Irma damage to Ft. Lauderdale hotel

Nan_Sea

Does anyone know about damage to the Ocean Sky Hotel and resort in Ft Lauderdale? I am not having any luck with a Google search.

Considering that I get the message "We apologize. There are no available rooms for your desired dates. Please modify your dates or number of guests." when I try to reserve for anytime this week, they are either out of commission or possibly housing relief workers. If you post this question on the Florida Departures Board, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495, you may get a local (and when I say local, I mean in that neighborhood - my condo is about 8 miles up the beach) to respond. Good luck!

Does anyone know about damage to the Ocean Sky Hotel and resort in Ft Lauderdale? I am not having any luck with a Google search.

I would say you should call them next week. Since they are right on the beach they could have some damage on the lower levels.

Looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor I don't know why anybody would want to stay at this hotel! Maybe they will improve the place when they fix any damage but there are so many terrible reviews I'd feel uncomfortable booking there.

Looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor I don't know why anybody would want to stay at this hotel! Maybe they will improve the place when they fix any damage but there are so many terrible reviews I'd feel uncomfortable booking there.

I checked a few of the Hilton properties yesterday and had a sold out for your date at all the properties including Embassy Suites, Hilton Marina, Bahia Mar, and DoubleTree GalleryOne, all the Hampton Inns, etc. Maybe they aren't able to open or maybe they are actually sold out. Just checked again and they all still say sold out. I think there are still a lot of neighborhoods without power and as off this morning no access to the barrier islands except people proving they worked or lived there. Although the beaches were reopening with manned lifeguard stations. Go figure. This was on the fortlauderdale.gov website post hurricane Irma updates page. The port finally opened this afternoon.

Any word on the Hyatt Place at 17th street convention center. We have a room booked for the 22nd and are leaving the vehicle there while on the cruise.
Count your lucky stars on your timing on this one . Could have been really crappy to leave on a cruise , leave your car .Re route all over to avoid rough seas . And then come back to find your car was in a flood .

:D I don't want to make light of other people's misery. It's by shear chance that sometimes you dodge big trouble . This has got to put a wet rag on a lot of the Caribbean ports .

Edited by iamkingofall

We are staying at Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center this Saturday. We leave Sunday on the Allure. I spoke to reservations this morning. They opened today but as of now they are running on a generator. They did confirm our reservation for Saturday. You should be good for the 22nd.

Same here, called yesterday to confirm res on sept 22 and was told they would be back up in operation as of wednesday 13. Must be down power lines. If you watch the port everglades web cam at night, the whole city is lit up with lights. Must just be spotty here and there.

Appreciate reading these details and follow-ups. Hoping for the best in Florida and especially for those in the affected areas of the Caribbean. Keep sharing such information and background.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,008 views for this posting.