Miami Disembarkation - Making an 11:00 Flight?

Firstin87

Hi,

I know this type of question gets asked frequently and I did a search, but don't see anything for my flight time.

Our Cuba cruise on NCL docks at 7:00 on a Friday morning in Miami. I'd like to book an 11:00 a.m. flight. Since the airport is half an hour from the port, that seems like it wouldn't be a problem, but I know better than to assume anything and thought I should check with experienced Miami cruisers.

thank you!

Firstin87

Yes, it is doable. Our friends had an 11:00 am flight and did self disembarkation. We were all on Celebrity. Not sure how smoothly

Self disembark runs on Norwegian though.

On our ship we left from 7:15-7:30ish and got to the curb quickly.

Thank you for replying so fast! We'll have priority disembarkation, so we'll get off the ship early and quick. I assume the Port of Miami is well organized with disembarkation, so that will help, too.

I love your name, 4Cats4Me, by the way! I've only got one cat and I love her dearly.

Thanks!

For an 11:00 flight you need to be at MIA not later than 9:30 - and 9:00 is better, even if you have precheck TSA lines can be a mess. A taxi from POM to MIA takes about 15+ min, so as long as you are off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:30 you should be okay.

Make sure you are off the ship and in a taxi or uber by 8:15 to 8:30 am the latest. During weekly rush hour, the drive time to MIA is much longer than 15 minutes quoted, more like 30+.

I would highly suggest having the driver take 112 into the airport. Though this gets backed up for a bit as people are going to Coral Gables for work, it will lead right into the airport. The 836 will take much longer and these days seems to be backed up going from 95 until past the airport no matter what time of day it is.

Don't mean to hijack but we're deciding between an 11:05 and a 1:35 flight on a weekday - just confirming that the 1:35 sounds like a safer bet? We definitely do not want to carry our own bags off.

1:35 will be easy - sleep in, enjoy breakfast in the MDR, and be among the last to leave the ship about 9:30 or so. You'll still have time to spare at MIA. Have a great cruise! :cool:

Thanks to everyone for your help. We'll be docking on a Friday morning, which hopefully has less traffic than a Monday. Having priority disembarkation and only carry on luggage that we'll keep with us should be big time savers.

Warmwind - from what I've been told on this thread, your 1:35 flight should be no problem at all. I'm glad this thread could be helpful to you, too.

Thanks John and First - this is our first time out of MIA, usually sail from FLL, so really wasn't sure. FLL is sooo close between airport/port that 1:30 would seem really a long time to wait there. And I think MIA is a much bigger airport? so more places to kill time if need be. Thanks again.

Hi,

I know this type of question gets asked frequently and I did a search, but don't see anything for my flight time.

Our Cuba cruise on NCL docks at 7:00 on a Friday morning in Miami. I'd like to book an 11:00 a.m. flight. Since the airport is half an hour from the port, that seems like it wouldn't be a problem, but I know better than to assume anything and thought I should check with experienced Miami cruisers.

thank you!

Firstin87

Cruised out of Miami many times, and we always book flights in the 11am to 12 noon to 1pm range. Never had a problem making a flight in the early part of that range.

Thanks to everyone for your help. We'll be docking on a Friday morning, which hopefully has less traffic than a Monday. Having priority disembarkation and only carry on luggage that we'll keep with us should be big time savers.

Warmwind - from what I've been told on this thread, your 1:35 flight should be no problem at all. I'm glad this thread could be helpful to you, too.

Monday through Friday has the same traffic around here.

With you having carry on luggage and be getting off early, you will be fine.

Again, just suggest to your taxi or Uber driver to take the 112 into the airport.

Thanks John and First - this is our first time out of MIA, usually sail from FLL, so really wasn't sure. FLL is sooo close between airport/port that 1:30 would seem really a long time to wait there. And I think MIA is a much bigger airport? so more places to kill time if need be. Thanks again.

I do prefer Miami Airport over Fort Lauderdale for the reason you mentioned.

There is so much more at Miami in the way of restaurants and stores that the time passes quickly.

For a 1:30 PM flight I would not rush to get off the ship. You can enjoy a leisurely breakfast and take your time. We would take Uber over to the airport.

Keith