Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:32 AM.
Watkinsville, GA
361 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
I'm pretty sure the OP is yanking our chain, but for what it is worth, here is what happened back at New Years on our Rose Bowl trip, any number of which would have ruined a plan like this:
1: We were on the first of 3 flights for the day from Oakland to LA (after flying in the night before from Atlanta.) Flight from LA to Oakland (which was our aircraft never took off due to mechanical.) All 3 flights cancelled. Had to rebook flying out of SF, basically a 1 hour BART trip.
2. Flight from SFO was delayed 15 minutes boarding ( not bad) but then held on tarmac for 30 minutes due to fog in LA
3. When we finally got to the gate in LA it took 10-15 minutes to find someone who could operate the freaking jetway. Net effect deplaned at 7 pm instead of 10:30 AM. The joys of modern air travel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
333 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by KarlChilders
I'm pretty sure the OP is yanking our chain, but for what it is worth, here is what happened back at New Years on our Rose Bowl trip, any number of which would have ruined a plan like this:
1: We were on the first of 3 flights for the day from Oakland to LA (after flying in the night before from Atlanta.) Flight from LA to Oakland (which was our aircraft never took off due to mechanical.) All 3 flights cancelled. Had to rebook flying out of SF, basically a 1 hour BART trip.
2. Flight from SFO was delayed 15 minutes boarding ( not bad) but then held on tarmac for 30 minutes due to fog in LA
3. When we finally got to the gate in LA it took 10-15 minutes to find someone who could operate the freaking jetway. Net effect deplaned at 7 pm instead of 10:30 AM. The joys of modern air travel.

Heck, I just don't like the stress of trying to do a cross country flight waking up at zero dark thirty and then still having to deal with traffic to get somewhere in time. I've had every kind of delay possible on first thing in the morning flights. Plane didn't make it in night before, pilots got in late night before and needed another hour and a half mandated rest, light burnt out on indicator in cockpit that had to be replaced, and the best one - medical diversion when person next to me started to have convulsions mid-flight. Just don't want to deal with it all. Rather fly in evening before and rest before boarding. But everyone is different.
MA
341 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
This person obviously has not spent over an hour sitting in traffic waiting to get into the port area to board the Epic. There is usually a backup to get into the port complex and another to get into the Epic terminal. Then a long walk and another line to go through security. If his plan works once it likely won't work twice. Don't be this guy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Wonder 2005
NCL Spirit 2006
RCI Mariner of the Seas 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas 2010
NCL Gem 2015
NCL Epic 2016
long Island NY
1,845 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by ShakeDaddy
Land at 12:20pm on Saturday, it's only a 50 minute ride to the port 30 miles.

At the port by 2:45pm.

Last boarding on the ship by 4:00pm.

Good golly, no need to stay over in pathetic Florida.
Wow I'm used to people pissing on my homeport of NYC. Never heard anyone on CC refer to Florida as pathetic.
Homosassa, Fl and Colunbia, MD
2,830 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
People, read the whole thread and especially the OP's attempts to keep everyone wound up.

While he may be "planning" to cut it close for his cruise, he is certainly allowing a lot of time for an April Fools thread.
CA
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Homosassa
People, read the whole thread and especially the OP's attempts to keep everyone wound up.

While he may be "planning" to cut it close for his cruise, he is certainly allowing a lot of time for an April Fools thread.

West Coaster here. I'm also adverse to flying in a day early. I totally believe you can mitigate delays, etc. That said, even I flew in the day the last time I went to Orlando. MCO is a freaking madhouse on a weekend. It makes LAX look calm and quiet. I spent most of that day people watching off my airport hotel balcony (the Hyatt; coolest airport hotel setup I've seen so far even if the hotel itself is just meh) and it was nuts.

