SEASIDE – Yacht Club 3/3-3/17/18 B2B – Points and Q&A

Formula280SS

The format for reviews tend to get into a pattern. I’d love to convey our two weeks in a day to day OR category by category format, but it would just be self-serving (gratifying mostly).

Alternately, we thought we’d list some POINTS (Great and Good, then Other), touch some of the HOT BUTTON ISSUES and the leave it open for any Q&A that cruisecritic members want feedback regarding.

BACKGROUND

We’ve been cruising since 2008. The expanded signature below has our cruises. We’re 61 and, thanks be to God, very healthy, in good spirits, have three sons, DILS, grand kids (6 girl, 4 boy both 50% Japanese, and 3 month old boy), other in-laws, spread out across US. We travel, vacation, resorts, national sites, etc. around family visits and holidays; always mixing in a cruise pre- or post-one or the other; most recently Nov-Dec 17 7N NCL Escape, Jan 12N Anthem OTS RCCL. We summer on a large fresh water lake in NH, when all the family finds a way home. All in all, about 7-8 months ‘on the road, or seas. ‘Kinda on the smaller size, 145lb for me with a special plant-based* (not what you might think) diet, DW is smaller than me (no disclosures, been married 43 years (yes, married at 18)). Not 'big drinkers. I drink a couple of popular lite beers, red wines (good ones, and some Amarone on a cruise like this) and a rare martini; wife champagne or prosecco (with strawberries) and a rare frozen mudslide.

WE WERE TOTALLY PETRIFIED FOR OUR FIRST CRUISE, DISNEY.

We've never looked back. Simply LOVE IT.

We’ve also learned so much from cruisecritic member posts and threads; more than any CL or TA website. Actually, a critique of my practice of not sending “food back” (if not right) got quite a bit of push back I was convinced to become a better consumer and make a change. We’ve never had a BAD CRUISE, yet we’ve had cruises that had things not go well. Just perspective.

POINTS – GREAT and GOOD

1. Overall, our B2Bwas our best cruise to date.

2. The Yacht Club Design Concept is the best we’ve enjoyed to date. Three forward deck common areas, plus the staterooms, the open Lounge hovered over by the open Restaurant with glass studded steps and rails. A Pool deck that is simply unsurpassed as sea(based on our sailings). Not a bad seat in the Lounge, Restaurant or Pool.

A. The Stateroom was so comfortable. The bathroom and shower, the best. We NEVER HEARD A NOISE ABOVE, BELOW ON EITHER SIDE OF US or, except for one little excited guy one day, in the hallway. SOLID BUILD.

B. The Lounge, a ‘bridge view for everyone and waiters and butlers at any turn of the head. The drinks* premium, service impeccable. Coffee’s included. Champagne also (at the Lounge, Restaurant and Pool Deck) pretty decent.

C. The Restaurant, or the food* (after some early expectation issues, made the adjustment to food critic and re-fire) was the best* we’ve had over the entire cruise period. Obviously, other ships and CL’s specialty restaurants are tops, as well as some on Seaside, just a blanket statement regarding “the food” in totality.

D. The Pool Deck, simply stunning and functional, pools and hot tubs, loungers, etc., sans the lack of a heavy, steel based umbrella upon request (the only flaw; but still found shade with a great attendant day after day after day).

E. The Pool Grille and Bar, the BIGGEST SURPRISE of the cruise, over the top, quality, variety and EXECUTION. Living in the Northeast, haven’t had a 7 ounce lobster tail grilled any better than at that grille.

A. B. C. D. E. – At any location or venue, our waiter or butler or pool attendant would GO ANYWHERE to get us what we wanted. ANYWHERE.

