Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:20 AM.
#1
USA
1,172 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
If I am booked with a friend and they cannot make it can they just no show and get refunded the taxes? I realize that the fare would not be refunded. How does NCL handle this?
#2
NYC
7,903 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
the port taxes and fees will be refunded weeks later after the cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014,2017), Norwegian Escape (2018)
#3
USA
1,172 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by shof515
the port taxes and fees will be refunded weeks later after the cruise
Thanks! So no issues checking in and sailing solo?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Escape 4/22/2017, Celebrity Summit 7/30/2017, NCL Jade 10/6/2017, NCL Epic 1/20/2018, NCL Epic 3/24/2018, NCL Star 4/22/2018 Transatlantic
Alaska on HAL Zaandam 8/28/2016, Celebrity Reflection 11/12/2016, Grandeur of the Seas 1/3/2017
Carnival Liberty 8/9/2014, Liberty of the Seas 11/1/2015
Splendour of the Seas B2B, 10/26/2013 and 11/02/2013 Oasis of the Seas 3/2/2013,
Carnival Pride 8/5/2012, Carnival Pride 4/17/2011
Carnival Pride 1/2/2011, Carnival Pride 6/27/2010
Celebrity Century 3/29/2010, HAL Eurodam 4/4/2009, Carnival Inspiration 8/25/2008
Carnival Liberty3/15/2008, RCCL Liberty of the Seas 8/18/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 8/26/2006, Carnival Legend 8/25/2005
Carnival Mardi Gras 6/1981
#4
NYC
7,903 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
no issues
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014,2017), Norwegian Escape (2018)
#5
1,740 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by 9876
Thanks! So no issues checking in and sailing solo?


Maybe you should let them know that they will not be making it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#7
Arkansas
31,960 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I am sure you have tried to find someone to take their place right? Yes, they will eventually get their taxes and port charges refunded, but I would let NCL know ahead of time the passenger will not be traveling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013, Princess 2014, NCL 2014, again 2014, 2015; about 2 do another NCL.
#8
1,631 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by newmexicoNita
I am sure you have tried to find someone to take their place right? Yes, they will eventually get their taxes and port charges refunded, but I would let NCL know ahead of time the passenger will not be traveling.
i dont beleive that this late you can change a passenger name.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas, January, 2011
NCL Star - Bermuda, July, 2012
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, September, 2013
NCL Breakaway - Bahamas, April, 2014
NCL Epic - Western Caribbean, November, 2014
NCL Jewel - Western Caribbean, April, 2015
NCL Getaway - Eastern Caribbean, August, 2015
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean, January, 2016
NCL Star - Baltics, May, 2016 (Non-Haven 2 Bedroom Suite)
NCL Sun - Alaska, September, 2016
NCL Gem - Eastern Caribbean, December, 2016 (New Year's Sail)(Haven 2 Bedroom Suite)
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, May, 2017
NCL Jewel - Alaska, September, 2017
NCL Jade - Cozumel, January, 2018 (Non-Haven Aft Penthouse Suite)
NCL Star - Panama Canal (West to East), April, 2018 (Non-Haven SJ Family Suite)


In the Works:
NCL Getaway - Western Caribbean, September, 2018 (Haven Penthouse Suite)
NCL Spirit - Italy and Greek Isles, October, 2018
NCL Escape - Bahamas, December, 2018 (New Year's Sail)

NCL Bliss - Mexican Riviera, April, 2019
NCL Escape - Bermuda, September, 2019
#9
UK
9,057 Posts
Joined May 2003
Re letting the cruise line know beforehand. Isn’t there the potential of getting charged a solo supplement if you do that?

I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but I’m sure I’ve read discussions on here where people have let NCL know that their partner won’t be sailing and the booking has been altered to a solo sailing with an increased charge. The advice given was that they should have kept quiet and just left their partner as a no show.

Again, I don’t know any of this from personal experience, but I’d hate the OP to end up paying more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Speciality restaurant booking guide - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...3#post51770633
#10
Parsippany, NJ
471 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by KeithJenner
Re letting the cruise line know beforehand. Isn’t there the potential of getting charged a solo supplement if you do that?

