Quantum Meets Independence Of The Seas in San Juan

Grover Beach, California
1,462 Posts
Joined Oct 2006

I recently did back-to-back cruises on Independence Of The Seas and got an unexpected treat as we sailed away after a visit to San Juan: a close encounter with Quantum Of The Seas!

It was ironic for me, as I had originally booked a cabin on Quantum Of The Seas, but got cold feet about the $8000 price tag for 12-days in a balcony cabin and ended up switching to 14-days on Independence Of The Seas and saving $3000 in cruise fare.

Our Captain was kind enough to give us all a heads-up that Quantum Of The Seas would be passing us in the harbor (and taking our place at the dock) as we sailed out of San Juan. I really appreciated the notification, as it allowed me to gather my camera gear and head up to the viewing area at the bow in time to shoot some video of Quantum. By the way, it was my first time on a Freedom-class ship, and I really loved how the design of the ship allowed passengers to roam freely on the ship's bow... which provided an especially great view when the ship sailed in and out of port.

For your viewing pleasure, here's the video I shot of Quantum Of The Seas from the bow of Independence Of The Seas in San Juan harbor:

By the way, this was only my second time on a Royal Caribbean ship, although I've cruised a lot on other lines. I really wasn't expecting much from Independence Of The Seas. I had sailed on Allure Of The Seas last year, and assumed I had already experienced the best that Royal Caribbean had to offer. I wasn't expecting to be very impressed with a 7-year-old ship which has now been surpassed by two generations of newer ship designs. Boy, was I wrong!

There were some things about Independence Of The Seas which were among the best I had ever experienced on a cruise ship. I liked the Windjammer Buffet so much that I never even ate a meal in the main dining room. Windjammer's selection was a great match to my taste in casual dining, and suited me better than any cruise ship buffet I've visited yet.

I also really liked the selection of Jacuzzis and swimming pools up on the top deck... especially the adults-only pool in the Solarium area. The funny thing about that Solarium pool was that during our back-to-back cruises, they heated the pool way up on the second week. The first week, it was normal temperature... but the second week, they heated it up to Jacuzzi-type temperatures. I totally LOVED that! I don't know why they didn't do it the same way both weeks, and I don't know which way was the normal way you would find it on an average week onboard... but I sure loved it when it was kept incredibly warm the second week.

I also really liked that the Cruise Director never made sales-pitches over the public address system in the cabins or hallways. The only times I ever heard the typical CD sales-pitches were in public areas of the ship. And I loved the Captain's informative noon-time announcements... and the videos of him explaining the ship's operations on the cabin TVs. I also liked that there was a volume control at the desk which you could turn up to clearly hear ship announcements in your cabin.

Entertainment in the evening was the problem area for me... it seemed to pale in comparison to what I was used to from Carnival, Princess, and NCL. Carnival really spoiled me with the way they offer four different stand-up comedians during a 7-day cruise. Comedy was almost non-existent on Indy. I also thought that the "headliner" acts they flew on to the ship were weak in comparison to what I was used to from other lines.

The one other really odd thing was that the Windjammer didn't even open for dinner until 6:30 PM. What's up with that? If I have an 8 AM shore excursion the next morning, I'm going to want to attend the early show in the main theater, not the late show. The early show starts at 7 PM. Windjammer should have opened at 5:30.

But overall, I really liked Independence Of The Seas... a lot! It would have been fun to have experienced all the new stuff on Quantum... but not for $8000 for a balcony cabin. Independence Of The Seas delivered a real nice cruise for a lot less $$$. I was impressed.