2. The VALUE is stunning; all of the amenities of A.B.C.D.E./$ is stunning.

3. The NON-Yacht Club Venues, such as the bars, are beautiful, well appointed, and when not open, perfect for private reading, playing cards, small get-together’s. We walked the ship at least 3-4 times a week each week to try to take it in. PORT DAYS are easier to learn features and the layout of the ship. SEA DAYS are better to watch, interact and learn more about the passengers. Entertainment nights are a combination of both. The Atrium is a funnel configuration bottom to top, versus a typical forward to aft and back promenade (preferred) on traditional CL ships we’ve sailed. The Buffet (observed Breakfast and Lunch, also picked up pizza slices several times) looked (we didn’t eat) better than our recent observations on Anthem OTS but not as good as NCL Escape (with regard to what was offered, appearance, dining room design and layout, food stations, etc.). The Zip line was OK (it was on a cruise ship, not extreme adrenaline like Dragons Breath at RCCL Labadee), the Water and Tube Slides also OK (not close to either Quantum or Oasis Class RCCL or Breakaway and + Class NCL). The children’s water areas looked larger, but didn’t have little ones with us so really can’t weigh in); but noted no wave attraction, sky diving simulator, bumper cars, skating etc. that other ships offer.

4. The Yacht Club Passengers have been the best. We meet so many other couples, families (multi-generations), Europeans that we talk to on a “as if we’ve known them for years” basis. Some older and much older than us, the same as us, and much younger also.

5. The Yacht Club CREW (generic, for everyone) is the best we’ve ever been lucky enough to enjoy.

* Food and Diet – I’ve made a couple of asterisks for a reason. We, mostly myself, have a real diet that is difficult. My wife, GBHS, is a great reader, researcher, shopper and cook that she has totally spoiled me to no end. She makes dining while we’re away from home comparably tough to match. HOWEVER, the Chef and Waiter listened to what I could have and made me whatever best fit at every meal, never a ‘no go. For example, they don’t have real Green Smoothies as is a very big trend today; usually custom made to one’s diet plan. I gave Arthur, our Waiter 'extraordinaire, our recipe (you don’t want it). Except for the green banana, they had it for me EVERY BREAKFAST and, after a couple of days, it was PERFECT. Arthur even walked to buffet looking for a green banana on day 3 of the second week to no avail. I found one there the next day talking with the ‘FRUIT LADY who told me she kept them ‘green things out back ‘’nobody eats them.’’ Also, when they had to discontinue the Rollmops (expiration date)(like a large pickled herring with a sour pickle in the middle), Arthur made me the predecessor to the Rollmops’; 15 pickled anchovies in a teepee over pickled, sour cauliflower, carrot, celery and peppers (I know it is not appetizing, but it’s what I like and can eat). I COULD GO ON re: adjustments Arthur and the Chef would make, but it is suffice to say, it really was perfectly executed and not an easy task.

NEXT UP – Couple Days

POINTS – OTHER

HOT BUTTON ISSUES

QUESTIONS @ any time in between.

NOTE - Having "issues" with Photobucket hosting the photos, some simply disappearing. Looks like they want me to become a paid member to correct the problem, even though there is a work around for different browsers:

Chrome Users.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg/related?hl=en

Firefox Users

https://github.com/Ryan-Myers/photobucket-embed-fix?hotlinkfix=1521637913877

Very good and fair initial review! I think your review was spot on. The crew was outstanding. Very friendly and enjoyable to talk with. We had the pleasure of talking with you a number of times during your week one (that is, when my DW could tear herself away from one of her countless books!). You (with the able help of Onil and Sergio) were quite adept at finding shade when needed. To all who complain about a lack of shade, I would say there is some truth to that, but if you know the direction the ship is going and remember that the sun moves from east to west, you can stay out of getting too much sunlight. Granted, you did have to move from end of the food bar to the cabana that was converted to a storage shed, but you can find shade.

The restaurant was exceptionally good. We had Allesandra, and I think she was on a par with the famous Arthur! I had some dietary concerns associated with recovery from Stage IV cancer, and the chef, the waitstaff, and Luigi made sure I had great food prepared well.

We were so impressed that we changed our one week cruise next year to a B2B (keeping with you!). Were there some problems? Yes, of course, but they weren't really serious in the scheme of things. The crew, led by the ever present Captain Massa has a can do attitude, and takes immediate action to correct a deficiency, whether it is a real deficiency or simply an imagined one!

The format for reviews tend to get into a pattern. I’d love to convey our two weeks in a day to day OR category by category format, but it would just be self-serving (gratifying mostly).

Alternately, we thought we’d list some POINTS (Great and Good, then Other), touch some of the HOT BUTTON ISSUES and the leave it open for any Q&A that cruisecritic members want feedback regarding.

BACKGROUND

We’ve been cruising since 2008. The expanded signature below has our cruises. We’re 61 and, thanks be to God, very healthy, in good spirits, have three sons, DILS, grand kids (6 girl, 4 boy both 50% Japanese, and 3 month old boy), other in-laws, spread out across US. We travel, vacation, resorts, national sites, etc. around family visits and holidays; always mixing in a cruise pre- or post-one or the other; most recently Nov-Dec 17 7N NCL Escape, Jan 12N Anthem OTS RCCL. We summer on a large fresh water lake in NH, when all the family finds a way home. All in all, about 7-8 months ‘on the road, or seas. ‘Kinda on the smaller size, 145lb for me with a special plant-based* (not what you might think) diet, DW is smaller than me (no disclosures, been married 43 years (yes, married at 18)). Not 'big drinkers. I drink a couple of popular lite beers, red wines (good ones, and some Amarone on a cruise like this) and a rare martini; wife champagne or prosecco (with strawberries) and a rare frozen mudslide.

WE WERE TOTALLY PETRIFIED FOR OUR FIRST CRUISE, DISNEY.

We've never looked back. Simply LOVE IT.

We’ve also learned so much from cruisecritic member posts and threads; more than any CL or TA website. Actually, a critique of my practice of not sending “food back” (if not right) got quite a bit of push back I was convinced to become a better consumer and make a change. We’ve never had a BAD CRUISE, yet we’ve had cruises that had things not go well. Just perspective.

POINTS – GREAT and GOOD

1. Overall, our B2Bwas our best cruise to date.

2. The Yacht Club Design Concept is the best we’ve enjoyed to date. Three forward deck common areas, plus the staterooms, the open Lounge hovered over by the open Restaurant with glass studded steps and rails. A Pool deck that is simply unsurpassed as sea(based on our sailings). Not a bad seat in the Lounge, Restaurant or Pool.

A. The Stateroom was so comfortable. The bathroom and shower, the best. We NEVER HEARD A NOISE ABOVE, BELOW ON EITHER SIDE OF US or, except for one little excited guy one day, in the hallway. SOLID BUILD.

B. The Lounge, a ‘bridge view for everyone and waiters and butlers at any turn of the head. The drinks* premium, service impeccable. Coffee’s included. Champagne also (at the Lounge, Restaurant and Pool Deck) pretty decent.

C. The Restaurant, or the food* (after some early expectation issues, made the adjustment to food critic and re-fire) was the best* we’ve had over the entire cruise period. Obviously, other ships and CL’s specialty restaurants are tops, as well as some on Seaside, just a blanket statement regarding “the food” in totality.

D. The Pool Deck, simply stunning and functional, pools and hot tubs, loungers, etc., sans the lack of a heavy, steel based umbrella upon request (the only flaw; but still found shade with a great attendant day after day after day).

E. The Pool Grille and Bar, the BIGGEST SURPRISE of the cruise, over the top, quality, variety and EXECUTION. Living in the Northeast, haven’t had a 7 ounce lobster tail grilled any better than at that grille.

A. B. C. D. E. – At any location or venue, our waiter or butler or pool attendant would GO ANYWHERE to get us what we wanted. ANYWHERE.

2. The VALUE is stunning; all of the amenities of A.B.C.D.E./$ is stunning.

3. The NON-Yacht Club Venues, such as the bars, are beautiful, well appointed, and when not open, perfect for private reading, playing cards, small get-together’s. We walked the ship at least 3-4 times a week each week to try to take it in. PORT DAYS are easier to learn features and the layout of the ship. SEA DAYS are better to watch, interact and learn more about the passengers. Entertainment nights are a combination of both. The Atrium is a funnel configuration bottom to top, versus a typical forward to aft and back promenade (preferred) on traditional CL ships we’ve sailed. The Buffet (observed Breakfast and Lunch, also picked up pizza slices several times) looked (we didn’t eat) better than our recent observations on Anthem OTS but not as good as NCL Escape (with regard to what was offered, appearance, dining room design and layout, food stations, etc.). The Zip line was OK (it was on a cruise ship, not extreme adrenaline like Dragons Breath at RCCL Labadee), the Water and Tube Slides also OK (not close to either Quantum or Oasis Class RCCL or Breakaway and + Class NCL). The children’s water areas looked larger, but didn’t have little ones with us so really can’t weigh in); but noted no wave attraction, sky diving simulator, bumper cars, skating etc. that other ships offer.