The MCO to Port in 30 minutes is what makes me think he's a troll. If he had just said it once, I could chalk it up to a mistake, but he keeps harping on it like ManicalCruiser does on the tipping issue.
Fitchburg, WI
301 Posts
Joined Jan 2013

Using Google Maps to get the driving distance gives you just that: the driving distance between those two points. Just getting OUT of an airport can be a 10 - 15 minute task when there are a lot of vehicles. And just getting to where your diver can drop you off at the port can be a 10 - 15 minute task the same way.

Not sure where the 4:30 comes from, the website says:
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.
5:00 sailing - 2 Hours is 3:00pm for all aboard.

Before you can get on board, you needed to go through the following:

Check-In: 10 - 15 minutes to get pictures taken, credit cards swiped, key cards issued, etc.
Health Forms: 5 minutes if not filled out before hand
Security at port: 15 to 30 minutes depending on line...not sure how many security lanes open this close to sailaway
Drop off at port: this can take 15 - 30 minutes depending on line of cars, traffic and porters availability.

If you do the math backwards, to get on board by 3:00 you need to get to port between 1:40 and 2:15.

Drive from MCO once you leave parking lot to port area before you get in queue to get dropped off: 45 minutes (if no traffic delays).

So, now you need to look at what it takes to get from the plane's landing time to inside your car at the exit of the airport. You need to leave MCO parking lot no later than 12:55 or 1:30.

Landing time is sometimes quoted as wheels on ground: allow time for taxi to gate, etc.
Disembarkation: depending on where you are on the plane, plan for 10 - 15 minutes to get off plane once you are at gate.
Depending on gate, distance to where you are meeting shuttle: unknown.

All luggage must be carried on, there is no time to pick up bags or wait for bags to be delivered to carrousel.
Can't risk shuttle, which may wait until full if there are later disembarking ships.
No time to rent car (no time to pick up, drop off or park) so private transportation must be arranged.

So, yeah, if you don't need to use the bathroom in the airport, you might just might be able to make it assuming everything works perfectly.

Good luck, you will definitely need it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holly

3/2018 - Eastern Caribbean - Norwegian Escape - adjoining MiniSuites with Large Balconies
5/2017 - Eastern Caribbean - Norwegian Escape- GTY Balcony
5/2016 - Baltic Capitals- Norwegian Star - Penthouse Suite with Balcony
3/2015 - Western Caribbean - Norwegian Dawn - Family Suite with Balcony + inside
3/2013 - Western Caribbean - Norwegian Star - 2 bdrm family suite
9/2012 - Adriatic, Greece & Turkey - Norwegian Jade - Balcony
9/1998 - Bermuda - Cunard QE II - Oceanview
142 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by FitchburgWIFamily

Using Google Maps to get the driving distance gives you just that: the driving distance between those two points. Just getting OUT of an airport can be a 10 - 15 minute task when there are a lot of vehicles. And just getting to where your diver can drop you off at the port can be a 10 - 15 minute task the same way.

Not sure where the 4:30 comes from, the website says:
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.
5:00 sailing - 2 Hours is 3:00pm for all aboard.

Before you can get on board, you needed to go through the following:

Check-In: 10 - 15 minutes to get pictures taken, credit cards swiped, key cards issued, etc.
Health Forms: 5 minutes if not filled out before hand
Security at port: 15 to 30 minutes depending on line...not sure how many security lanes open this close to sailaway
Drop off at port: this can take 15 - 30 minutes depending on line of cars, traffic and porters availability.

If you do the math backwards, to get on board by 3:00 you need to get to port between 1:40 and 2:15.

Drive from MCO once you leave parking lot to port area before you get in queue to get dropped off: 45 minutes (if no traffic delays).

So, now you need to look at what it takes to get from the plane's landing time to inside your car at the exit of the airport. You need to leave MCO parking lot no later than 12:55 or 1:30.

Landing time is sometimes quoted as wheels on ground: allow time for taxi to gate, etc.
Disembarkation: depending on where you are on the plane, plan for 10 - 15 minutes to get off plane once you are at gate.
Depending on gate, distance to where you are meeting shuttle: unknown.

