Cost cutting on Seabourn. Are you sure?

Able Seaman H

Currently on Sojourn and have been for a few weeks now.

I see a lot of people moaning about cost cutting here on Cruise Critic but feet on the ground I must be missing something.

The ship has just had a fortune spent on various bits of refreshment. We now have a TK restaurant on board which is great. Don't beleive all the "TK is rubbish" stuff posted, take up has been huge to the point where some people have moaned they can't get a second table at a time that suits.

TK options in the main dining room are regularly offered and arrive promptly.

Staff are still friendly with a number of stand out super stars. I have all the soap options sitting in my bathroom should I wish to change. Molton Brown flows like the champagne which lurks around every corner and gets sprayed with gay abandon during the caviar in the surf event.

On the subject caviar is offered as though it grew on trees and the were sufficient lobsters on Carambola beach for me to indulge in a brace of them.

I have managed to find something pleasing on the all inclusive wine list and spirits have been reviewed and upgraded. Had a couple of long talks with Brian, Seabourn's cocktail guru and am now drinking a cognac topped cocktail pre-dinner. All inclusive.

Just had a TK Nappa burger by the pool for lunch which far surpassed a typical beach burger.

Entertainment has been on point, Ross our CD has massively over delivered even down to copious amounts of crafting material for the home made tree decorations.

A lack of in suite TV during the initial part of our cruise and delayed boarding was dealt with by way of $250 OBC and a future cruise combinable voucher to the value of 10% of our cruise fare. We didn't notice it wasn't working.

And so the list goes on. Things change and Seabourn look to improve but nothing I've seen on Sojourn has caused me to utter the words "cost cutting".

So where am I going wrong ?

Henry :)

I still consider myself a relative newcomer to Seabourn. We hit 100 nights last cruise so will probably be around 115-120 by the time we get off.

I'd say we are pretty easy going and don't need much to keep us happy. Are there things we would have different in a ideal world, of course but we live in the real world. Certainly nothing is going backwards for us.

Maybe all the ducks just lined up for this cruise but I can't thing having Sophie as CD and captain Hamish will make it any worse :)

Henry :)

Happy to hear all is well on board. My experience is that the positives far outweigh the negatives on Seabourn. If you look hard enough you can find something to complain about, but we usually try to see the brighter side of things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take the same position although I am now on Quest for the Christmas Antarctica cruise.

This is a special type of cruise given the itinerary and 20 plus expedition experts on board. My first on it and I have met many first or second timers on Seabourn as well as several who have taken this cruise in past years. So an interesting mix overall. And our first zodiac landings are tomorrow at Half Moon Island.

The food, service, Christmas decor and organization have been exemplary. Cut backs? Nothing I see nor have heard about and we have a few hundred days to recollect.

Thank you for maintaining what we like best about Seabourn, Seattle head office!

Happy and healthy sailing!

I’m currently onboard Odyssey for the fourth time in as many years and thus far this is my best sailing on this particular ship.

Service and food offerings have been fantastic at the TK Grill, Colonade, and The Restaurant. Martin has his bar staff whipped into tip top shape. Jim, our cruise director, is an unobstrusive but seasoned pro. And we have the best suite stewardess I have yet to come across in the charming Lauren from South Africa (on Odyssey by way of the Little Sisters).

Many first timers on board for this cruise and many families. The average age has skewed far younger than I’m used to with many passengers several years junior to us. I’m used to being one of the youngest onboard but in my last two sailings, I’m now solidly middle aged. (Or to paraphrase the famous Matthew McConaughy quote from Dazed & Confused: “That's what I love about these passengers, man. They keep getting younger, I stay the same age.” ;)

Jenidallas, What a great report! I'm laughing about you being used to being one of the younger passengers and now finding yourself solidly middle aged. I remember so well being the youngest woman at so many events early in my husband's career---and now finding myself among the oldest as he gets ready to retire on December 31 (Yikes! That's Sunday!) How time passes. Have you enjoyed having the younger people and families aboard?

I’m currently onboard Odyssey for the fourth time in as many years and thus far this is my best sailing on this particular ship.

Service and food offerings have been fantastic at the TK Grill, Colonade, and The Restaurant. Martin has his bar staff whipped into tip top shape. Jim, our cruise director, is an unobstrusive but seasoned pro. And we have the best suite stewardess I have yet to come across in the charming Lauren from South Africa (on Odyssey by way of the Little Sisters).

Many first timers on board for this cruise and many families. The average age has skewed far younger than I’m used to with many passengers several years junior to us. I’m used to being one of the youngest onboard but in my last two sailings, I’m now solidly middle aged. (Or to paraphrase the famous Matthew McConaughy quote from Dazed & Confused: “That's what I love about these passengers, man. They keep getting younger, I stay the same age.” ;)

Jeni,

Sadly we departed Odyssey the day you embarked! We had a wonderful Christmas cruise that echoed all the compliments you have highlighted!

Although most of the crew appeared new to me, the competency and Seabourn hospitality were very evident.

We too noticed a younger demographic and many first timers who were engaging and enthusiastic! In fact the line for future cruises was longer than the coffee line at Seabourn Square!

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Kathy... it was either you or your sister who said (on last year’s transatlantic) “we have no idea what we did but we were busy every day”.

I totally concur with that. I know Jim first looked at the dailies and commented “wow, there isn’t much to do”. But we have yet to do several thInge he wants to do because of that casual “busy-ness”! He makes new friends very easily... I think he’s met at least 25% of the passengers already!

On the other hand, we’ve heard a few of the newbies complain about a lack of “organized” fun, assigned times/tables or expanded hours for dining, and how generally sleepy the ship is. One told us “it’s strange how everyone just seems to be okay with how quiet it is on here”. :o

Kathy... it was either you or your sister who said (on last year’s transatlantic) “we have no idea what we did but we were busy every day”.

I totally concur with that. I know Jim first looked at the dailies and commented “wow, there isn’t much to do”. But we have yet to do several thInge he wants to do because of that casual “busy-ness”! He makes new friends very easily... I think he’s met at least 25% of the passengers already!

On the other hand, we’ve heard a few of the newbies complain about a lack of “organized” fun, assigned times/tables or expanded hours for dining, and how generally sleepy the ship is. One told us “it’s strange how everyone just seems to be okay with how quiet it is on here”. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums