Glacier Cruising

Arizona-Cruising

Future cruise booking takes us to Hubbard Glacier, in the past we have done Glacier Bay. During these trips we reserve the Sanctuary for a day of relaxing and enjoying the views less crowd along with cat napping,

Question is for anyone who has done Hubbard Glacier have you reserved while in this Hubbard glacier cove? How long were you up in the sanctuary?

Glacier bay Sanctuary area open at 6am till after 3pm.

Thank you

It's a big if, to get close. If weather is real calm and not too many bergs around the stay might be ~ 2hours. This does not count time getting up the bay and getting out.

I've heard that some don't get that close for a variety of reasons. IMHO get out on Promenade deck, go forward in the clam shell and aft as needed. I think I walked a mile during that time.

My wife got a bit chilled that day and went up to Skywalkers and had a grand time with some wine...

I still use that glacier in my signature line...

framer

Are you talking about the Sanctuary on the ship or in port. I will be going on my first Alaskan cruise in May.

On the ship, in Glacier bay we reserve 2 lounge chairs at 6:30 am til around 4pm 1st class treatment and food and beverages through out the day. A minimal fee per person with gifts and souvenir picture and such a relaxing day with warm blankets.

You need to sign up as soon as you board the ship. This is only for the Glacier bay itinerary.

It's a big if, to get close. If weather is real calm and not too many bergs around the stay might be ~ 2hours. This does not count time getting up the bay and getting out.

I've heard that some don't get that close for a variety of reasons. IMHO get out on Promenade deck, go forward in the clam shell and aft as needed. I think I walked a mile during that time.

My wife got a bit chilled that day and went up to Skywalkers and had a grand time with some wine...

I still use that glacier in my signature line...

framer

No skywalkers on the Grand..... :(

The Hubbard Glacier is great but take a lot of warm clothes after all you are near a big ice flow. We were on the top deck walking around taking pictures and enjoying the calving.

The Grand had to remove Skywalkers because the metal structure supporting it had developed cracks. Rather than replacing it, Princess decided to just remove it. The Grand class ships that followed used plastic for the structure supporting Skywalkers and so they still have the "grocery cart" appearance.

Chill people... Read my message...

I said to use Promidade deck to view the glacier not go I never said to use a non existant Skywalker on the Grand.

I said my wife got a chill and went up to Skywalker's maybe because the ship we're on had one. The point being it was too cold for her on outside on Promidade Deck.

framer

We had a forward-facing balcony on the Sapphire Princess, so we did not have to worry about crowds of people during glacier viewing. Hubbard was less spectacular than Glacier Bay. I think the drizzly weather may have affected our viewing of it.