4. The Yacht Club Passengers have been the best. We meet so many other couples, families (multi-generations), Europeans that we talk to on a “as if we’ve known them for years” basis. Some older and much older than us, the same as us, and much younger also.

5. The Yacht Club CREW (generic, for everyone) is the best we’ve ever been lucky enough to enjoy.

* Food and Diet – I’ve made a couple of asterisks for a reason. We, mostly myself, have a real diet that is difficult. My wife, GBHS, is a great reader, researcher, shopper and cook that she has totally spoiled me to no end. She makes dining while we’re away from home comparably tough to match. HOWEVER, the Chef and Waiter listened to what I could have and made me whatever best fit at every meal, never a ‘no go. For example, they don’t have real Green Smoothies as is a very big trend today; usually custom made to one’s diet plan. I gave Arthur, our Waiter 'extraordinaire, our recipe (you don’t want it). Except for the green banana, they had it for me EVERY BREAKFAST and, after a couple of days, it was PERFECT. Arthur even walked to buffet looking for a green banana on day 3 of the second week to no avail. I found one there the next day talking with the ‘FRUIT LADY who told me she kept them ‘green things out back ‘’nobody eats them.’’ Also, when they had to discontinue the Rollmops (expiration date)(like a large pickled herring with a sour pickle in the middle), Arthur made me the predecessor to the Rollmops’; 15 pickled anchovies in a teepee over pickled, sour cauliflower, carrot, celery and peppers (I know it is not appetizing, but it’s what I like and can eat). I COULD GO ON re: adjustments Arthur and the Chef would make, but it is suffice to say, it really was perfectly executed and not an easy task.

NEXT UP – Couple Days

POINTS – OTHER

HOT BUTTON ISSUES

QUESTIONS @ any time in between.

Very good and fair initial review! I think your review was spot on. The crew was outstanding. Very friendly and enjoyable to talk with. We had the pleasure of talking with you a number of times during your week one (that is, when my DW could tear herself away from one of her countless books!). You (with the able help of Onil and Sergio) were quite adept at finding shade when needed. To all who complain about a lack of shade, I would say there is some truth to that, but if you know the direction the ship is going and remember that the sun moves from east to west, you can stay out of getting too much sunlight. Granted, you did have to move from end of the food bar to the cabana that was converted to a storage shed, but you can find shade.

The restaurant was exceptionally good. We had Allesandra, and I think she was on a par with the famous Arthur! I had some dietary concerns associated with recovery from Stage IV cancer, and the chef, the waitstaff, and Luigi made sure I had great food prepared well.

We were so impressed that we changed our one week cruise next year to a B2B (keeping with you!). Were there some problems? Yes, of course, but they weren't really serious in the scheme of things. The crew, led by the ever present Captain Massa has a can do attitude, and takes immediate action to correct a deficiency, whether it is a real deficiency or simply an imagined one!

Thank you.

I remembered you and your wife. Boy, can she read. And, she enjoys it sooooo much. My wife and I would see her break out in a smile or giggle every once in a while when she was reading.

I don't know what the final # of books read was but she is a serious reader. I told her I was jealous, decades of financial service document reading, I just can't read a book. Wife does Kindle though.

You're right about the shade. Wife managed it everyday, with Olin preparing everything she needed. Great staff.

Chef very understanding and accommodating. Arthur, just smart also.

There were so many YC crew to TIP that were 'over the top.

GLAD you're booking the B2B. We love it, makes for a really more relaxing, stress free (trying to get everything in) experience, plus one flight at each end.

Again, thanks.

Nice people.

Sorry, you are right! It was Olin I always wanted to call him Onil! Always smiling!

She ended up doing 15 books. It was 16, but one was a textbook for a class she is teaching this semester, so I won't count it!

Recently or next year?

Recent 16010.

Next 16003 (However, currently working with MSC to get a room with the same bed configuration we had in 16010; left side of bed closest to balcony).

Thanks, I should have said this time since you commented on how quiet it was. Not that noise disturbs me. A freight train could come through the cabin and blow its whistle and I would sleep on. We will be on Deck 18.