All luggage must be carried on, there is no time to pick up bags or wait for bags to be delivered to carrousel.
Can't risk shuttle, which may wait until full if there are later disembarking ships.
No time to rent car (no time to pick up, drop off or park) so private transportation must be arranged.

So, yeah, if you don't need to use the bathroom in the airport, you might just might be able to make it assuming everything works perfectly.

Good luck, you will definitely need it.

And there is no wiggle room on the 2 hours. Something about manifest that need to be checked with Homeland or some such.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Syracuse, New York
51,498 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by mjkacmom
The OP is from Arizona, I’m guessing not a lot of weather there? Living under 25 miles from 3 major NE airports, delays and cancellations are common.

Doesn't matter, those planes aren't sitting in some magic garage out back with extras lined up. Of course there is the potential for delays and cancellations at any airport.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Michigan
203 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Sure, you might make I️t and chances are you PROBABLY will. However, why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and be too cheap to spend as little as $100 for a hotel to insure they will make I️t on time. I️ understand sometimes the are circumstances that don’t let you go a day earlier, but this doesn’t sound like that is the case. $100 is worth I️t just not to worry. This is an ongoing debate.

Syracuse, New York
51,498 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Homosassa

I certainly hope this is a hoax. BUT, there are a lot of naive people out there, that do think like this.

I was overnight in Lax a few weeks ago, arriving from a flight from Santiago. I was on an early airport shuttle for a Kona flight the next am- sitting with 2 other parties. BOTH had missed their flights the day prior. One couple was ranting about missing a cruise out of Long Beach, because their short Oakland flight was delayed. They foolishly- thought a 1 hour window was fine, and didn't bother booking the first flight out (I asked them) because it was "early". Could of had 3 possible flights instead of just the 1 they backed themselves into a corner with and lost.

The other couple, were flying in the same day for a Hawaii package deal, that they also missed, no insurance, and a very costly "tour" (no clue why they weren't just renting cars, what they were doing was drive up???)

So, the thinking- it's "ok" is clearly out there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
CA
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Budget Queen
They foolishly- thought a 1 hour window was fine, and didn't bother booking the first flight out (I asked them) because it was "early". Could of had 3 possible flights instead of just the 1 they backed themselves into a corner with and lost.
That's the key. You have to book the first flight out, or as close as possible, if you're doing same day on the West Coast. Try to avoid any flight past 8 AM. 9 AM is REALLY pushing it, but can be ok, if it's Southwest and it's one of the destinations with flights every hour. It's not the West Coast weather, but planes coming in from out of the area that can cause delays. The first one or two flights out are usually sitting at the airport ready to go, so little chance of weather delays. Plus, that early, and even if mechanical or crazy passenger delays, you've still got time to make it and/or switch planes.
Bermuda
4,053 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Shippy MacShipface
I detect a wind up by the OP

Go for it. It's your holiday. Start it any way you want.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yep, he IS winding us up with his plan.

Originally posted by DMH15
Just out of curiosity, on your 15 day cruise is it a transatlantic? Where is your first port?

It's Bermuda.

Let's see if ShakeDaddy has Plan B in place - it's gonna cost him $2,000 - ten times more than it would cost him if he flew in the night before the cruise. And possibly more than the cruise itself.

