South Korea Busan Haedong Yonggungsa Temple

OCSO1984

South Korea Busan Has anyone taken the city bus from cruiseport to Haedong Yonggungsa Temple? How did you get there not using the cruiseship tour? How long does it take to get there? We are in port from 2pm-8pm. Thankyou for any suggestions.

Is ship tour an option and how expensive is it ?

We've done quite a few temple while on land-based tours, including this one by the East Sea but further north, a 2+ hour drive from downtown Seoul. It was beautiful and lots of walking for the 2 hours there.

f4239f377b08f0f50b7879a280d2f8b1.jpg

The referenced temple is 1.5 hours each way via a bus to bus transfer, including some walking or 3 hours traveling. A direct bus tour would probably be much easier & simple without dealing with the language barrier and fare payment for the buses, etc. - and, save some time + minimize the risk of missing the all-abroad call for sailing. Otherwise, a DIY tour likely leave you about 90 minutes for actual sightseeing.

A total of 6 hours in Busan is a very short stop for a port-of-call.

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in this information. I have just started looking to plan for our April 2018 cruise and noticed that there are no tour options for Busan in personaliser but there is for all other ports. I am wondering if this is due to the political climate at the moment.

I am also interested in this information. I have just started looking to plan for our April 2018 cruise and noticed that there are no tour options for Busan in personaliser but there is for all other ports. I am wondering if this is due to the political climate at the moment.

I am also researching for April 2018 cruise and I see Busan listed under general Port of Call section with various tours (including one to this temple, which we will certainly do) but under personaliser nothing is actually available to book yet as not 120 days out. Tours often come out prior to this so will be checking regularly, pity we have to pay upfront now. Wonder why there is nothing on your system for general info?

I am also researching for April 2018 cruise and I see Busan listed under general Port of Call section with various tours (including one to this temple, which we will certainly do) but under personaliser nothing is actually available to book yet as not 120 days out. Tours often come out prior to this so will be checking regularly, pity we have to pay upfront now. Wonder why there is nothing on your system for general info?

It is very odd as all other ports have excursions listed. Are we on the same cruise???

Excursions.pdf

Oh, different cruise. We are on Diamond for 8 day Spring Flowers on 20th April. Are your excursions actually available for booking now? If so I agree it is odd that Busan is missing. Do you have to pay upfront for your excursions?

Oh, different cruise. We are on Diamond for 8 day Spring Flowers on 20th April. Are your excursions actually available for booking now? If so I agree it is odd that Busan is missing. Do you have to pay upfront for your excursions?

Yes the rest are available to be booked. I don't think you have to pay for them up front. I haven't tried booking any. It just shows as it has on my other cruises.

• 2 months later...

In 2017, we visited Busan, and had an extra day stopover due to an impending typhoon that was about to hit japan.

Tours were listed for Busan prior to our cruise, so unsure why nothing is listed now.

We did our own trip and had a great day.We caught the shuttle into town and they dropped us next to the fish market (amazing to see but a bit overwhelming). After getting off the shuttle bus, we went downstairs to the trains and caught a train to Dadaepo Beach and had a wonderful day wandering along the coastline

In 2017, we visited Busan, and had an extra day stopover due to an impending typhoon that was about to hit japan.

Tours were listed for Busan prior to our cruise, so unsure why nothing is listed now.

We did our own trip and had a great day.We caught the shuttle into town and they dropped us next to the fish market (amazing to see but a bit overwhelming). After getting off the shuttle bus, we went downstairs to the trains and caught a train to Dadaepo Beach and had a wonderful day wandering along the coastline

Thank you for the info

Did options for Busan excursions ever appear for your cruise? Princess have just listed excursions for our Japanese ports but Busan is conspicuous by its absence. I am starting to worry with only 3 months to go and I can't get any helpful information from the cruise line.

Did options for Busan excursions ever appear for your cruise? Princess have just listed excursions for our Japanese ports but Busan is conspicuous by its absence. I am starting to worry with only 3 months to go and I can't get any helpful information from the cruise line.

Just logged in and checked and there’s nothing there for Busan. We are doing 23 nights around Japan to Vancouver. Every other port has excursions showing.

Its location on the sea is unusual and beautiful. One thing I can tell you for sure, though, is it is not a place for anyone with mobility challenges. LOTS OF STAIRS on uneven winding surfaces.

I've taken the city's double decker tour bus before. It's nice if you've never been there and inexpensive. Looks like their blue line loop stops there. I haven't been in a few years, but there used to be a bus stop at the National Maritime Museum (the strange building next to the cruise terminal). If not, just take a taxi to Busan station (~US$10). Taxis in S. Korea are quite affordable. Pick up a map pierside before you walk out the gate to catch a taxi. Make sure the driver uses the meter and follow along on the map to make sure they don't try to overcharge you.

Here's the link to the bus details: http://www.citytourbusan.com/en2/02course/03.php You'll want to check the timetables to see if it works with your timeframe.

I hope you are not docking there on a Monday, because the bus doesn't run on Mondays.

Edited by pacrimheather
Adding info

I am reluctant to go to the temple by ourselves due to time restraint. We are only in port 6 hrs and with the time for immigration and the length of the bus trip it would leave little time at the temple. I am really hoping that the ship will do an excursion there.

• 2 weeks later...
I am reluctant to go to the temple by ourselves due to time restraint. We are only in port 6 hrs and with the time for immigration and the length of the bus trip it would leave little time at the temple. I am really hoping that the ship will do an excursion there.

We're on the same cruise! The roll call isn't very busy but you might want to register if you haven't done so yet. I will do the same. I hope that the roll call will get more active so that we can share information and arrange private tours for those that are interested. We prefer those to the large, expensive tours from the ship.

Leslie

We're on the same cruise! The roll call isn't very busy but you might want to register if you haven't done so yet. I will do the same. I hope that the roll call will get more active so that we can share information and arrange private tours for those that are interested. We prefer those to the large, expensive tours from the ship.

Leslie

Busan excursions have just been posted - good to be able to go to temple on cruise excursion!