I'll post a full review with probably in excess of 100 still pictures... in a week or two. It's going to take some time to put it together. I just got home less than 24 hours ago... just wanted to post the Quantum video before heading back to work tomorrow. I hope you enjoyed it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise history:
May 2018: Norwegian Bliss Panama Canal Cruise
January 2018: MSC Seaside - Suite With Private Whirlpool On Balcony
October 2017: Norwegian Sky to Havana in the Owner's Suite
September 2017 Carnival Vista, in a Havana Suite
April 2017 Harmony Of The Seas
January 2017 Norwegian Pearl Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite!
January 2017 Allure Of The Seas
October/November 2016 Viking Star
July 2016 Liberty Of The Seas
March/April 2016 Anthem Of The Seas
January 2016 Norwegian Escape - The Haven!
November 2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera
September 2015 Carnival Breeze B2B
April 2015 Independence Of The Seas B2B
February 2015 Carnival Freedom 12-day repositioning cruise
November 2014 Royal Caribbean's Allure Of The Seas
September 2014 Norwegian Getaway - Haven Spa Suite!
June 2014 Coral Princess Alaska cruisetour
April/May 2014 Carnival Glory aft wrap B2B
January 2014 Sapphire Princess 4-day
December 2013 Carnival Sunshine Captain's Suite
September 2013 Carnival Conquest aft-wrap
April 2013 Carnival Breeze B2B
October 2012 Carnival Inspiration
August 2012 Carnival Magic B2B
March 2012 Carnival Spirit
September 2011 Carnival Valor B2B
March/April 2011 Carnival Glory B2B
January 2011 Carnival Spirit
November 2010 Carnival Spirit
February 2010 Carnival Splendor
August 2009 Carnival Elation
April 2009 Carnival Paradise
January 2009 Carnival Spirit
April 2008 Norwegian Star
Jan 2008 Carnival Elation
June 1996 MS Holiday

Coming up:
2nd Qtr 2018: Norwegian Bliss - Panama Canal
United States
16,142 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Thanks for posting. Your videos, in-depth reviews, and photos are second to none. I've learned so much about other cruise lines/ships through you. Glad to see you are booked for all the hottest new ships coming out. Any plans for the new MSC ships?
Upstate NY
1,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Thanks for the video! Glad you had a fun time, I absolutely love the Freedom class and want to return on one of them sometime soon.

Looking forward to your review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Disney Wonder - 2002
Navigator of the Seas - 2004
Freedom of the Seas - 2006
Carnival Dream - 2011
Allure of the Seas - 2013
Carnival Victory - 2014
MSC Divina - 2015
Anthem of the Seas - 2016

Click the ship name to view!
Allure of the Seas | June 30, 2013 | Western Caribbean
Carnival Victory | April 10, 2014 | Key West & Cozumel
Anthem of the Seas | June 02, 2016 | Bermuda & Caribbean

Boca Raton
3,802 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Freedom Class is my favorite class of ships!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nordic Prince (1983)
Enchantment of the Seas(2007)
Serenade of the Seas
Noordam
Caribbean Princess
Carnival Destiny
Norwegian Pearl
Carnival Valor (2008)
Ruby Princess (inaugural)
Carnival Splendor
Independence of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas (2009)
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Triumph
Navigator of the Seas (TA)
Carnival Dream
Celebrity Solstice (2010)
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
Carnival Glory (2011)
Brilliance of the Seas (2012): *Diamond cruise*
Mariner of the Seas (TA)
Liberty of the Seas
Carnival Breeze( Sept 2013)
Carnival Conquest *Platinum Cruise*
Serenade of the Seas (TA)
Carnival Sunshine (2014)
Independence of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas (Diamond Plus)
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Regal Princess
san diego
2,650 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Awesome video!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Live Review Jan 7th, 2018 Oasis of the Seas
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2581509

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2531981

Live review from Oasis of the Seas Jan 2nd, 2016
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293377

My Pictorial review of Labadee and Nellies Beach
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770883

My pictorial review of the Celebrity Eclipse:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1400893

Vision Hawaii 2000, Grandeur 2002, Legend 2003, Explorer 2004, Voyager 2005, Explorer 2007, Independence 2014, Naigator 2015
michigan
1,962 Posts
Joined May 2012
Nice video. Looking forward to your review. Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fortunate To Have Sailed:
Grand Princess, Carnival Valor x 2, Carnival Breeze
Voyager x 2, Explorer x 6, Navigator x 2, Adventure x 5
Independence x 3, Liberty
Jewel x 2, Brilliance
Oasis x 2, Allure , Harmony x 2