Conch graveyard

ParRoo

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, it depends upon how long it takes to walk too. I did go, and it was HOT (my friend went back to the ship, as she could not take the HEAT), but it was worth walking the distance, no matter what it was. Normally as you walk, there will be someone "encouraging" to continue walking a little farther, and you never know what you will find. While walking along the beach, but actually up a little higher above the water, I did pick up a few shells, which I love collecting from where I have traveled, which now lay on my carpet in my living room. I finally found a light blue large shell, and was able to bring this home with me. Yes, it did have a small broken piece off, but I didn't care, as it was large and blue, and it is now in the middle of all my other shells. So glad I did the walk. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After you get off the pier, take a right and walk past the second dock used for excursions/ tours. That's where the Conch beach starts and it takes about 5 minutes (if that) to walk to. Waves can hit the shore pretty hard so your feet could get wet. Lots of shells and worth the journey! Our family went there in 2015 when we were on the Carnival Sunshine. There is also an interesting NASA exhibit up above.

Yes, you will pass the NASA area as well on the way to check out the shells. I did not walk along the beach, but a little higher up, but do as you wish. Just remember, it will be very HOT (the heat doesn't bother me), as the water is right there next to the beach while you are walking. I did bring my large shell on as well as some smalls ones, and no one said anything.

Are we allowed to bring "empty" shells back onto the ship?

It depends on the cruise line. I know Carnival will allow you to bring them on, but I've seen posts where others sailing on other cruise lines were made to discard them when getting back on. Even though Carnival allows this, we had ours wrapped up in a plastic back and packed in our beach bag so it wasn't obvious, but all bags go through the scanners when getting back on the ships.

I was able to bring my large one and small ones back as well. I do take zip lock bags, and pack them in this. I then put them in my large luggage that goes inside the airplane, and have never had a problem with getting them back safely.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI...John Heald (Carnival's spokesperson) announced posted this today on his social media page: "Please dont try and bring sea shells on the ships - they are not allowed and we have to throw them back into the sea before departure. Cheers". He then added the following comment: "I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT IF YOU PURCHASED THEM AND HAVE A RECEIPT THAT YOU CAN BRING THEM ON THE SHIP". :(

There were a few posts by others that confirmed this. One mentioned getting off a Carnival ship today that had a stop in Grand Turk this past week. An announcement was made before arrival in Grand Turk that bringing shells back on board was not allowed, but people still attempted to get them back on board and those were confiscated. Another poster mentioned they were doing this in December while on a cruise they were on with a stop in Grand Turk.

So newmil, I stand corrected that Carnival will no longer allow passengers to bring them on, unless they were purchased and receipt for purchase can be provided. I'm sorry for giving you incorrect information.

Part of the "fun" was finding your own and bringing it home. So glad we got to go in 2010 when it wasn't an issue. I'm just curious as to "Why" Carnival has changed their policy. On Carnival's website, under "prohibited items", there is a list of "exemptions". The last one is regarding sea shells and states "

Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism." I'm curious whether Carnival will be updating their website with these recent changes.

I had heard that was the policy from some on this forum before I went in 2015. It may just depend on the staff, time of year, etc. I brought 3 large shells on, I had 2 and my son had 1 and they asked to look at his bag so I thought I was going to lose that one but they looked at it and something else and let him go on his way. I hope they aren't strict on this policy forever since hunting for more shells would be one of the only reasons I would go back to Grand Turk!

• 2 weeks later...
Are we allowed to bring "empty" shells back onto the ship?

When we tried last October they took them from us when boarding the ship. They said that they have to throw them back off of the ship. There was a whole pile of them at the end of the X-ray conveyor belt

When we tried last October they took them from us when boarding the ship. They said that they have to throw them back off of the ship. There was a whole pile of them at the end of the X-ray conveyor belt

The same thing happened to us too on a Jan sailing of the Carnival Sunshine. They even took the few tiny shells I had picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The same thing happened to us too on a Jan sailing of the Carnival Sunshine. They even took the few tiny shells I had picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently Carnival is changing their rules but they really need to update their website so passengers will know that they aren't allowed back on the ships, especially if they are even confiscating smaller collected shells. It states in the "Exceptions" section under "Prohibited Items" that "Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism."

Here's the link to their site (mention of shells is at the bottom of the page):. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/carnival-cruise-line-additional-prohibited-items,-exemptions-and-other

• 8 months later...

Things may have changed, but about a couple years ago, I was able (had to do a LOT of looking) to bring back a nice large light blue shell. I don't know if the packing made any difference (it went through security when I got on the ship, as I had it in my beach bag) when I left the ship, but I packed it in my big suitcase, in the middle of some other clothes. I always take extra zip lock bags for items like this, for just in case.:)

Things may have changed, but about a couple years ago, I was able (had to do a LOT of looking) to bring back a nice large light blue shell. I don't know if the packing made any difference (it went through security when I got on the ship, as I had it in my beach bag) when I left the ship, but I packed it in my big suitcase, in the middle of some other clothes. I always take extra zip lock bags for items like this, for just in case.:)
Thanks! Last time I was in Grand Turk was 8 years ago! Excited for the opportunity to go back. At that time, I took 2 shells, not the best in color but still beautiful. I've never seen a blue one, sounds pretty.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks! Last time I was in Grand Turk was 8 years ago! Excited for the opportunity to go back. At that time, I took 2 shells, not the best in color but still beautiful. I've never seen a blue one, sounds pretty.

Yes, there ARE actually some that appear to be "blue", they are a very pretty blue/gray and they are very pretty. The two we got are bleached white and a cream/light tan color. Kicking myself now for not getting one of these pretty blue/gray ones too, but we also wanted to make sure that our suitcases weren't over the airline's luggage weight limit. Attaching a picture that has some of the "blue" ones in it. This was from our Glory cruise in May 2010. This was the beach just around the point/conch graveyard.

enhance

Yes, there ARE actually some that appear to be "blue", they are a very pretty blue/gray and they are very pretty. The two we got are bleached white and a cream/light tan color. Kicking myself now for not getting one of these pretty blue/gray ones too, but we also wanted to make sure that our suitcases weren't over the airline's luggage weight limit. Attaching a picture that has some of the "blue" ones in it. This was from our Glory cruise in May 2010. This was the beach just around the point/conch graveyard.

enhance

Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture