boatyard barbados

kaiser369

hi just wanting to know if when at the boatyard when the staff come round asking if you want to go see the turtles ,, is this free and included in the price of admission into the boatyard or is it extra,, i have been a few times but always just said no thanks as i was thinking always a hidden cost never find things free...

How difficult is it to get in and out of the boat? Is there a dock or is it like a water taxi where you climb in and out of the water?

Also, I have read that the $20 pp fee includes a taxi ride back to the port area. Is that in an automobile taxi or is it a water taxi?

Your ride back to the port is in a shared van taxi.

Thank you. That answers part of my concerns. We are seniors and are not as spry as we once were. Can you take the boat out and not snorkel? We would not care to jump off of the boat and climb back into it. Also, how do you board the boat to begin the trip?

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you. That answers part of my concerns. We are seniors and are not as spry as we once were. Can you take the boat out and not snorkel? We would not care to jump off of the boat and climb back into it. Also, how do you board the boat to begin the trip?

Hi Tip, my wife and I were at the Boatyard in mid December. I went on the snorkel trip and was very disappointed not to see/swim with turtles. I don't believe anyone has the opportunity to swim with turtles in this trip. To answer your questions, the boat is reached via the pier that is above the beach. I am 61 and didn't have any difficulty getting on the boat. There are steps at the back of the boat and you can step down into the water. Obviously you have to climb the steps to get back into the boat. There is no problems with you staying on the boat while people are snorkeling. My wife was given the option to stay on the boat while I was in the water.

I can also confirm that the taxi bus is included in the $20 admission cost. In summary, the day was good value for money but if you want to see Turtles, then go elsewhere.

Hi Tip, my wife and I were at the Boatyard in mid December. I went on the snorkel trip and was very disappointed not to see/swim with turtles. I don't believe anyone has the opportunity to swim with turtles in this trip. To answer your questions, the boat is reached via the pier that is above the beach. I am 61 and didn't have any difficulty getting on the boat. There are steps at the back of the boat and you can step down into the water. Obviously you have to climb the steps to get back into the boat. There is no problems with you staying on the boat while people are snorkeling. My wife was given the option to stay on the boat while I was in the water.

I can also confirm that the taxi bus is included in the $20 admission cost. In summary, the day was good value for money but if you want to see Turtles, then go elsewhere.

Thanks for this.

I am still rather torn on going to the Boatyard. Feel like Barbados is such a beautiful island and the turtles are such a "Barbados" thing that it makes sense to maybe see it on a grand scale (catamaran/Glory Tours, etc) rather than just a beach day at the Boatyard.

Boatyard is a great value for sure and I had settled on it, but starting to think this maybe a day to splurge a bit and possibly do less in say St. Thomas or St. Maarten (I am trying to keep within a overall trip budget and Boatyard day keeps me under while a catamaran puts me over) as those are places that are a little more regular as far as cruise stops go.

Ugh decisions.

Thanks for this.

I am still rather torn on going to the Boatyard. Feel like Barbados is such a beautiful island and the turtles are such a "Barbados" thing that it makes sense to maybe see it on a grand scale (catamaran/Glory Tours, etc) rather than just a beach day at the Boatyard.

Boatyard is a great value for sure and I had settled on it, but starting to think this maybe a day to splurge a bit and possibly do less in say St. Thomas or St. Maarten (I am trying to keep within a overall trip budget and Boatyard day keeps me under while a catamaran puts me over) as those are places that are a little more regular as far as cruise stops go.

Ugh decisions.

I understand your predicament, I thought the Boatyard trip was the perfect solution to combine a beach day close to port and the opportunity to swim with turtles for $20 but I was very disappointed when the snorkel trip only went to the shipwreck site. I don't believe the turtles are located here. I believe the Boatyard are misleading people in their website by advertising turtle swim.

My advice if you want to swim with turtles on a budget is to take the public bus (bus station located on Princess Alice Highway) for $2pp each way to Payne's Bay. Here you can go swim just off shore with turtles. Last time here I went with one of the glass bottom boat vendors. I believe I paid $20 for my trip. It was well worth the money as I got to swim with 4 or 5 turtles.:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Thanks for this.

Ugh decisions.

Having done both, if you can swing a catamaran trip, and enjoy that type of thing, that is what I would do. I think the turtles aren't as many at their normal sports due to the hurricanes. I have done a tour on Calabaza as well as Silver Moon and with a max of 12 people, you are truly catered too, they are amazing and you won't get that kind of service on most trips.

Having done both, if you can swing a catamaran trip, and enjoy that type of thing, that is what I would do. I think the turtles aren't as many at their normal sports due to the hurricanes. I have done a tour on Calabaza as well as Silver Moon and with a max of 12 people, you are truly catered too, they are amazing and you won't get that kind of service on most trips.

Yep I am definitely leaning that way . . . actually deciding between Calabaza and Calypso. Both seem pretty perfect.

We went to the Boatyard last January and we are planning on going again on our cruise next month with our kids! We loved it! The beach was so soft and smooth and it didn't get deep really fast. You can definitely take the boat to the turtles and not snorkel if you don't want to. It's a quick ride. We got there first thing in the morning, picked out some great chairs and got signed up for the turtles. By afternoon, we were brave enough to jump off the rope swing :)