One way flight to Bermuda is expensive as are 3 nights in hotels plus meals. His cruise gets into Bermuda 10 April.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future cruises booked:
2018-Nov 12 - NCL JEWEL - Journey toDown Under from Singapore to Sydney
2019-Jan 20 - NCL ESCAPE - Southern Caribbean from NYC (14 days)

2019-Aug 2 - NCL SPIRIT - UltimateBaltics from Southampton to Stockholm (15 days)

Past cruises:

NCL SPIRIT 04/2018 - Mediterranean& Adriatic from Rome
NCL GETAWAY 10/2017 - Transatlanticfrom Copenhagen DK to Miami - via BERMUDA!
NCL BREAKAWAY 03/2017 - Florida &Bahamas from New York
NCL JADE 10/2016 - Transatlantic from Barcelona to Tampa
NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA 03/2016 - San Francisco-Hawaiian Islands-Honolulu
NCL ESCAPE 10/2015 - Maiden Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton England toMiami
NCL GEM 06/2015 - Canada & New England from New York
NCL BREAKAWAY 16/01/2015 - Two-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL JADE 10/2014 - Greek Isles from Venice Italy
NCL SUN 01/2014 - Southern & Eastern Caribbean from Miami
NCL GEM 12/2013 - One-Nighter CTN from New York
NCL DAWN 03/2013 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL EPIC 10/2012 - Western Mediterranean from Rome-Barcelona & then TA toMiami - B2B
NCL STAR 01/2012 - Western Caribbean from Tampa
NCL EPIC 10/2011 - Transatlantic Barcelona to Miami
NCL EPIC 08/2010 - Western & Eastern (due to Hurricane Earl) Western(again) Caribbean with Nassau - B2B from Miami
NCL SUN 12/2009 - South America Holiday - Santiago/Valparaiso to Buenos Aires(review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1118168&highlight=)
NCL JADE 12/2008 - East Mediterranean Holiday from Barcelona
NCL PEARL 03/2008 - Southern & Western Caribbean - B2B from Miami
NCL SPIRIT 12/2006 - Southern Caribbean Holiday from New York
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 12/2004 - Norway - Kirkenes-Bergen-Kirkenes
Hurtigruten FINNMARKEN 07/2003 - Norway - Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen
Scottsdale-Arizona
207 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Have you guys not seen the AZ spring weather?? Why wouldn't you think the 1st SWA flight out of Phx isn't going to land at least 20 minutes early, land at 12 nooner or sooner in ORL?? Driving from Airport to Cape C eastbound is soooo pretty easy all the way around.

No need to hurry up a day early and wait for 30 hours.

Won't even even miss same day 3pm Mustard..... Darn !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Like Why Not Cruising with: NCL-Celebrity-Princess-RCCL. And What Euro Step-Child,,,AmaWaterways...
** Future Cruises **
NCL Epic-TransAtlantic Eastbound 15 Nt. Florida to Barcelona April 7, 2018
NCL Bliss-Mexican Riviera 7 Nt. Oct 20, 2018
Celebrity Eclipse-L.A. to Hawaii to L.A. 15 Nt. Oct 27, 2019
NCL Bliss-Mexican Riviera 7 Nt. Oct 27, 2019
** 29 Past Cruises **

NCL Getaway-Western Caribbean 7 Nt. Nov 2017
Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt. June 2017
NCL Jewel-Mexican Riviera 7 Nt. March 2017
Royal Caribbean Harmony-TransAtlantic Westbound 13 Nt. Barcelona to Florida Oct 2016 B2B
Celebrity Reflection-Eastern Mediterranean 11 Nt. Oct 2016 B2B
Celebrity Solstice-Hawaii to Vancouver 10 Nt. April 2016
NCL Escape-Eastern Caribbean 7 Nt. Jan 2016
AmaWaterways River Cruise AmaCerto-Christmas on the Rhine 7Nt. Nov 2015
Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt. June 2015
Princess Crown-Pacific Coastal 7 Nt. April 2015
Celebrity Reflection-Eastern Caribbean 7 Nt. Jan 2015
Celebrity Solstice-Australia/New Zealand 12 Nt. Nov 2014
Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt. June 2014
Princess Sapphire-Mexican Riviera 7 Nt. Feb 2014
Celebrity Reflection-TransAtlantic Westbound Rome to Miami 15 Nt. Nov 2013
Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt. July 2013
Princess Sapphire-Hawaii 14 Nt. Feb 2013
Royal Caribbean Allure-Western Caribbean 7 Nt. Dec 2012
Celebrity Summit-New England/Canada 14 Nt. Sept 2012
Celebrity Millennium-Pacific Wine Cruise 5 Nt. May 2012
Princess Island-Panama Canal 14 Nt. April 2012
Celebrity Silhouette-Southern Caribbean 12 Nt. Nov 2011
Princess Sapphire-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt. July 2011
Celebrity Eclipse-Italian Mediterranean 14 Nt. June 2011
Celebrity Eclipse-Western Caribbean 7 Nt. April 2011
Princess Golden-Hawaii 14 Nt. Feb 2011
Princess Caribbean-New England/Canada 7 Nt. Aug 2010
Princess Golden-Pacific Northwest 5 Nt. May 2010
Princess Caribbean- Eastern Caribbean 7 Nt. Feb 2010