I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but I’m sure I’ve read discussions on here where people have let NCL know that their partner won’t be sailing and the booking has been altered to a solo sailing with an increased charge. The advice given was that they should have kept quiet and just left their partner as a no show.

Again, I don’t know any of this from personal experience, but I’d hate the OP to end up paying more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The solo supplement is because no one paid for the other half of the room. Her friend already paid the other half of the room.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#11
UK
9,057 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by Weetahbugdotcom
The solo supplement is because no one paid for the other half of the room. Her friend already paid the other half of the room.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d think so wouldn’t you.

However my understanding, from previous threads, is that NCL don’t always view it that way.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Speciality restaurant booking guide - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho...3#post51770633
#12
Ontario, Canada
3,012 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by KeithJenner
You’d think so wouldn’t you.

However my understanding, from previous threads, is that NCL don’t always view it that way.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Agree 100%.

From my understanding of this situation in the past people have indeed been charged extra for travelling alone after giving notification that one of the party is no longer going on the cruise.

Best bet leave it as a no show.

Rochelle




Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected].com




#13
1,740 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by rochelle_s
Agree 100%.

From my understanding of this situation in the past people have indeed been charged extra for travelling alone after giving notification that one of the party is no longer going on the cruise.

Best bet leave it as a no show.

Rochelle




Sent from my iPad using Forums


I’m talking about letting them know once they are onboard not in advance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#14
915 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by KeithJenner
You’d think so wouldn’t you.

However my understanding, from previous threads, is that NCL don’t always view it that way.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look at it like the other person who didn't show is not spending money in the casino, on NCL excursions or the on board stores.
#15
Oklahoma City
2,072 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
You can let them know when you check in at the pier on Day 1 that your friend will not be sailing. It is important for NCL to have the manifest of passengers correct by the time the ship sails, but as long as they know at check-in it won't be a problem for the manifest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judy & Buz
#16
NYC
7,903 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by KeithJenner
Re letting the cruise line know beforehand. Isn’t there the potential of getting charged a solo supplement if you do that?

I don’t have any first hand knowledge, but I’m sure I’ve read discussions on here where people have let NCL know that their partner won’t be sailing and the booking has been altered to a solo sailing with an increased charge. The advice given was that they should have kept quiet and just left their partner as a no show.

Again, I don’t know any of this from personal experience, but I’d hate the OP to end up paying more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I read somethings a few months ago on how other cruise lines is doing the same thing. if a person cancel, they want you to pay the solo supplement fee. No show is always the best thing to do
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014,2017), Norwegian Escape (2018)
#17
7,197 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by foxgoodrich
You can let them know when you check in at the pier on Day 1 that your friend will not be sailing. It is important for NCL to have the manifest of passengers correct by the time the ship sails, but as long as they know at check-in it won't be a problem for the manifest.

It won't be a problem for the manifest. No check in, no passenger on manifest. It will be correct.
#18
California
1,414 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by ColeThornton
They look at it like the other person who didn't show is not spending money in the casino, on NCL excursions or the on board stores.
Or their 20% gratuity and beverage service charge
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SAILED:
Carnival: 13 (90 Days)
Celebrity: 4 (28 Days)
Holland America: 1 (22 Days)
Norwegian: 2 (17 Days)
Princess: 2 (15 Days)

UPCOMING:



#20
1,311 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
My son was a no show in his cabin last year. There were no problems whatsoever and his port charges and taxes were refunded to my credit card quickly, without having to request it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Festivale March 6, 1988 (honeymoon)
Carnival Fasination 1995
RCI Legend of the Seas March 10, 2007
Costa Mediterranea March 1, 2008 (20th anniversary)
Norwegian Gem March 6, 2010
Norwegian Gem April 30, 2011 (Cousins cruise)
Norwegian Jewel November 26, 2011 (Surprise cruise, thanks Dad!)
Norwegian Jewel December 9, 2012 (Friends, family and 1st suite.)
Norwegian Breakaway September 21, 2014 (Bermuda Bucket List Cruise)
Norwegian Gem March 9, 2017 (Cousins cruising again - St Patrick's Day at sea)