Norwegian just cut short the March 3 PoA Cruise!!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:21 PM.
new york
24 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Has anyone tried contacting NCL or your Personal Cruise Consultant at NCL regarding the itinerary change? I spoke to my PCC and he had no idea of the itinerary change and directed me to the telephone number on the letter. Well, as luck would have it they are closed until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure we have hotel accommodations for Friday the 9th, can change dinner reservations and reschedule an excursion.
Burlington, Ontario Canada
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Romoad
Has anyone tried contacting NCL or your Personal Cruise Consultant at NCL regarding the itinerary change? I spoke to my PCC and he had no idea of the itinerary change and directed me to the telephone number on the letter. Well, as luck would have it they are closed until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure we have hotel accommodations for Friday the 9th, can change dinner reservations and reschedule an excursion.
I spoke with them earlier and they are putting everyone up in the Hilton Hawaiian Village, so you will be good for the 9th.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canadian Nurse
March 2018 Norwegian Pride of America (Hawaii)
May 2017 Norwegian Breakaway (Bermuda)
Nov. 2016 HAL Koningsdam (Southern Caribbean)
March. 2016 Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
Sept. 2013 Allure of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
Sept. 2012 Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
Sept. 2010 HAL MS Veendam (Bermuda)
Sept. 2006 Crown Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
Sept. 2004 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by yankees111
Would you rather the cruise ship not fix whatever the problem is and potentially put future cruisers lives in danger?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Of course not! But if it was that urgent, should it not be taken care of immediately? It seems strange that NCL was caught off guard by this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canadian Nurse
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by chengkp75
Well, I can't say what exactly the PR people are trying to say, but there really isn't any such thing as a one day drydocking. It takes 6-8 hours to pump out the dock, and the same to refill it. With the time needed to shift the ship to the Pearl Harbor drydock, that would only give less than 12 hours, at absolute best, for whatever is needed. Her last drydock was about this time in 2016, which was at the far limit of the statutory drydock interval. So, I believe that what is happening is that the ship is undergoing a "UWILD" (underwater inspection in lieu of drydocking), which ships less than 15 years old can do rather than drydocking twice in 5 years as required. This entails divers videotaping the entire underwater portion of the hull, and all underwater equipment like propellers, thrusters, stabilizers, sea chests, etc for the class surveyor to review. I'm a bit surprised that NCL was caught on short notice for this, but I believe that since the drydock was at the late end of the statutory window, they felt the UWILD could be done up to 2.5 years afterwards, but in fact it needs to be done within 12.5 years (plus or minus 3 months) of her delivery date, which would be Dec 2017, plus or minus 3 months, so Oct 2017 - Mar 2018. NCL has always had trouble with the regulatory differences between US flag ships and foreign flag ships, and this may be one more example of this.
That makes sense! I don't know why they wouldn't just say that!! Thank you for your insight!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canadian Nurse
CT
1,382 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by canadian-nurse
The cruise is changing from a 7 day to a 6 day voyage, and the ship will now call on Kahului, Maui on March 4th from 8am - 6pm instead of staying overnight as originally scheduled. "

We have had port time cut short, itineraries changed due to hurricanes, mechanical failures etc, but we have never had our actual cruise cut short by a day. And the way they modified the itinerary means that we have to rebook/cancel/reschedule 5/7 days of the cruise. I'm sure they did that because Kauai is seen as a better port than Maui, but we would have much rather they worked it the other way and only have 1 day affected.
I'm a bit confused - why would you have to change plans for 5 days? It sounds like the only change is that the last port is a single day instead of an overnight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April in CT

5/2018 - Caribbean Princess to Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao - 8 day
4/2017 - NCL Jade to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan & Harvest Caye - 7 day
12/2016 - NCL Epic to Great Stirrup Cay, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (Jamaica) & Cozumel - 7 day
2/2016 - NCL Spirit to Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten - 7 day
10/2015 - NCL Dawn to Bermuda - 7 day
3/2014 - NCL Dawn to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel - 7 day
10/2012 - NCL Star to Bermuda - 7 day
6/2012 - NCL Pearl to Alaska - 7day
10/2011 - NCL Star to Belize, Roatan & Costa Maya - 7 day
10/2010 - Radiance of the Seas to Cozumel & Costa Maya - 5 day
10/2009 - DCL Magic to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel & Castaway Cay - 7 day
4/2008 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2007 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2006 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
10/1999 - DCL Wonder to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 4 day
6/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day
4/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day
11 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by calmpets
I'm a bit confused - why would you have to change plans for 5 days? It sounds like the only change is that the last port is a single day instead of an overnight.
They changed the itinerary by cancelling one of the days in Maui which was the second day of the cruise- this every other day was effected.
234 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by calmpets
They changed day 3 (second day in Maui) and moved all of the other days forward. So nothing lined up anymore. It has been a big hassle for any tours/rental cars etc not booked with the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canadian Nurse
Long Beach, NY
446 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
I spoke with them earlier and they are putting everyone up in the Hilton Hawaiian Village, so you will be good for the 9th.
Not that it makes up for the missed day, but the Hilton has fireworks every Friday night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Arkansas
76 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
They also delayed the departure for the March 10th cruise to Sunday the 11th. We lost the first day in Maui but all the same after that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 22, 1999 - Carnival Fantasy
April 09, 2005 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
April 14, 2008 - Celebrity Century
May 10, 2009 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
March 17, 2013 - Celebrity Silhouette
April 9, 2016 - Celebrity Summit
February 12, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas
March 11, 2018 - Norwegian Pride of America

February 10, 2019 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

August 23, 2019 - Celebrity Millennium
Strollin' down the avenue that's known as A1A, FL
11,994 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by tempus137
Not that it makes up for the missed day, but the Hilton has fireworks every Friday night.
And it lasts all of four minutes. Yippie ki yi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#curmudgeonoftheseas
----
First Cruise: TSS Carnivale - March 1983
162 nights at sea and counting...
Next Up: Norwegian Sun

CARNIVAL - Carnivale, Festivale, Paradise (x2), Triumph, Miracle, Destiny, Fascination, Valor, Glory, Conquest, Liberty (x3), Sunshine

NCL - Norway, Skyward (x2), Getaway, Jade

COSTA - Costa Riviera

WINDJAMMER - Yankee Trader

PREMIER - Oceanic

RCCL - Song of Norway

PRINCESS - Star Princess

CT
1,382 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by HaoleGirl114
They changed the itinerary by cancelling one of the days in Maui which was the second day of the cruise- this every other day was effected.
They changed day 3 (second day in Maui) and moved all of the other days forward. So nothing lined up anymore. It has been a big hassle for any tours/rental cars etc not booked with the ship.
Ah, that makes sense to me now. I was misreading it as the final port was changed, not the first. My bad! You're right, that's a huge hassle, and you run the risk of popular activities already being booked up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April in CT

5/2018 - Caribbean Princess to Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao - 8 day
4/2017 - NCL Jade to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan & Harvest Caye - 7 day
12/2016 - NCL Epic to Great Stirrup Cay, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (Jamaica) & Cozumel - 7 day
2/2016 - NCL Spirit to Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten - 7 day
10/2015 - NCL Dawn to Bermuda - 7 day
3/2014 - NCL Dawn to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel - 7 day
10/2012 - NCL Star to Bermuda - 7 day
6/2012 - NCL Pearl to Alaska - 7day
10/2011 - NCL Star to Belize, Roatan & Costa Maya - 7 day
10/2010 - Radiance of the Seas to Cozumel & Costa Maya - 5 day
10/2009 - DCL Magic to Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel & Castaway Cay - 7 day
4/2008 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2007 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
9/2006 - DCL Magic to St Thomas, St Maarten & Castaway Cay - 7 day
10/1999 - DCL Wonder to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 4 day
6/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day
4/1999 - DCL Magic to Nassau & Castaway Cay - 3 day
1,740 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I understand that you are frustrated but stuff happens and it seems like you are being fairly compensated. So I would just make the best of it and have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7,581 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by chengkp75
Well, I can't say what exactly the PR people are trying to say, but there really isn't any such thing as a one day drydocking. It takes 6-8 hours to pump out the dock, and the same to refill it. With the time needed to shift the ship to the Pearl Harbor drydock, that would only give less than 12 hours, at absolute best, for whatever is needed. Her last drydock was about this time in 2016, which was at the far limit of the statutory drydock interval. So, I believe that what is happening is that the ship is undergoing a "UWILD" (underwater inspection in lieu of drydocking), which ships less than 15 years old can do rather than drydocking twice in 5 years as required. This entails divers videotaping the entire underwater portion of the hull, and all underwater equipment like propellers, thrusters, stabilizers, sea chests, etc for the class surveyor to review. I'm a bit surprised that NCL was caught on short notice for this, but I believe that since the drydock was at the late end of the statutory window, they felt the UWILD could be done up to 2.5 years afterwards, but in fact it needs to be done within 12.5 years (plus or minus 3 months) of her delivery date, which would be Dec 2017, plus or minus 3 months, so Oct 2017 - Mar 2018. NCL has always had trouble with the regulatory differences between US flag ships and foreign flag ships, and this may be one more example of this.
Right, it was supposed to get out 3/15/16 but was a day late.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Skyward - 1984
Princess - Pacific Princess 1985
Cunard Countess - ? 1986
Carnival - ? 1989
RCCL - ? 1994
NCL - PoA 2006
NCL - Spirit 2007
DCL - Wonder 2007
NCL - Gem 2008
DCL - Magic 2009
NCL - Star Pacific Coastal Sep 2009
NCL - Sun Baltics June 2010 12 nts
DCL - Dream Mar 2011 4 nts
DCL - Dream Apr 2011 3 nts (b2b) 9674
NCL - Star Alaska Aug 2011
NCL - Dawn Bermuda June 2012
PG - Paul Gauguin Aug 2013 726 & 728 11nts
NCL - Breakaway Mar 2014
DCL - Fantasy Aug 2014 12000
NCL - Spirit Dec 2015
NCL - POA TransPac Mar 2016
PG - Aug 2016
NCL - Gem Dec 2016
MSC - Divinia August 2017 - Pebble's Rad Grad Trip - 16008
MD, USA
219 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Sucks for all involved and I'd be frantic as all hell too... but I remember leaning on the rail late one night talking with the captain of Pearl (at that time) as we barreled across the Caribbean about the finer points of the lost art of radio navigation (a conversation he delighted in having actually) and we drifted onto why the cruise before us had been delayed. I was expecting to get some stock answer about HQ/operational issues when... in a very Norwegian accent Stig cracked a big smile and said:

