Any cruise fare reductions, PERKS or OBC AFTER booking and final payment was made?

herr40

Has anyone been successful in getting any type of perk, OBCor Price reduction on a cruise which they have already paid final payment?

We booked our 4/8/18 Eastern Caribbean Cruise in January. Wechose an AQ2 class with a senior Rate and no Perks. Now the price has droppeddramatically More than $500. Called the Travel agency , they offered an AQ1with 2 Perks for $600 more. This seemssilly. TA said we are out options.

Any suggestions?

You may be able to upgrade as indicated as long as there is an increase to your total fare. Otherwise you really have no option. Cruise lines change prices frequently up to and past final payment. Sometimes they are reduced, and sometimes they are increased. But with most cruise lines final payment means just that, and you are locked into that fare. You wouldn't expect to be charged more if they went up, correct?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Senior rates and resident rates, from my experience, usually aren’t combinable with the perks packages. I’ve booked$ cruises in the past which included several perks, and months later there was a drastic price reduction, but in order to get the drastic price reduction I needed to forfeit the perks. Celebrity was quoting us some awesome senior rates recently, but none included or were combinable with those 3 for free or 1,2,3 or go better, best, big promos.

We were originally booked on Silhouette 4/8/18 and booked last April. Since then, rates have fluctuated more wildly that the recent stock market. We had booked a balcony cabin, not AQ, and it was $2,475, which included alcohol package and $500 OBC.

In November, the same cabin on a senior rate with no perks dropped in price would have cost us $1,750, but the perks needed to be forfeited, and we figured the cost basis would end up being the same if we were to booze it up a lot and buy a few specialty dinners.

We even discussed forfeiting all perks and upgrading to AQ, as AQ would have cost I believe approximately $2,200 per couple, but in the end we postponed this cruise and rebooked another

Edited by 4cats4me

For our upcoming cruise next month, we received a free upgrade from an SV to a C1 and kept our BP perk when prices dropped after final payment. Our big box TA spent quite a bit of time talking to Celebrity, but the outcome was worth it.

Has anyone been successful in getting any type of perk, OBCor Price reduction on a cruise which they have already paid final payment?
Yes, many people have, and it often comes in the form of a stateroom upgrade, where you receive the additional perks that come with the higher level stateroom.

Celebrity's official policy has been that you may upgrade after final payment if the stateroom to which you want to upgrade is priced at least one dollar more than you paid for your current stateroom.

But in reality, they will waive that requirement when it benefits the cruise line to do so, or under extenuating circumstances.

So yes, it does happen, but it is not something that you can routinely count on getting.

It happens when it benefits the cruise line to do so.

A recent example is the way they upgraded passengers on Caribbean cruises in the weeks following the hurricane devastation, when cruise prices dropped drastically across the board.

They were handing out upgrades left and right after final payment, bumping passengers up a number of levels regardless of whether they had booked with a TA or directly with the cruise line.

That way they were able to re-sell the lower level cabins, and did not need to end up cruising with empty upper level cabins.

Apparently some travel agents were trying to claim credit for the upgrades, the same way that some imply they are giving you perks that are really coming from the cruise line.

Edited by varoo

See different opinions one's successfully get the free upgrade after final payment. For us was denied the upgrade for Eclipse march 18, Now Concierges are cheaper than CAT 2C with obstructed view. I can believe it the last one's to book receive a better cabin with less money. this is not fair.

We've been able to upgrade our room or change promotions after final payment date as long as it is equal to or more than we originally paid. No harm in calling to ask if they can switch you over from the senior rate to the rate that includes two perks since you will be paying more. The Caribbean sales are sluggish since the hurricanes so my bet is that they are more than willing to work with you on that. I would just insist that my travel agent call and see if he/she can work out a deal with Celebrity for you.

We booked our 4/8/18 Eastern Caribbean Cruise in January. Wechose an AQ2 class with a senior Rate and no Perks. Now the price has droppeddramatically More than $500. Called the Travel agency , they offered an AQ1with 2 Perks for $600 more. This seemssilly. TA said we are out options.

Any suggestions?

This is the case after final payment unfortunately. It is not just Celebrity. Most cruise lines practice this. There is nothing given as far as compensation whether it's OBC, refund or perks for your current category booked if the price drops after final payment.

The only thing you CAN do is upgrade to a higher category and pay the difference. Seems like you booked a discounted AQ2 rate without any perks so upgrading to a higher AQ1 cabin with 2 perks isn't silly. This is how it works unfortunately. The only other thing is if there's an AQ1 discounted rate without perks that's atleast $1 more than you paid for your AQ2 you can upgrade to that. But honestly, the difference between the AQ2 and AQ1 is location and nothing else.

If you and your travel partner think you will drink more than $300 combined then upgrade to the AQ1 and pay the $600. Choose the $300 OBC and the drink package.