Uncruise: any experience?

DRS/NC

I am late to the party;)...Anyone do UNCruise to Hawaii? I am looking at them...........just wondering about the activity

and if you have to be in good shape? I try to walk every day but I am not a snorkler.....wonder if this itinerary needs to

be for someone who is much more active..........

Hi Lois,

I don’t know about the Hawaii itinerary, but the San Juan’s was fantastic. They apparently have two classes of trips. Having a buffet lunch is the more active (takes less time so you can do more) Having a plated lunch is more fancy.

I was on an active cruise and I loved it. They try to provide a mix of levels of avtivities, and most of the time there was a morning activity and an afternoon activity. As an example, you might chose a more active kayak tour, or you could paddle board around the ship for an easier option. For hiking, they might offfer an easy flat walk, a moderate hike that was a few miles, and then a difficult longer hike with a lot of altitude gain. Most places also offered a ride on the skiff as an easy solution.

And if you get the chance on yours, might kayaking was my favorite!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just got back from our Uncruise Trip in the Sea of Cortez. It was one of our best vacations ever! Lots of wildlife sightings including three different species of whales. Staff was excellent. Perfect for nature lovers.

This sounds great - so glad I ran into this thread. Have been wanting to do more in the Sea of Cortez.

We did an Uncruise trip to Hawaii 2 years ago. I did not care for their product and would not sail with them again. Poor housekeeping (bulbs burned out over bar, public waste cans not emptied, our room not cleaned), and at the end a blatant request for large tips. The food was boring and very limited. The upper deck was littered with unused furniture.

The itinerary was great and covered areas little seen.

• 3 months later...
We did an Uncruise trip to Hawaii 2 years ago. I did not care for their product and would not sail with them again. Poor housekeeping (bulbs burned out over bar, public waste cans not emptied, our room not cleaned), and at the end a blatant request for large tips. The food was boring and very limited. The upper deck was littered with unused furniture.

The itinerary was great and covered areas little seen.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the housekeeping- I haven't noticed that on the 3 I've taken but haven't been to Hawaii with them yet.

From what I've read of the mega-ships (I've never taken one), anyone expecting a comparable variety of food will surely be disappointed- there might be 3 different entrees at dinner (always a good vegetarian item) and one dessert choice (ice cream always an alternative). I never saw the same salad dressing twice. The Alaskan cruise included crab legs one night and Alaskan oysters out on the deck one afternoon (the Captain was grilling them but I ate mine raw). The Central America cruise featured Ropas Viejas for dinner one night; I can't tell you if it was authentic because I'd never had it before but it was delicious. Desserts I remember from previous cruises included lavender scones and chocolate-ginger cookies (I got the recipe!). Food was not the reason for the cruise but it was plentiful and good. As someone who tries to maintain a low-end-of-normal BMI, I appreciated that.

I didn't find the tip process any worse than the mega-ship "default option" of adding a tip to your bill which you can remove only if you claim you had poor service. My tips were decent but not over-the-top and I never had the staff member doing the paperwork make a comment on it.

Since this is a lesser-known line and there's not as much info available, I wanted to add my thoughts based on my own experience with UnCruise.

Edited by Gloria Mundi