Can OBC be used in the Casino?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:33 AM.
#1
Burlingame, CA
80 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I was wondering if on board credit could be used in the casino on board the ship? Like if you put money down on a future cruise and get OBC, where exactly can it be used? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#2
Northern California
29 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
I too am very curious about this; thanks for posting.
I'm wondering if you can use your OBC for: gratuities, specialty restaurants (a la carte) and the casino??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Sea -1999, Caribbean
Celebrity Constellation - 2004, Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit - 2005, SF to nowhere
Celebrity Infinity - 2007, Alaska
NCL Pearl - 2013, Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel - 2017, Mexican Riviera
#3
Ohio
1,675 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
There are 2 types of OBC. Refundable, which is usually the type that either you have bought prior to the cruise, or possibly your TA has given you. You can use that OBC for anything, and the unused portion will be given back to you at the end of the cruise. If you do want to use it for the Casino though, there is a 3% fee(like any other transaction, unless you're a high roller with players club) . Non refundable OBC, which is what most people have, cannot be used for anything that is not purchased. So, cash for the casino, or DSC is excluded. For non refundable, if you don't use it on your cruise, you lose the remaining portion.

As far what you get with Cruisenext certificates goes, YOU DON'T GET ANY EXTRA OBC! Let's say you buy 2 certificates. The cost of 2 certificates is $500. You're onboard account will be charged $500. The next line item on your account will show a $250 credit. So, the result is you pay $250 for the 2 certificates. There's nothing left over on your account to spend. NCL would be more than glad for you spend another $250 on board though. That's why they call it OBC.
#4
Cincinnati
3,722 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by debway
I was wondering if on board credit could be used in the casino on board the ship? Like if you put money down on a future cruise and get OBC, where exactly can it be used? Thanks!
If you put money down on a future cruise your OBC will be applied towards that deposit certificate; no need to look for a way to spend it.
#5
Arkansas
31,999 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Yes, we do it all the time all you have to do is go to the casino cashere and ask for X number of $$. There is a 3% service charge. All OB charges will be put on your account and any credits will be deducted at the end of the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013, Princess 2014, NCL 2014, again 2014, 2015; about 2 do another NCL.
#6
246 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by CruisinHarvey
There are 2 types of OBC. Refundable, which is usually the type that either you have bought prior to the cruise, or possibly your TA has given you. You can use that OBC for anything, and the unused portion will be given back to you at the end of the cruise. If you do want to use it for the Casino though, there is a 3% fee(like any other transaction, unless you're a high roller with players club) . Non refundable OBC, which is what most people have, cannot be used for anything that is not purchased. So, cash for the casino, or DSC is excluded. For non refundable, if you don't use it on your cruise, you lose the remaining portion.
I know this thread is a year old....

When settling up your bill at the end of the cruise, NCL will consume the non-refundable OBC first before the refundable one? I'm like most people, I have both type of OBC on every cruise I've taken. Non-refundable OBC from a NCL promotion, as well as Refundable OBC from the Travel Agent. If they don't apply it in the 'right' order, I can lose money on the table.
#7
In A House
4,400 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
As far as OBC and the casino officially only refundable OBC can be used to offset casino play. Some people have had success with their non-refundable OBC being applied but it is not the norm.
#8
Two Rivers, WI
1,293 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
When using OBC at the casino do you go to the casino cashier and ask for the cash or do you put your card right in the machine and request a certain amount? This is the way it was on Carnival Breeze (no fee either but I understand NCL charges 3%). The amount you wanted was just loaded to the machine. It was nice! Also, if I purchase OBC certificates from the NCL website, those are refundable, correct??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Escape 02/01/20 ~ Western Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 01/16/16 ~ Southern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 12/15/12 ~ Eastern Caribbean
Liberty of the Seas 12/13/09 ~ Western Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas 12/16/07 ~ Western Caribbean
#9
In A House
4,400 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by oolabab
I too am very curious about this; thanks for posting.
I'm wondering if you can use your OBC for: gratuities, specialty restaurants (a la carte) and the casino??

Gratuities - Yes
Casino - Maybe (only refundable - nonrefundable is very hit/miss but by rule only refundable even using the 'tricks')
Specialty - Yes
DSC - Only refundable (even though you did not ask).
#10
In A House
4,400 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by newmexicoNita
Yes, we do it all the time all you have to do is go to the casino cashere and ask for X number of $$. There is a 3% service charge. All OB charges will be put on your account and any credits will be deducted at the end of the cruise.

1) All charges go onto your account.
2) Any charges that can be offset with non-refundable OBC are done so (note casino charges cannot by rule be offset with non-refundable OBC but some have had limited luck doing so).
3) Any remaining charges are offset with any refundable OBC that you might have.

Items that cannot be offset (by rule) with non-refundable OBC include but may not be limited to casino charges and the DSC.

Note you CANNOT specify which of your charges get offset by the OBC. In the end it is 100% irrelevant anyway otehr than the refundable/non-refundable implications.
#11
In A House
4,400 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Jenner9
When using OBC at the casino do you go to the casino cashier and ask for the cash or do you put your card right in the machine and request a certain amount? This is the way it was on Carnival Breeze (no fee either but I understand NCL charges 3%). The amount you wanted was just loaded to the machine. It was nice! Also, if I purchase OBC certificates from the NCL website, those are refundable, correct??

Technically you do not 'use OBC' at the casino. You get a cash advance form them in whatever manner you want and pay the 3% fee. Then at the end of the cruise if you have refundable OBC, it will used to offset total cruise charges. There is no direct one to one link fo which specific charges are being offset with the OBC and you cannot specify which of your charges you want the OBC to be used for, as it is totally irrelevant other than the refundable/non-refundable implications..