RCCL says has no foam toppers and no magnet hooks are allowed on their ships

First:RCCL special needs stated today RCCL officially no longer has eggcrate or any type of foam topper for the beds. Even if requested through special needs may answer your request in a very misleading manner causing you to believe otherwise. When I pressed today about what they had already agreed to put on my bed when I requested double foam on the bed and they replied they would put double toppers on the bed (this was prior to final cruise payment while 100% refundable). What they described when I pressed was a typical mattress pad with a layer of batting in it. They stated that even 2 of them together would be less than an inch thick and have no give or bounce. They are willing to double it and put 4 on. What I read here in the forum caused me to call special needs today to clarify the issue. Thank you because I would have been in a fix. I wanted to warn others with special needs if they ask for foam and get a reply that they will place a double topper on the bed it is not what they think it will be. I went so far as to confirm with a supervisor who stated that if there was any foam in use across the RCCL fleet it was being used against their policy and their knowledge. I think some ships may be holding on to some for those who complain, but I would not count on having it. I was told must bring my own. Personally think they need to be more honest when they get such special needs requests, I am having more of an issue with them misleading me while I could still cancel my cruise. Either buy better mattresses than the ones I am reading about or come up with a better topper alternative for those who need it. They do exist. Answering a request for a needed item before final cruise payment in a misleading manner is underhanded.

2nd For those of you who state you have been using magnet hooks in your cabins to organize and hang things. Special needs department stated today that no type of magnet hook can be attached to walls or ceilings in any cabin (even if it has a protective layer to prevent damage). It will not be allowed. They stated that they could mess with navigation or electronics on the ship?? They said staff would remove them if found. We will be in a deck 6 accessible balcony cabin. They would not even confirm a magnet hook could adhere to cabin ceiling as forum members suggested would work to hang IV bag.

So Ha Ha! Just wanted to warn any of you who have been using magnet hooks on cruises for years not to bother packing them anymore. Is that to be believed? Thank you to those who replied with magnet solutions. I will bring some. But due to what told today will be flying in an IV pole to be safe as well as some type of topper solution for my bed unless someone convinces me will not be needed. My medical luggage on flight just went from 2 bags to 3 bags and a pole.

I thought they no longer provided "foam" topper's due to hygienic concerns. I can understand that. Your cabin steward can use an extra douvet cover or extra blankets instead.

Many use magnetic hooks and have had no problems. There are certain areas on the ceiling that it's clearly posted not to hang anything from I believe it's the fire sprinkler's valves....otherwise using magnetic hooks should be fine.

I always request the disability mattress topper at the time of booking, knowing that they no longer have foam toppers for hygienic reasons. When I get onboard I speak to the attendant and he just adds 2 duvets under the sheets, and it's fine. Many times I board the ship and the attendant has already added the two duvets, regardless of whether I contacted special needs ahead of time or not.

It works fine.

Magnet hook-I do not believe for a minute a properly placed magnet hook will interfere with anything. I was making fun of RCCL's response and the position it puts me in. Didn't catch the sarcasm? It came up because I need hook for daily IV and a command hook will not work on their textured walls for a 1 litre IV bag. Must have IV. They told me was not allowed to use any magnetic hook in cabin and I must fly in or rent an IV pole. I believe 1 small magnetic hook would likely work on the ceiling if not the wall and make things easier for me. But I cannot gamble that they would remove hook or that would not adhere. Frankly, most disappointed in RCCL's attitude about it. It shows they do not care.

Foam topper-If you were lucky enough to find a foam topper on your bed it likely was left behind by a cruiser before you. Policy is because they say they cannot clean foam.The point is, that you can no longer request foam topper through RCCL special needs and count on it to be there. If you ask once there they say it will not be available. Special needs will answer your request for foam by saying they place double toppers (mattress pads) on all their beds but not saying a word about the fact that they are not foam.They will offer extra mattress pads onboard if you want, but that does not fix a hard bed for someone who needs foam or memory foam. If you actually need it, you'd better bring it.

I actually tried the multiple matress pad/duvet/blanket solution today to see if I could get by and unless on a relatively comfortable mattress it will not help. I tried after reading the forum and calling special needs again. Multiple reports in the forum that the mattresses are hard as rocks. I only can believe that these people would not be saying so if not true. I have no personal experience on one. These people all tried to get help with the problem but were offered mattress pads or duvets which did not helped. The mattresses may suit some of you but not one person who stated was comfortable has said it was soft.

Unusual to read that many complaints about mattresses. Usually CL would add foam to solve problem. People do not complain when a problem is solved. Since the foam solution no longer exists, there are many complaints. My big concern is that even those who go through special needs with requests for foam are complaining that promised foam is not there and they are told there is no solution once onboard.

Since I also went through a supervisor in special needs department I do believe this is now the policy. I know they answered my official request for double foam added to bed by a response that was misleading. If foam still exists on any ship I do not believe it can be counted on. It may be here and there. Those who only wish for foam can afford to take a chance. Those who really need it cannot afford to let it ruin their trip and must prepare. I am actually going to get hold of some poly-fill pillows to see if could sleep on top of those but I believe likely would be a nightmare.

May be a different story in suites. In 2016 RCCL was selling mattresses and had 3 different kinds. The suite mattresses had a layer of memory foam on top.The lowest category was just a spring mattress. People are saying there has been a big change for the worse. I would assume that in suites they still have a better mattress or have a solution for comfort if needed.

I’m an RN, familiar with the weight of 1L bag of fluid. I have some magnets I bought for fridge hanging stuff that I’m certain would hold a bag a fluid. Is there a reason you cannot have the magnate in place while the fluid is running & then store it in your personal belongings while not in use? I understand the frustration with the back & forth nonsense of the “rules”, however I don’t see any reason you would need to bring an IV pole onboard.

If I could know for sure a strong magnet would adhere to the ceiling on deck 6 cabins might be good idea. Special needs will not even confirm ceilings are metal. On ceiling I will have to hang something from hook like a bungee cord etc... to hook bag to so I can get up during the night when I need. Not sure how easy it would be to yank hook from ceiling when done if DH not in cabin. DH will leave cabin to meet those in our group as he is early riser and I insomniac.

If adhered to wall (which is more iffy) would be easy to remove myself.

Thank you for recommendation.

I hate to be sneaky. I am a little offended RCCL will not even assist with info so could be comfortable knowing would work. It is such a small thing and a necessity.

I would be up a creek if did not stick to ceiling or wall and had no IV pole with me. Though I would buy the heavier weight magnet hook. There is some type of artwork thing over the bed in cabin though have no idea how it is made.

If hooks did not work on wall or ceiling that would be my only option of something to hook onto if do not bring a pole. I do not think that would really be right but they are making me a little desperate.

Can you attach the iv bag to the curtain rod that separates the bed and the seating area? You'd be able to sit or lie during the infusion.

As for the beds, yes, they are hard. I was literally bruised on both hips after 2 nights on my bed last week. I think the movement of the ship plus the hard bed caused the bruising. I asked for a pad and the steward brought it, which helped immensely. You could look into a "ThermoRest" pad at a backpacker's store. Quite expensive for a good one, but they fold down to nothing and would probably help.

They haven't provided Foam/egg crates for while, unsanitary as they don't get cleaned. Glad as bed bugs, lice doesn't make for good cruise. If anyone has been lucky get them it's because someone left it behind. I actually like the firm beds, I'm disabled and it's good for my bad back/neck. Unfortunately can't have hard and soft beds to please everyone, but providing the extra mattress pads is good solution. Anything else, extra soft for medical issues think it's on the original poster to bring...

Edited by ONECRUISER

As I am the one who brought up, on your other thread, about flying with rare earth magnets, as I said, one small magnet hook will almost assuredly not exceed the gauss ratings for DOT air transport. And unless you are camping in the chart room behind the bridge, it most certainly will not affect any electronics or navigation on the ship. I would call back to special needs and ask to speak to a supervisor, as the information given is completely false, and I would wager a lot of money that every office on the ship has magnetic binder clips holding papers to the walls. If still not allowed, ask to speak to the Resolutions department, and get something in writing stating the policy of no magnets.

Some options might not be the best but should work. The closet has a pole to hang things not sure how long your drip is or how long your line is but maybe put a chair next to it. Can you not hang the bag when in use but take your hook/magnet down when not in use? I would bring a wire hanger with me that can be manipulated to possible hang on something and probably a pants hanger that hangs on the top and has those clips on the bottom just in case you need to be creative if the magnets dont work. Also, once onboard they should be able to help you find something that will work, they have medical persons onboard.

They had an egg crate on the bed while on Allure in 2015. Loved it, really comfortable. Shame that they don't have them any more. The ones without the egg crates on Harmony weren't nearly as comfortable.

As I am the one who brought up, on your other thread, about flying with rare earth magnets, as I said, one small magnet hook will almost assuredly not exceed the gauss ratings for DOT air transport. And unless you are camping in the chart room behind the bridge, it most certainly will not affect any electronics or navigation on the ship. I would call back to special needs and ask to speak to a supervisor, as the information given is completely false, and I would wager a lot of money that every office on the ship has magnetic binder clips holding papers to the walls. If still not allowed, ask to speak to the Resolutions department, and get something in writing stating the policy of no magnets.

chengkp75 Your info on magnets was very helpful. Still cannot get them to tell me that magnet will adhere to cabin ceiling if not to wall. Supervisor even more forcefully than the rep said that magnets are not allowed. I DO KNOW others are doing it. IF can be sure will adhere to cabin ceiling or wall on deck six I will do it anyway. Believe it or not, TSA has been lovely about everything. The magnets, IV fluids even dietary fluids they usually do not allow and will have a supervisor walk us through the process since told them in advance. RCCL is trying to make thing more difficult than they need to be by refusing to give me straight answers.

And No, I cannot hang IV from closet and sit there. I must be lying down and I run over at least 8 hours while sleep.Thanks for suggestion though if situation was diff/would have been an option. Maybe I should just lug the IV pole along with suitcase with mattress topper and 2 suitcases of IV and other supplies. That is 4 items of medical luggage.

May seem like much ado about nothing to you. Life and death to me. I can only drink a few oz of fluid a day. Any day I cannot run my IV at home for some reason, I spend at least 12 hours in emergency room. I had 24 such days in 2017. We handle it very well at home. I Just need a hook. Some say silly to bring IV pole just because RCCL is being silly. I need to feel I am safely covered. Not a risk I can take. Reach out to Anyone out there on ALLURE. Check to see if cabin ceiling on deck six are metal or will hold a magnet. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. Never had this problem before. May be my first and last RCCL Cruise.

Cabin ceilings are steel, and are almost universally painted, not coated with vinyl as the walls are. I know, I've taken down hundreds of ceiling panels to access repairs in cabins. Your magnets will work better on ceiling than walls.

I am a little offended RCCL will not even assist with info so could be comfortable knowing would work. It is such a small thing and a necessity.

I would be up a creek if did not stick to ceiling or wall and had no IV pole with me. Though I would buy the heavier weight magnet hook. There is some type of artwork thing over the bed in cabin though have no idea how it is made.

If hooks did not work on wall or ceiling that would be my only option of something to hook onto if do not bring a pole. I do not think that would really be right but they are making me a little desperate.

RCCL IS being straight with you. They told you magnetic hooks are not allowed. I'm not saying I agree with that, but it's a pretty straight answer. As to whether they can tell you if a wall or ceiling is magnetic, think about what you're asking.... they don't know the strength of the magnet you intend to bring, they don't know the weight of your IV bag....imagine if they said yes the walls are magnetic and then your magnet wouldn't adhere, or came off because the bag was too heavy. You are in what you call a life or death situation if you can't get your 8 hour IV and I doubt any RCCL rep wants to be on the hook for telling you "no problem," when in fact, they don't know if it will be no problem or not.

Most people don't travel with an IV bag so this is a pretty unique situation. If the consequences of not being able to hang your bag in cabin while you sleep are as severe as you indicate, them personally I would not take any chances, regardless of what I was told the room could or could not accommodate, and I would simply bring an IV pole with me. Convenient? No, but it is what it is, and I'd err on the side of caution.

As for the beds, I find them perfectly comfortable and have certainly never ended up with bruises from sleeping on them.

the lack of egg crates being provided has been semi common knowledge for years. ( and it isn't just for disabilities either) we happen to LIKE the 'rock hard' mattresses.

how many people take a cruise that also require IV fluids?! my guess is you are a VERY small minority., single digits percentage wise. maybe even lower.