Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:18 PM.
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
About to book our first cruise with NCL on the Getaway. We have 20 cruises under our belt on 3 other cruise lines. So what can we expect? It sounds like we need to make show reservations. We've never had to do that before. Any other differences we should be aware of? Don't want to board and not be prepared.
In A House
4,377 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
The Getaway is a GREAT ship. You do not NEED TO make reservations at all. If you absolutely 100% want to see a specific show at a specific time then you CAN make reservations. NCL is a LOT less structured than other lines. It is basically do what you want when you want (especially eating). There are no 'early' or 'late' seating. If you want to dine at the specialty places, you can book at the 90-day mark by going to MyNCL, however even if a place sells out pre-cruise for the date and time you want, do not fret. Only about 30% or so of the available slots are open for pre-cruise booking.
Florida
456 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
If you have a larger group reservations for dinner might help. On my last cruise when the group got bigger than 6 or 8 it threw them for a loop. The dining rooms operate like regular restaurants, so just like them if they don't know about a large group that takes more than two tables it can take them a while to open up enough tables next to each other.

And at least on my sailing saying we have a group of 14 but can be split up as we didn't care and that threw em for a loop too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/23/2019 - Norwegian - Bliss
12/9/2018 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
2/10/2018 - Norwegian - Escape
11/26/2017 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
9/1/2017 Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
7/8/2017 - Bahamas Paradise - MV Grand Celebration
9/30/2016 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
2/28/2016 - Norwegian - Getaway
8/21/2015 - Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
9/10/2010 - Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas
Rhode Island
19 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
You do not have to make show reservations but I highly recommend that you do at 90days before. They usually let those with reservations in first then if space is available open to others. You can always modify dinner and show reservations right on you tv.
39 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
The water bottle in your cabin is not free. They will charge you for it if you open it. NCL nickle and dimes you for every expense. Even Carnival is nice enough to put a do not open sign on the water bottle with a price on it.

This is just one example. Most of the food in the free restaurants do not taste good and are cold. They will want money from you in the specialty dining rooms for a better experience. You always have to pay extra money on an NCL cruises to have a good time.
Parkland, Florida
226 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I was just on the Getaway in the Haven last month. I also stayed in a family mini-suite on Getaway a few years back. What type of cabin did you book and what perks did you select? What is included or not included in your cabin varies greatly depending on what room you have and what incentives you've chosen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by Lupush
I was just on the Getaway in the Haven last month. I also stayed in a family mini-suite on Getaway a few years back. What type of cabin did you book and what perks did you select? What is included or not included in your cabin varies greatly depending on what room you have and what incentives you've chosen.
I haven't booked yet. I need a handicap room so not sure if any will be available when we want to go. We always cruise last minute, so to speak. I'm looking at 3 different weeks in April. I'd love to try the Haven but not on our first NCL cruise. It's a lot of money if we aren't pleased. I plan on choosing the UBP and Specialty dining. Gotta have a balcony though. Thanks for the tips.
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by Maniacal Cruiser
The Getaway is a GREAT ship. You do not NEED TO make reservations at all. If you absolutely 100% want to see a specific show at a specific time then you CAN make reservations. NCL is a LOT less structured than other lines. It is basically do what you want when you want (especially eating). There are no 'early' or 'late' seating. If you want to dine at the specialty places, you can book at the 90-day mark by going to MyNCL, however even if a place sells out pre-cruise for the date and time you want, do not fret. Only about 30% or so of the available slots are open for pre-cruise booking.
Thanks for the advice. Was hoping to not have to worry about scheduling and reservations. Haven't booked yet but looking at April. We can go at the drop of a hat so that's how we roll. Looking forward to it.
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by smplybcause
If you have a larger group reservations for dinner might help. On my last cruise when the group got bigger than 6 or 8 it threw them for a loop. The dining rooms operate like regular restaurants, so just like them if they don't know about a large group that takes more than two tables it can take them a while to open up enough tables next to each other.

And at least on my sailing saying we have a group of 14 but can be split up as we didn't care and that threw em for a loop too.

It will most likely be just the two of us. Maybe one other couple. I'd love to cruise with a group but no one can go when we want to. Thanks for the advice.
Texas
2,785 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Chris2018
The water bottle in your cabin is not free. They will charge you for it if you open it. NCL nickle and dimes you for every expense. Even Carnival is nice enough to put a do not open sign on the water bottle with a price on it.

