffic too heavy for us and returned the bikes. It was a fun way to see the islands stopping to visit a hotel, Bloody Marys and some vista points.

If you have to pay extra to bring the bikes I wouldn't. Rent them.

Thank you Cruisedreamer1 for your comment. My concern with renting is more availability than cost --- in particular on some of the smaller islands where riding bikes would be fun such as Fakarava. Of course, the roads would not be as good, but hopefully less crowded and we are not planning to do more than cruise to see the sights.