Walkie talkies

jazzyjen409

Are walkie talkies allowed on carnival? My son has a cell phone and will be downloading the carnival hub app but his cousin doesn't have a phone. It would be cool if they could keep in touch with each other as they are in different age groups and won't be in the same camps.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Forums mobile app

We tried to use them years ago - but there were so many sets being used and interference from all the metal on the ship that they were pretty useless. :(

More annoying then worth it.

But we used the walkie talkies when GD was in camp and needed to be picked up. When she was ready she just buzzed us.

what age group will the cousin be in?

With the hub app, my days of FRS radios I hope are behind me, but these 36 mile midland FRS radios worked flawlessly on the ship. We could talk from lowest floor on the bow to highest floor in the stern with no problem. They also have privacy codes which does not eliminate interference, but makes it very seldom. At $58 a pair though, I would have to agree that a monthly rental mobile phone may be a better choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484334003&sr=8-3&keywords=frs+radios

We have walkie talkies, but found that it was difficult to hear them when in a crowded noisy area. We've found them more helpful in port when our traveling group is on two different excursions & wants to meet up afterward.

Keep in mind those FRS walkie talkie radios are only licensed for use in the US. Those frequencies are licensed for other purposes in other countries, so using them in port or on the ship while in port will technically be illegal. Now the chances of any port police knowing or caring, especially if you're only using them on the ship, are practically none, but some people are sticklers for the rules. That said, tons of people use them on the ship and in port so it's worth a try. Just remember that those privacy codes are selective squelch, not encryption, so anyone else can listen in on your conversation by turning off the privacy code on their radio so they can hear all of them.

Keep in mind those FRS walkie talkie radios are only licensed for use in the US. Those frequencies are licensed for other purposes in other countries, so using them in port or on the ship while in port will technically be illegal. Now the chances of any port police knowing or caring, especially if you're only using them on the ship, are practically none, but some people are sticklers for the rules. That said, tons of people use them on the ship and in port so it's worth a try. Just remember that those privacy codes are selective squelch, not encryption, so anyone else can listen in on your conversation by turning off the privacy code on their radio so they can hear all of them.

Thanks for the great info!! I would not want to get stuck in cozumel [emoji12]

Sent from my LGLS770 using Forums mobile app