Thanks, I should have said this time since you commented on how quiet it was. Not that noise disturbs me. A freight train could come through the cabin and blow its whistle and I would sleep on. We will be on Deck 18.

Linda, we did not hear from one Yacht Club co-cruiser (at breakfast, lunch or dinner, in the lounge or at the pool deck) who stated that the rooms were noisy to the matter of inconvenient. We heard about possible chair movements above 18, however we learned that that was primarily when the pool deck crew was mobilized to pile up, store and tie down everything for wind and weather conditions (by order from the Bridge). Heck, we could hear the same in the lounge or restaurant when they did this. There were a couple of little ones heading up and down parts of the hallway between family staterooms that were separated; but it was really harmless. Maybe we also just lucked out with our neighbors and YC 18 above us (which for week 2 there appeared to be a bed jumper a couple of times, but again, nothing really of impact).

You can hear the pool chairs being set up on 19 from cabins in deck 18, but honestly it is pretty muted, lasts about 10 minutes and starts at the reasonable time of 7 a.m. this was from 18001. Otherwise, extremely quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can hear the pool chairs being set up on 19 from cabins in deck 18, but honestly it is pretty muted, lasts about 10 minutes and starts at the reasonable time of 7 a.m. this was from 18001. Otherwise, extremely quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Linda, we did not hear from one Yacht Club co-cruiser (at breakfast, lunch or dinner, in the lounge or at the pool deck) who stated that the rooms were noisy to the matter of inconvenient. We heard about possible chair movements above 18, however we learned that that was primarily when the pool deck crew was mobilized to pile up, store and tie down everything for wind and weather conditions (by order from the Bridge). Heck, we could hear the same in the lounge or restaurant when they did this. There were a couple of little ones heading up and down parts of the hallway between family staterooms that were separated; but it was really harmless. Maybe we also just lucked out with our neighbors and YC 18 above us (which for week 2 there appeared to be a bed jumper a couple of times, but again, nothing really of impact).

Thank you both for the noise information. I read about the pool chair noise and I wondered about that but when they move the chairs we will most likely be sitting on the balcony enjoying the balcony. Kids and noise don't bother us as we have grandchildren. We are so excited about our first MSC cruise even though it is not until next year! Meanwhile we started looking at other MSC cruises.;)

Hi Formula280SS,

Just a quick question...When you board, are the Yacht Club rooms ready or do you have to wait until 2PM?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, ours was ready when we arrived and we were in the first group to board the ship and the Yacht Club. The concierge desk had a list of all of the rooms and highlights on which ones were ready. It appeared to be quite highlighted. Maybe we were just lucky.

Upon disembarking, it is really noticeable how early many get off; in both the Yacht Club and ship-wide. When we left at 8:30, our butler guide said it has been really busy. On the way down, we took the close elevator, then were escorted though the maze line of departing guests ship wide (really long line, but moving). It was a bit embarrassing a couple of times as the butler (not ours) held up the round Yacht Club paddleboard so that we could 'pass. We walked to the aft and exited on a gangway that appeared to be just for us.

IMO, I would have rather walked an upper deck to the back elevators and then gone down. I don't know if all Yacht Club passengers had the same experience that we did.

The butler did not accompany us beyond the ship; stated he was not allowed to by US Customs (this has been mentioned a couple of times I believe on this forum).

Thank you both for the noise information. I read about the pool chair noise and I wondered about that but when they move the chairs we will most likely be sitting on the balcony enjoying the balcony. Kids and noise don't bother us as we have grandchildren. We are so excited about our first MSC cruise even though it is not until next year! Meanwhile we started looking at other MSC cruises.;)

Funny re: grandchildren. My wife is contemplating taking our older two (boy 4 and girl 6, now) on one of the weeks on our B2B in 2019. Although we didn't experience the same family experience as those outside of the Yacht Club, we say enough and talked to enough passengers to believe that it could work. And they are well traveled, well behaved and so D cute as hell.

We are also looking at Seaview out of Brazil down the road. We have no knowledge of what to expect, but will follow CC as she makes her way into the itineraries.

Also looking at Meraviglia out of New York itineraries.

Yacht Club for sure.