This is just one example. Most of the food in the free restaurants do not taste good and are cold. They will want money from you in the specialty dining rooms for a better experience. You always have to pay extra money on an NCL cruises to have a good time.
Can we take it you won't be cruising NCL any more in the future? Wow...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Escape 6/3/17 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Escape 6/25/16 Eastern Caribbean (Escape & Haven Review)
Celebrity Reflection 12/19/15 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Pearl 8/2/15 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Pride of America, 3/15/14 Hawaii (POA review here) (Hawaii Rental Car Summary)
NCL Jewel, 12/29/13 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 8/5/12 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean
Colorado
695 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Boozebabe
I haven't booked yet. I need a handicap room so not sure if any will be available when we want to go. We always cruise last minute, so to speak. I'm looking at 3 different weeks in April. I'd love to try the Haven but not on our first NCL cruise. It's a lot of money if we aren't pleased. I plan on choosing the UBP and Specialty dining. Gotta have a balcony though. Thanks for the tips.
Who do you usually cruise on? I’m curious because I’m wondering about getting a handicap room at the last minute. We usually have to book far in advance to get a HC room unless it’s an EB transatlantic- those seem to be open last minute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Star Princess 1996 & 1997(Eastern Caribbean), 2012 (Hawaii)
Sea Princess 1999 (Western Caribbean)
Golden Princess 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005, 2008(Eastern) 2006 (Western), 2014 (9 day Caribbean Sampler)
Dawn Princess 2005 (Eastern and Western)
Emerald Princess 2007- (Transatlantic Venice to FLL), 2009 (Eastern Caribbean 40th Birthday cruise), 2015 (Western Caribbean); 2016 (EB Transatlantic)
Ruby Princess 2009 - Southern Caribbean
Vision of the Seas - 2008 (Mexican Rivera)
Liberty of the Seas - 2011 (Transatlantic)
Celebrity Silhouette - 2015 (Westbound TA)
Carnival Vista - 2017 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Constellation - 2017 - Rome to Abu Dhabi - Formula 1 Grand Prix!
Norwegian Breakaway - 2018 - B2B Western Caribbean
Texas
2,785 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
About to book our first cruise with NCL on the Getaway. We have 20 cruises under our belt on 3 other cruise lines. So what can we expect? It sounds like we need to make show reservations. We've never had to do that before. Any other differences we should be aware of? Don't want to board and not be prepared.
If you have 20 other cruises under your belts, you really know all you need to know. The product isn't much different from cruise line to cruise line.

About the only thing I'd suggest is making advance reservations for Specialty Restaurants if you have specific nights and times you want to go. But you don't even have to do that if you're flexible about your dining times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Escape 6/3/17 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Escape 6/25/16 Eastern Caribbean (Escape & Haven Review)
Celebrity Reflection 12/19/15 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Pearl 8/2/15 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Pride of America, 3/15/14 Hawaii (POA review here) (Hawaii Rental Car Summary)
NCL Jewel, 12/29/13 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 8/5/12 Alaska & Glacier Bay
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean
USA
11,477 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
You need to make reservations for shows and specialty dining. Complimentary dining is feeestyle, show up when you are ready and wait for the next table.
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by Id rather be diving
Who do you usually cruise on? I’m curious because I’m wondering about getting a handicap room at the last minute. We usually have to book far in advance to get a HC room unless it’s an EB transatlantic- those seem to be open last minute.
Our first cruise 25 years ago was on RoyalCaribbean. Sailed 6times on them. 2times prIncess and 12 times on Carnival. We have been sailing in a Suite on cCarnival lately. But they dont have a walk in shower. They have a tub. Ive never had an actual HC room but I know we would not be comfortable in a regular cabin. I use a scooter and also bring my own shower stool. Carnivals shower stool does not fit in their tub. Crazy!! I'm hoping we can get a HC cabin on short notice.
Bloomington MN USA
2,790 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by BirdTravels
You need to make reservations for shows and specialty dining. Complimentary dining is feeestyle, show up when you are ready and wait for the next table.
feeestyle Shirely you jest - Complimentary with a fee ? LOL !

