BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:04 PM.
398 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
There is conflicting information as to whether or not she was a spring break college student.
UDPs are available to every cruiser.
NCL is not responsible if you get drunk and do something dangerous and stupid.
It’s about time people started taking responsibility for their own actions.
You choose to try to climb down from Deck 16 to 15, or whatever it was, over the railing and you slip, it’s your own stupid fault.
I guess you won’t be cruising on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity or any of the MM lines going forward.
Try Disney.

Ultimate beverage option is only available for guests 25 and older on sailings from 3/1 - 4/15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Canada
40 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
We just got off this ship today and it was very disappointing. We travelled with two kids who couldn't even swim in the pool because it was taken over by college students and spilling their drinks and empty cups in the pool. We waiting 25 mins for a poolside drink. How could NCL allow this?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app
Central ct.
2,367 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by ColinIllinois
5. The buffet not set up in separate stations causing massive lines to procure food. Another issue is the fact you have to walk outside to gain access to the buffet while you can get there by walking through the passengers hallway not exactly the most convenient or desirable entry to the buffet.

That's not even remotely true.
The lack of a midship elevator makes accessing the buffet and many other areas of the ship more difficult than need be. Why would you design a ship that holds 4000 passengers without a midship elevator is beyond me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/url]
NCL Southward
RCCL Nordic Prince
NCL. Majesty
NCL. Star
Disney Wonder
Carn. Miracle
RCCL Radiance
RCCL Explorer Of The Seas
RCCL Allure Of The Seas
RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
Princess Caribbean Princess Europe 2016
Caribbean Princess Panama Canal
California
1,419 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by mjkacmom
UBP used to not be sold to those under 25, I believe, during spring break. I’m guessing people would be mad if it wasn’t offered at a perk during this time period. I remember going on spring break, definitely tons of drinking and no free booze.

This is correct
Ultimate beverage option was only available for guests 25 and older on sailings from 3/1 - 4/15.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SAILED:
Carnival: 13 (90 Days)
Celebrity: 4 (28 Days)
Holland America: 1 (22 Days)
Norwegian: 2 (17 Days)
Princess: 2 (15 Days)

UPCOMING:

Syracuse, New York
51,524 Posts
Joined May 2000
This was only a 4 day cruise?

IF the case, frankly it was unrealistic to expect anything other that what you got. Short Spring Break cruises, ARE going to have a lot of drunks, and problems. Not sure, why this wasn't even suspected?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Central ct.
2,367 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by ElaineKeagy
There is conflicting information as to whether or not she was a spring break college student.
UDPs are available to every cruiser.
NCL is not responsible if you get drunk and do something dangerous and stupid.
It’s about time people started taking responsibility for their own actions.
You choose to try to climb down from Deck 16 to 15, or whatever it was, over the railing and you slip, it’s your own stupid fault.
I guess you won’t be cruising on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity or any of the MM lines going forward.
Try Disney.

Ultimate beverage option is only available for guests 25 and older on sailings from 3/1 - 4/15.

Untrue get your facts straight all of the students had the package. In fact many told me NCL had agents on campus selling spring break cruises with the unlimited drinking packages.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/url]
NCL Southward
RCCL Nordic Prince
NCL. Majesty
NCL. Star
Disney Wonder
Carn. Miracle
RCCL Radiance
RCCL Explorer Of The Seas
RCCL Allure Of The Seas
RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
Princess Caribbean Princess Europe 2016
Caribbean Princess Panama Canal
7,221 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by smeck
The lack of a midship elevator makes accessing the buffet and many other areas of the ship more difficult than need be. Why would you design a ship that holds 4000 passengers without a midship elevator is beyond me.

Ma'am, the forward elevator and the stairs take you right up to the buffet. Unlike what you said earlier you don't JUST have to access the Garden Cafe from outside and you are completely wrong about the buffet not having individual stations. To say that seems quite odd. I really don't understand your complaint unless perhaps you have mobility issues..
California
445 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by smeck
Untrue get your facts straight all of the students had the package. In fact many told me NCL had agents on campus selling spring break cruises with the unlimited drinking packages.

They 100% had it at the age of 22. I talked to many who did. If they had not it would have been way better of a cruise IMO. Like I said I wouldn’t have minded a couple hundred coeds but this was over 2k, basically most the Greek life from one or two schools. It was way more than I would have ever expected. Over half the ship was them.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

...Another adventure awaits...

Norwegian Bliss 10-6-18 Mexican Riviera

---------PAST CRUISES----------

Norwegian Dawn 12-11-16 - Western Caribbean -
SOLO trip because I PASSED the CA bar on my first try and I need a dang vacation!

Norwegian Escape 7-31-16 - Western Caribbean-
SOLO Post Bar/Graduation from Law School-M.S.W. Program & 28th Birthday Trip!

Caribbean Princess 7-29-13 -British Isles-
The most wonderful family vacation that I will cherish forever! WHO IS FROM CALIFORNIA!!!!

Freedom of the Seas 5-27-12 -Caribbean-
College Graduation Trip! Wild times with Nana and the siblings!

Ruby Princess 7-16-10 -Grand Mediterranean-
First time cruiser. Wonderful family trip with an incredible itinerary!
Tampa
414 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Sorry to hear about your less than ideal experience.

But it was clearly an exception rather than the norm. I wouldn’t use this isolated experience to make a snap judgement about the entire cruise line. For example I’ve been to beach resorts during spring break and have seen much of the same insanity. However I realized that this was not the usual atmosphere and just the unfortunate consequence of the timing. So I’ve learned to not stay at those resorts during that time.

Also, if they had the UBP age lowered to 22 for the cruise like you mentioned I would think that would have limited it to mostly college seniors or graduate students. Not the majority of undergrads like you suggest. Most students are starting college around 18, right? I didn’t turn 22 until after I had graduated and I was on the same track as my peers.

In any event I’m certain that any moderately priced vacation spot in Florida and the gulf coast are inundated with Spring Break partiers at this time of year so it would behoove anyone who doesn’t want to be exposed to this type of crowd to plan their vacations outside of this timeframe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/19 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/18 CCL Victory - Miami, Nassau
9/18 MSC Seaside - Miami, Philipsburg, San Juan, Nassau
6/18 NCL Bliss - Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC
2/18 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
2/18 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay

6/17 MSC Divina - Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau
4/17 NCL Pride of America - Honolulu, Kauai, Maui, Hilo, Kona

2/17 CCL Victory - "Invicta Ocean Voyage" Full Ship Charter - Miami, Nassau
11/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/16 NCL Sky - Miami, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/15 NCL Star - Tampa, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya
2/15 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
2/14 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
1/13 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
11/12 NCL Sky - Miami, Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay
UK
1,326 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I think the spring breakers have coloured your view of the Epic unfairly. I know she divides opinion, but things like the buffet not having separate stations isn't even true. There may not be midship lifts, however there are stairs in the atrium so I don't see why people think that's such an issue, unless you are in a wheelchair or chronically lazy. However, I don't blame you for having a miserable time and for that making you biased against everything else. I wouldn't have enjoyed being on board with that crowd either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jan 2016 NCL Epic Canaries, Morocco and Madeira
My review of our Epic First time cruise
Oct 2017- NCL Escape Western Caribbean
April 2018- MSC Meraviglia Palermo- Genoa
Oct 2018- Independence Of The Seas mini cruise
December 2018- Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean Voyager
August 2019- P&O Britannia Norwegian Fjords
Daytona Beach, FL
186 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by C cruise
how do you know which rooms have the bed closer to the balcony? I will have room 11051 - and I don't have a clue how to tell..
You have to look at the deck plans and zoom in to see where the walls curve -- if your cabin has the curve on the outside, your bed will be by the balcony, if it's on the other side, bed will be in the middle of the room. And never fear, you picked a cabin with the bed by the balcony:

(Doesn't work, picture is at: https://pix.sfly.com/pEe62W)

Just have pity on your neighbours, they're going to be crabby, dancing past their cabin mates while trying to get ready in the mornings
Charleston SC
2,417 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
"Get off my lawn"

You are in CT (according to your signature) and wasn't aware spring break was in the Feb/Mar time frame? Thats on you.

There are 7284 different threads about the Epic and its layout on this message board. Again, that is on you for not knowing what you are getting into. (I did a 7 day Med cruise on it and found it fine.)

Talking about food is a waste of time. Totally subjective. One person's "awful" is another "just fine" or "very good".
I don't know what your complaint about the buffet is. I spent a week on her and never had to go outside to get to the buffet.

Unless you know ALL the facts about someone falling overboard, you probably should not comment. As we can see in just this thread, someone else who was on you same cruise disputes your claim about her.

You didn't have a good time, fine. Different strokes for different folks. But to blame NCL, for this stuff is unfair. YOU didn't do enough research prior to sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
This message sent using a piece of fruit.
Canada
1,686 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
wow - it really sounds like you had an unfortunate cruise..I wonder if this will make Norwegian rethink their spring break policies... there had to be many "adults and families" whose cruise was ruined by the spring breakers behavior.
Likely not.
Mass-market lines skew to a younger demographic.
30 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Man, I have this cruise booked in March of 2019 - now I can't wait! Sounds like fun

Somewhat kidding...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Costa Magica - December 2006 - Our first cruise!
RC Enchantment of the Seas - December 2007
NCL Sun - August 2018 - Bachelorette cruise!
NCL Epic - March 2019 - Cruising to come!
Arizona
11,583 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
wow - it really sounds like you had an unfortunate cruise..I wonder if this will make Norwegian rethink their spring break policies... there had to be many "adults and families" whose cruise was ruined by the spring breakers behavior.
So, do you think they should discriminate against college age young folks, while all other cruise lines allow them?
Dallas, TX
9,430 Posts
Joined May 2008
Can anyone comment how the Haven was during this cruise? And if Hanno was concierge?

I came incredibly close to taking this cruise in the DOS we cruised in last year. But decided on Red Rock in Vegas instead. But it was a tough decision.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna (Dallas, Texas)

Previous Cruises:
NCL Epic - Forward Owner's Suite (17004) - Eastern Caribbean (after
being cancelled TWICE by NCL)
NCL Jewel - aft PH - Western Caribbean from Tx - 4/15
Carnival Magic - aft balc - Caribbean from TX - 11/14
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. Caribbean - 03/13
Carnival Paradise - Baja Calif - 03/11
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. America (& Antarctica) - 2/09 (Favorite)
NCL Dawn - NYC to Nowhere -04/08 -
NCL Jewel - TransAtlantic to Greece - 04/07
RCI Monarch - Baja Calif - 03/05 - Family Reunion Cruise!
Celebrity Summit - Alaska - 08/03
Carnival Ecstacy - Bahamas - 5/00
NCL Norway - broom closet (Inside) Caribbean - 7/86 My 1st!!!
Florida
142 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by adjensen
You have to look at the deck plans and zoom in to see where the walls curve -- if your cabin has the curve on the outside, your bed will be by the balcony, if it's on the other side, bed will be in the middle of the room. And never fear, you picked a cabin with the bed by the balcony:

(Doesn't work, picture is at: https://pix.sfly.com/pEe62W)

Just have pity on your neighbours, they're going to be crabby, dancing past their cabin mates while trying to get ready in the mornings
thank you for letting me know -- I looked at the wall curve and thought I had the bed by the balcony - you just confirmed it -- I am so happy!!
Florida
142 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by NLH Arizona
So, do you think they should discriminate against college age young folks, while all other cruise lines allow them?
No, but maybe they should impose rules and enforce proper behaviour... OR have a warning on their site to people booking -something like .. This time period is during spring break...
6,055 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
No, but maybe they should impose rules and enforce proper behaviour... OR have a warning on their site to people booking -something like .. This time period is during spring break...
It’s spring break! I don’t know how you can not know about school breaks and their impact on travel. Heads up, don’t go to WDW during Christmas week unless you like wall to wall crowds. Do you think companies try to convince people not to buy their product?