"Weee soocked a tiiiire intooo a bow thruuuusterrrrrr"

"That'll do it" I replied

"Yeeeeees it will" nodded The Stig sagely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Platinum
Canada
1 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by djwool
They also delayed the departure for the March 10th cruise to Sunday the 11th. We lost the first day in Maui but all the same after that.
As djwool points out they also are delaying the next scheduled cruise by one day.

We are on this one and we got the email this morning.

We were supposed to leave on May 10 but now we get a night at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and depart on Sunday Mar 11.

Looks like the ship will be in dry-dock for 2 days to do whatever needs to be done.

They took one day off the end of one cruise and one day off the start of the next. No doubt they feel inconveniencing 2 cruise sailings by loosing a day each was better than cancelling one entirely.

Here is part of our letter:

The cruise is changing from a 7-day to a 6-day sailing embarking on March 11, 2018, and the ship will call on Kahului, Maui on March 12th from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm instead of staying overnight as originally scheduled.
Please review the revised itinerary information below - updated eDocs will be available for download on February 26, 2018:

Original: 7-Day Hawaii Inter-Island from Honolulu
Arrive Depart
10-Mar Honolulu, Oahu 7:00 pm
11-Mar Kahului, Maui 8:00 am overnight
12-Mar Kahului, Maui 6:00 pm
13-Mar Hilo, Hawaii 8:00 am 6:00 pm
14-Mar Kona, Hawaii 7:00 am 5:30 pm
15-Mar Nawiliwili, Kauai 8:00 am overnight
16-Mar Nawiliwili, Kauai 2:00 pm
17-Mar Honolulu, Oahu 7:00 am

Revised: 6-Day Hawaii Inter-Island from Honolulu
Arrive Depart
11-Mar Honolulu, Oahu 7:00 pm
12-Mar Kahului, Maui 8:00 am 6:00 pm
13-Mar Hilo, Hawaii 8:00 am 6:00 pm
14-Mar Kona, Hawaii 7:00 am 5:30 pm
15-Mar Nawiliwili, Kauai 8:00 am overnight
16-Mar Nawiliwili, Kauai 2:00 pm
17-Mar Honolulu, Oahu 7:00 am

We sincerely apologize for this unexpected change to your scheduled itinerary . We are providing you and those in your stateroom with a complimentary pre-cruise hotel stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village on March 10th. We regret that changes to the assigned hotel will not be possible to enable accommodation of all guests. Buses will be available to take your party and your luggage from the hotel to the pier for embarkation on March 11th between the hours of 10:30 am - to Noon.
If you booked shore excursions with Norwegian Cruise Line in Kahului, Maui on March 11th, these will be automatically cancelled and a refund will be processed to your original form of payment. Additional tours will be available for purchase on board for Kahului on March 12th.

Not sure how we feel about this yet. We lost a couple of shore excursions on this very expensive and now even shorter cruise.
NY
177 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Yikes - that really is a huge bummer. Especially if you booked excursions. I hope all affected can get things straightened out. I certainly would not be happy either.
6,037 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I’m sure this is costing NCL a pretty penny, losing onboard spending and excursions for two days, plus paying for the hotel. I’m guessing these repairs are necessary.
Peachtree City
593 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Roll with it...ask for help on excursions etc...one good reason to book em through NCL.

25% credit and The Hilton for a night seems fair.
Arkansas
76 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by PTC DAWG
........25% credit and The Hilton for a night seems fair.
IF you are able to use the 25% future cruise credit before 2/19/19. For those of us with next year's cruise already booked, we have to settle for the one day credit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 22, 1999 - Carnival Fantasy
April 09, 2005 - Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas
April 14, 2008 - Celebrity Century
May 10, 2009 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
March 17, 2013 - Celebrity Silhouette
April 9, 2016 - Celebrity Summit
February 12, 2017 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas
March 11, 2018 - Norwegian Pride of America

February 10, 2019 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

August 23, 2019 - Celebrity Millennium
Peachtree City
593 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by djwool
IF you are able to use the 25% future cruise credit before 2/19/19. For those of us with next year's cruise already booked, we have to settle for the one day credit.
Assuming not an NCL cruise, or I bet they would apply credit..