Recent trends with the MDR show up get a beeper go off to a lounge/bar or somewhere a bit more comfortable
than SRO and when the beeper beeps go get seated - works great and this is a real customer pleasing deal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***
www = waves wheels and wings aka cruise ships trains and planes

NCL Dawn 10506, Quebec-Boston B2B 2nd leg 10/19-10/26
NCL Dawn 12522, Boston-Quebec B2B 1st leg 10/12-10/19
NCL Sun, 1203, Ship Positioning YVR-SFO 9/17
NCL Dawn, 12522, Boston-Quebec City-Boston B2B 9/16
NCL Dawn, 12030, Western Caribbean MSY-MSY 1/15
NCL Star, 12012, Panama Canal WB MIA-LAX 10/14
NCL Sun, 1010, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 07/13
Holland-America Westerdam, 8099, Alaska SEA-SEA 06/11
Carnival Victory, 8327, Southern Caribbean SJU-SJU 02/09
Carnival Spirit, 7154, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 08/07
Carnival Pride, 6137, MEX Riviera LGB-LGB 04/07
Golden Princess, Aloha 631, Ship Positioning YVR-LGB 08/06
Sea Flight Honolulu-Lihue-Honolulu 1975
MSTS Buckner, Bremem NYC 2/64
MSTS Darby, NYC Bremem 7/61
CAR FERRY Badger, Manitowoc WI - Ludington MI 7/53
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,083 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by BirdTravels
Free style is what we like. We will adapt as far as reservations for shoes and Specialty dining. Thanks.
Florida
456 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
It will most likely be just the two of us. Maybe one other couple. I'd love to cruise with a group but no one can go when we want to. Thanks for the advice.
For less then four I think the most I've waited is no more than ten minutes, but we were eating after 8 each night and didn't mind walking to a different MDR if the one we went to had a wait.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/23/2019 - Norwegian - Bliss
12/9/2018 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
2/10/2018 - Norwegian - Escape
11/26/2017 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
9/1/2017 Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
7/8/2017 - Bahamas Paradise - MV Grand Celebration
9/30/2016 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
2/28/2016 - Norwegian - Getaway
8/21/2015 - Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
9/10/2010 - Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas
Bloomington MN USA
2,790 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Our first cruise 25 years ago was on RoyalCaribbean. Sailed 6times on them. 2times prIncess and 12 times on Carnival. We have been sailing in a Suite on cCarnival lately. But they dont have a walk in shower. They have a tub. Ive never had an actual HC room but I know we would not be comfortable in a regular cabin. I use a scooter and also bring my own shower stool. Carnivals shower stool does not fit in their tub. Crazy!! I'm hoping we can get a HC cabin on short notice.
If you require a HC cabin - when you make your reservation make it known to NCL that you do require one OR
one that will cater to your specific needs. If all the HC cabins are booked (by mobility impaired guests) then the
situation is seeing if an alternate solution is possible.
If one of those HC cabins is booked by someone not really needing it then NCL can bump that guest out and
move them somewhere else.
Not the case then you will have to accept whatever alternate cabin can best suit you.
On some ships deluxe balcony and suites can accommodate HC guests - what fare they will charge for this is
a matter of discussion with NCL.

Regarding the shower stool that you use - there is no standard design of bath facilities.
It may not work on RCCL Carnival HAL or Princess and you certainly will find out on NCL if it does.
I may offer a solution if in a balcony cabin take the deck chair off the balcony and use it in the shower/bath.

Other readers may have solutions - perhaps using the SPA facility for bathing showering.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***
www = waves wheels and wings aka cruise ships trains and planes

NCL Dawn 10506, Quebec-Boston B2B 2nd leg 10/19-10/26
NCL Dawn 12522, Boston-Quebec B2B 1st leg 10/12-10/19
NCL Sun, 1203, Ship Positioning YVR-SFO 9/17
NCL Dawn, 12522, Boston-Quebec City-Boston B2B 9/16
NCL Dawn, 12030, Western Caribbean MSY-MSY 1/15
NCL Star, 12012, Panama Canal WB MIA-LAX 10/14
NCL Sun, 1010, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 07/13
Holland-America Westerdam, 8099, Alaska SEA-SEA 06/11
Carnival Victory, 8327, Southern Caribbean SJU-SJU 02/09
Carnival Spirit, 7154, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 08/07
Carnival Pride, 6137, MEX Riviera LGB-LGB 04/07
Golden Princess, Aloha 631, Ship Positioning YVR-LGB 08/06
Sea Flight Honolulu-Lihue-Honolulu 1975
MSTS Buckner, Bremem NYC 2/64
MSTS Darby, NYC Bremem 7/61
CAR FERRY Badger, Manitowoc WI - Ludington MI 7/53
6,037 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Chris2018

Almost all business hotels I’ve stayed in has the same nit free water bottle, even my kids know not to drink it. I’ve enjoyed all of the food in the MDRs, no need for specialty. Since it appears the OP is an experienced cruiser, he or she already knows about paying for extras, like photos, excursions, spa services, internet...
Daytona Beach, FL
186 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by VideoTech
Can we take it you won't be cruising NCL any more in the future? Wow...
He apparently had a bad experience on NCL and spent most of yesterday posting a similar screed on every thread he could find.