Will the ship wait for you in port if you're late?

TravlGrl

What's the betting that these morons will sue the cruise lines for causing them to miss the ship ( :eek::rolleyes: ), loss of enjoyment, mental stress, cruelty, transportation to next port.,etc.etc.......and WIN !!!! :(

Like they say....there are a few in every crowd....

Lesson well taught !!

Cheers

We were in Costa Maya aboard the Carnival Miracle when a husband had to be taken off the ship because his wife never showed up. They held up the ship's departure for a half an hour while he and the ship's crew tried to reach her on their cell phones. They gave him 10 minutes to go back on board the ship and back a bag. We sailed without him and left him on the dock with his suitcase. Apparently she wanted to shop a little more. My husband would have killed me.

On what do they base the decision to go back or not?

Probably the Captain. I would imagine he has the last word.

The Captain is master of the ship and basically the CEO of a business. He is responsible for everything from the safety of the passengers, maintainence of the ship, public relations and the bottom line.

It would be his decision to shove off or stay. He could delegate the authority to make the call to another senior officer but chances are (IMHO) that he would have given the nod himself.

In the case of this video it appears that the 2 passengers were off on their own and either lost track of time or figured that the ship would just wait if they were "a little late". Too bad. As the voice in the video said "That will be the most expensive 5 minutes of his life."

Charlie

We were 5 mins late. When we got to the pier, they had already told our family they were sailing without us, pulling up the walkway when we arrived. My Mom had been sick (cancer) and was in a wheel chair. Needless to say, she ran in front of her chair to get the ship. Mom died last year, When we tell her story we still laugh.:o

We were 5 mins late. When we got to the pier, they had already told our family they were sailing without us, pulling up the walkway when we arrived. My Mom had been sick (cancer) and was in a wheel chair. Needless to say, she ran in front of her chair to get the ship. Mom died last year, When we tell her story we still laugh.:o

So sorry to hear about your mom. Did you make the ship?

The last cruise I was on, we had a stop in Cozumel for the day and were told that the ship would depart at 5:00 pm. All cruise passengers returned except two young ladies. The ship delayed departure for over an hour, but they never showed up, so the ship had to leave. After inquiring with the staff and passengers we were told the the two young ladies were using their cell phone for the time to return and did not take into account that the different time zone. Make sure you know what time zone the captain is using...mostly it will stay the time zone you departed, i.e. we departed 2 days earlier from Miami.

Found out that the girls had to make their own way to either the next port or to the departure city; at their expense. Their parents were not happy with them.

We were on a cruise a couple of months ago where the captain announced on the PA that he was "In a good mood and wanted to give the stragglers some extra time to get back on the ship." I recall us leaving about 20 minutes late while we waited for them. The good thing is that it didn't impact us getting into our next port on time.

As for the video I posted, the bummer is that it happened in Nassau, our last stop before heading back to Florida. If we had waited just a few minutes for them, we still would have made it back to Port Canaveral on time. We were required to be back on board at 3:30 p.m. with the ship sailing at 4 p.m. We saw them running at 4:02 p.m. Clearly late...but yeah, I bet that lady was bawling (though we couldn't zoom in far enough to see) just thinking about all of her belongings on the ship and their cost now to get back to Florida. Expensive mistake for sure! :eek:

Wow, a full hour is a long time to wait for a late passenger! Are you sure he wasn't one of the entertainers who was scheduled to board at that port? I only ask because it looks like he's pulling a piece of luggage! LOL

Love these videos! Makes me feel better that I am sooo paranoid with being back on time!

You and me both! We leave this Saurday on IOS and I assure you I will not be getting back to the ship late! I am sure of that!

i don t think he was one of the entertainers..all the while the

ship continued to blow it s fog horn s every 5 mins..

another couple arrived just befor the last guy..can t understand

why the guy would leave his girlfriend behind..

TriumphsWesternCarribean133.jpg

LOL! Ok, that picture is funny. The only thing I can figure is that maybe she sent him to run ahead of her??? (just to make sure they were holding the ship?). I dunno. Or, maybe it was HER fault that they were so late and they weren't speaking to each other at the moment so he left her in the dust.

Archived