Snorkel with turtles at buck island, St.Thomas

jamin jul

We were there in late January and it was sad. We saw 1 turtle and of course it was a mob scene. The grass is slowly coming back. I would not waste your money if you really want to see something while you are snorkeling unless you have no other opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
We were there in late January and it was sad. We saw 1 turtle and of course it was a mob scene. The grass is slowly coming back. I would not waste your money if you really want to see something while you are snorkeling unless you have no other opportunity.
Hi

Was there not much for other marine life either? We've booked this excursion and although I'd love to see a turtle, I'd be satisfied with just good snorkeling. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Very minimal. Not sure I’d use the word “good” snorkeling. We saw some sea life but not much.
Thanks for the info. Did you hear if there was good snorkeling anywhere? Debating now whether to go ahead with the excursion or cancel and book something else.

Thanks for the info. Did you hear if there was good snorkeling anywhere? Debating now whether to go ahead with the excursion or cancel and book something else.

We haven't been in 2 years, so I won't know until we got back in April (unsure which excursion we are doing.) Last time we were there, we did a snorkel trip to turtle cove. There isn't much reef over there normally anyway. At the time, we did see several turtles and fish, but that was before the hurricanes of course.

We went snorkeling in St Maarten once after a storm, and the water was muddy and not good. After a short snorkeling stop, they took us on an extended tour around the island for the rest of our excursion time. It was wonderful.

We are looking at it this way-even if the snorkeling is sub-par, we will be on an excursion that offers a great catamaran ride and unlimited drinks after. That's worth it to us. You have to decide if it is to you. =)

We haven't been in 2 years, so I won't know until we got back in April (unsure which excursion we are doing.) Last time we were there, we did a snorkel trip to turtle cove. There isn't much reef over there normally anyway. At the time, we did see several turtles and fish, but that was before the hurricanes of course.

We went snorkeling in St Maarten once after a storm, and the water was muddy and not good. After a short snorkeling stop, they took us on an extended tour around the island for the rest of our excursion time. It was wonderful.

We are looking at it this way-even if the snorkeling is sub-par, we will be on an excursion that offers a great catamaran ride and unlimited drinks after. That's worth it to us. You have to decide if it is to you. =)

Thanks, that's a fair point and I was thinking along the same lines. We've only visited St Thomas once and didn't get over to St John so it's worth seeing. It's the first trip to the Caribbean for our daughter so we do want to get the most out of the experiences for our family. And I did book the fake pirate ship version so it would still be pretty fun!