Scottsdale-Arizona
207 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Actually easier than I even originally planned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Like Why Not Cruising with: NCL-Celebrity-Princess-RCCL. And What Euro Step-Child,,,AmaWaterways...
** Future Cruises **
** 29 Past Cruises **

Royal Caribbean Harmony-TransAtlantic Westbound 13 Nt. Barcelona to Florida Oct 2016 B2B

California
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Any small delay and you are screwed, not worth the risk!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2004, Celebrity Mercury, Alaska Inside Passage, Seattle roundtrip
April 2006, Celebrity Century, Transatlantic San Juan to Rome
May 2013, Celebrity Silhouette, Mediterranean out of Venice roundtrip
June 2015, Celebrity Solstice, Alaska Inside Passage, Seattle roundtrip
July 2016, Carnival Imagination, Mexican Booze Cruise out of LA.....never again!
January 2017, Celebrity Equinox, Southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale
Upcoming....April 2018, NCL Star, Transatlantic Miami to Barcelona
Scottsdale-Arizona
207 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Thought you guys have rocks.

Even with a delay or two, not too challenging to get to the port in 4 hours
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
** Future Cruises **
** 29 Past Cruises **

Florida
33 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
As an retired travel agent I would NEVER advocate this plan of yours. I’m taking Koningsdam TA March 28,I live three hours away from FFL and will still drive down the night before,stay at airport hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
2,731 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Obviously Shakedaddy knows EVERYTHING and lives in a perfect world where saving the extra day and $85-100 for a pre cruise hotel by Orlando airport far outweighs the costs and hassles when his glass house shatters and everything goes wrong.......

Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING CRUISES:
Celebrity Summit 7nt Southern Caribbean 12/08/2018
HAL Amsterdam 14nt Great Alaskan Explorer 7/29/2019

49 Cruises / 382 Days at Sea and Counting!
Carnival - Elation 09/12, Freedom 07/14, Glory 03/13, Imagination 11/99, 11/02, Liberty 09/13, Victory 08/00
Celebrity - Century 10/11, Constellation 03/04, 05/13, Equinox 12/17, Infinity 03/06, Mercury 12/04, 09/10, Solstice 12/08, 11/10
Crystal - Harmony 03/02
Holland America - Eurodam 11/09, Noordam 09/07, Oosterdam 11/08, Ryndam 04/11
Norwegian - Epic 10/16, Escape 10/15, Norway 08/97
Princess - Caribbean 03/07, 09/14, 09/14, 10/14, 11/14, 11/14, Emerald 01/12, Golden 12/01, Grand 07/03, Island 10/14
Regent Seven Seas - Navigator 07/01, Mariner 03/01, Paul Gauguin 06/00, Voyager 05/03
Royal Caribbean - Enchantment 05/12, Jewel 11/07, Majesty 04/13, Mariner 10/07, Radiance 11/06, 02/10, Serenade 11/13, 04/14, Vision 11/12
Royal Majesty - Royal Majesty 03/93
Royal Viking Line - Royal Viking Sky 04/86