Beverage package question - found out I can't drink on my cruise

Lindsay564

I have the classic beverage package as a perk. Because of a new medication I'm on, I can't drink right now and won't be able to for my March Equinox cruise :loudcry:

I understand from reading this board that I may or may not be able to switch from the classic alcohol package to the premium non-alcohol package by asking at Guest Services. My understanding is that the main benefit of the switch is premium waters, Vitamin Water, and Red Bull. The only thing from that I'd use is Perrier, but I'd probably be just as happy with club soda and lime :)

Here's my question: I'd like to try getting some "mocktail" versions of some of the fancy drinks I'd been reading about before my no-drinking bad news. I'm also planning to get things like virgin pina coladas and the non-alcoholic versions of the drinks from Slush.

Will I be able to get all of those if I keep the classic alcohol package? Are there any of those I won't be able to get if I switch to the premium non-alcohol package? I just want to make sure I don't inadvertently limit my options by switching if I'm only going to slightly benefit from the premium waters.

Hope that made sense! Thanks!

Celebrity drink menus include "zero-proof" drinks -- cocktail-like concoctions that look more interesting than simple soda or juice but don't incude alcohol. I haven't tried them, but my friend who doesn't drink alcohol enjoyed some of the zero-proof options on our cruise. She had the premium nonalcoholic drink package, and everything she ordered was covered; I don't know whether the classic packages include those drinks as well.

You could find some of the zero-proof options by searching online for Celebrity's drink menus.

The classic package will cover virgin drinks, frozen and not. It will also include sodas, specialty coffees and teas (with and without alcohol) at Café al Baccio and everywhere else on the ship except your room mini-bar and room service. It will include bottled water, but not premium waters like Perrier and San Pellegrino.

The classic package will cover virgin drinks, frozen and not. It will also include sodas, specialty coffees and teas (with and without alcohol) at Café al Baccio and everywhere else on the ship except your room mini-bar and room service. It will include bottled water, but not premium waters like Perrier and San Pellegrino.

I would also recommend staying with the classic package even though you cannot get Perrier or San Pellegrino without charge. Although, with the classic package, you can now just pay the difference between the limit and the cost of the drink. And ... you did mention club soda would be acceptable and that would be included under the classic package.

Forgive a few silly questions - drinks.

We have a classic drink package and I am sure that will cover our needs. When we cruised with Princess the 'ordinary' (non speciality) tea, coffee and hot chocolates were free as were fruit juices in the Horizon Court (self service buffet) What, if any, drinks are freely available, for no charge.

I saw a picture of a Celebrity cabin, and there was a kettle. Are there really kettles in the cabins, or do we have to use room service - we have a concierge class cabin.

Looking forward to a nice cup of tea on our balcony!

I like a glass of water in the morning, when we sailed with Princess we were told that no water could be taken on board so we bought the (very reasonable) water package so we had water in the cabins at all times. Can you take bottled water on board.

Thanks in advance.

Forgive a few silly questions - drinks.

We have a classic drink package and I am sure that will cover our needs. When we cruised with Princess the 'ordinary' (non speciality) tea, coffee and hot chocolates were free as were fruit juices in the Horizon Court (self service buffet) What, if any, drinks are freely available, for no charge.

I saw a picture of a Celebrity cabin, and there was a kettle. Are there really kettles in the cabins, or do we have to use room service - we have a concierge class cabin.

Looking forward to a nice cup of tea on our balcony!

I like a glass of water in the morning, when we sailed with Princess we were told that no water could be taken on board so we bought the (very reasonable) water package so we had water in the cabins at all times. Can you take bottled water on board.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can take bottled water on board, however you can get bottled water (not Perrier or San Pellegrino) on the classic beverage package as much as you want, so I wouldn't bother. There will be a bottle of water in your room, which if you drink you will be charged. We just get bottles throughout the day and keep them in our room. In the OVC (buffet) there is standard coffee and tea, hot chocolate, milk, juice, lemonade and iced tea. You can also use your beverage package in all dining locations on the ship except for room service and your cabin mini bar. Those are available in all of the dining facilities as well. You didn't mention where your cruise departs from, but to my knowledge kettles are only on ships departing from Southampton. You can get tea from room service however if you are leaving from somewhere else. The beverage package also includes tax and gratuities, so you will not get an additional bill when you order a drink from it. If you order something with a price above the classic allowance, you will only be charged the difference + 18%. Your drink package will be on your seapass card, so you don't have to worry about informing your server what you have. We've happily been fine with the classic package and haven't found the need to exceed it.

Edited by Luvcrusn

OP, this is just a bit off topic, but if you are on a medication that will make you variations of uncomfortable if you drink alcohol, you should be aware that other things have alcohol in them and may make it uncomfortable to eat. I was on one of those medications several times last year, and by trial and error discovered I couldn't use some dietary supplements, my nasal spray, pain relieving ointments, deodorants and most important for you - those hand sanitizers are mostly alcohol. Inadvertent use of those items would give me a tight feeling in my stomach, so I would not feel like eating. Not an indigestion feeling - I've had a lot of that before... Read the labels on everything...EM

I would recommend going to guest services and having your package changed to the premium non alcoholic package. We had no problem (were on Summit) and it took 5 minutes.

The classic no longer includes smoothies or bottled colas such as seltzer water, and of course no Perrier or Pelagrino.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, this is just a bit off topic, but if you are on a medication that will make you variations of uncomfortable if you drink alcohol, you should be aware that other things have alcohol in them and may make it uncomfortable to eat. I was on one of those medications several times last year, and by trial and error discovered I couldn't use some dietary supplements, my nasal spray, pain relieving ointments, deodorants and most important for you - those hand sanitizers are mostly alcohol. Inadvertent use of those items would give me a tight feeling in my stomach, so I would not feel like eating. Not an indigestion feeling - I've had a lot of that before... Read the labels on everything...EM

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Luckily, I think my situation is different, so I'll be able to sanitize away!

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So it sounds like I should generally be fine with either package, with the exception being that premium waters and the non-alcoholic version of the drinks from Slush are only on the premium non-alcoholic package.

Based on that, I think I'll try to switch.

I guess the good thing about not getting to try all the fancy cocktails this trip is that I'll have more room to try the fancy desserts :')

My OH doesn’t drink alcohol and likes premium waters so prefers to downgrade to the Premium non alcohol when receiving the classic alcohol package perk. Out of 6 cruises where we’ve tried, they have allowed it 3 times. On those where they refused they have said it’s not possible despite allowing it on other cruises, all on the same ship Eclipse.

I would make a point that as you are on medication and cannot drink alcohol you want to avoid any risk of ordering a virgin cocktail only for it to come with alcohol. That might clinch it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk