Costa Maya Question?

I'm sure this information is out there somewhere, I just have not been ale to find the right thread yet. My DW, DD, DS, DM and myself are booked for the Aug. 12th sailing on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. Many years ago we took a cruise that stopped at Costa Maya and we took a bus (I think) to a beach area that had a nice reef off the beach that made for a perfect beach area. I was wondering if that beach is still around and if it has a name or how I can get to it on my upcoming cruise. Thanks for the help, or steering me to the right thread.

I'm sure this information is out there somewhere, I just have not been ale to find the right thread yet. My DW, DD, DS, DM and myself are booked for the Aug. 12th sailing on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. Many years ago we took a cruise that stopped at Costa Maya and we took a bus (I think) to a beach area that had a nice reef off the beach that made for a perfect beach area. I was wondering if that beach is still around and if it has a name or how I can get to it on my upcoming cruise. Thanks for the help, or steering me to the right thread.

Try the Costa Maya forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

There are shuttle buses inside the port that will take you there or you can go outside the port and walk a couple of blocks and there are lots of taxis that will take you there as well. We took a taxi and it was actually a bit less than the shuttle bus

Mahahual is a wonderful little beach town and the shore snorkeling from the beach there is one of the best little secrets in the Caribbean.

We visited Mahahual a few years ago. Had a very relaxing day with drinks, lunch and shopping. There were ladies giving massages nearby. I seem to recall we walked a few blocks and caught a bus. The beach area seemed small but we are not beach people thus did not check it out.

We walk outside of the port area and take a taxi to the village.l. Just tell them you want to go to the beach in town. The taxi ride there is $3 pp and back is $2 pp. There are plenty of taxis waiting to take you back to the port. Lovely little village right along about a mile of white, sandy beach with very clear, calm water. and many beach bars/cafes.

Just wanted to say that we also went many years ago, back in the early 2000's. It is very different now. It used to be a dirt path, now they have paved it. Lots more aggressive vendors, not nearly as quaint as it used to be. Just wanted to let you know so you're not too surprised by the changes.

I was really surprised at how much the port changed too. You really do not have to leave it now if you don't want to. In 2005 there was not much there. Check out Tropicante, it sounds like what you are describing. They have a great website too.