Sojourn Post-Drydock

perlgirlnj

We are getting ready to board the Sojourn on Monday. We’ve been looking forward to this for a long time and we’re excited that it’s almost time. (We’re going to have to wait a little longer, because they told us to come a little later than usual due to the drydock.).

If anyone wants a report on the ship, let me know and I’ll try to post. Keep in mind, though, that I’ve never sailed the “O” class ships before, so what do I know?! [emoji846]

I’ve been reading these boards as time is getting closer, and everyone has been a great resource. Thanks for everyone’s help.

We are getting ready to board the Sojourn on Monday. We’ve been looking forward to this for a long time and we’re excited that it’s almost time. (We’re going to have to wait a little longer, because they told us to come a little later than usual due to the drydock.).

If anyone wants a report on the ship, let me know and I’ll try to post. Keep in mind, though, that I’ve never sailed the “O” class ships before, so what do I know?! [emoji846]

I’ve been reading these boards as time is getting closer, and everyone has been a great resource. Thanks for everyone’s help.

We will be on Sojourn for the 5th time in February.

We were on Sojourn in June in Alaska and thought that the quality and service were as good as ever.

Hope you have a great cruise and look forward to your comments.

I'm on the cruise after yours so would love to read some reports about the ship following dry dock. Any feeback would be welcome. Also if you can find out if there will be a big crew change for the holiday cruise.

I'm now super excited because we're next after you.

Have a wonderful cruise.

So we got a text and email message today, asking us to delay coming to the port, delaying embarkation to 3 pm due to “inclement weather during dry dock”. They arranged a shuttle back and forth to Lincoln Road Mall for those who can’t change their arrival at port. They threw in $50 pp OBC to compensate for the delay/lost lunch/time on board. We’ve now lost our prearranged shuttle from the hotel, which stops running at 1 pm, so a minor inconvenience. Couple that with a piece of delayed luggage—still waiting for it at 10:30 pm—and we’re looking forward to hitting stride on board because we’re not in vacation mood yet. Soon.......

So we got a text and email message today, asking us to delay coming to the port, delaying embarkation to 3 pm due to “inclement weather during dry dock”. They arranged a shuttle back and forth to Lincoln Road Mall for those who can’t change their arrival at port. They threw in $50 pp OBC to compensate for the delay/lost lunch/time on board. We’ve now lost our prearranged shuttle from the hotel, which stops running at 1 pm, so a minor inconvenience. Couple that with a piece of delayed luggage—still waiting for it at 10:30 pm—and we’re looking forward to hitting stride on board because we’re not in vacation mood yet. Soon.......

You could still take the prearranged shuttle to the port, leave your luggage (when it all arrives) with Seabourn and then take their shuttle to the Mall.

How do you track this? Inquiring minds want to know. Is there a webcam I can look at?

App/website - the one I use is marinetraffic.com. Search the ship and it will show you its current location. If it's within range. As I type, it's now 09.42 GMT so 4.42am in Miami, Sojourn has just now left dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas and is underway, heading to Miami at 11.8 knots.

Edited by Isklaar

We’ve been looking forward to this for a long time and we’re excited that it’s almost time. (We’re going to have to wait a little longer, because they told us to come a little later than usual due to the drydock.).

After reading your post I wanted to write that they meant to come the following day, but did not want to sound like a smart ass.

Serious question......after you're on for awhile, can you give us an idea of what is happening with the R2 space? Thanks....have a good trip.

A little update on the refit work.

There are now USB outlets either side of the bed on standard suites, 2 outlets one side and a single outlet on the other.

Work on the conversion from restaurant 2 to Thomas Keller is on-going. A soft opening of the TK Grill is planned for December 15th.

I shall continue to update and yes, we are on board. Couldn't say too much before as we were surprising someone :)

Henry, Sharon & Emily :)

I don't want to appear a total luddite, but what are the usb outlets for?

I know what a usb is, but what are they connecting with/to - or are they just for charging up your bluetooth speakers or something of that ilk?

They are there to charge phones, headphones, cameras and all the other stuff which normally requires a transformer and travel adapter. Very handy and also universal.

There are now USB outlets either side of the bed on standard suites, 2 outlets one side and a single outlet on the other.

I hope that Odyssey got these as well during their dry dock. We have two upcoming Odyssey sailings and it would be nice to know that bedside charging is a real possibility!

Work on the conversion from restaurant 2 to Thomas Keller is on-going. A soft opening of the TK Grill is planned for December 15th.

I shall continue to update and yes, we are on board. Couldn't say too much before as we were surprising someone :)

Henry, Sharon & Emily :)

Thank you for the updates, much appreciated ahead of our 74 night Sojourn starting January 4. Keep them coming please [emoji846]

OP here. I promised observations so here are a few, keeping in mind, as I said, that we haven’t been on “O” ships before (only on the Legend).

—The ship looks quite lovely, and sometime between last night and this morning, Christmas decorations started appearing. At least I think so; I didn’t notice it on embarking.

—Henry posted about USB ports being new. That’s a plus BUT if you have things that require an American outlet, consider bringing a small power strip and/or a plug adapter. There is ONE US outlet in the room, on the vanity, plus the razor one in the bathroom. The outlet bedside (only one bedside outlet) is European, a problem for a cpap machine. IT helped but it took a long time and made for an unrelaxed evening as we tried to get that sorted out. I also requested a plug adapter to use in the bar cabinet so I could utilize it too. There is a limited number of those so bring your own or get to Seabourn Square early.

—While I was delighted by the bonus OBC due to delayed boarding, it really didn’t make up for the loss of a half day of vacation. They boarded the waiting area by zone and we were not on board until 4 pm. Unpacking, muster, chasing down plugs, cabin snafus (the adjoining door from our cabin to the next one was open and wouldn’t lock—surprise!). Things happen and I’m not blaming anyone, but my vacation was a day shorter than I thought it would be. And my gin didn’t arrive until today, yeah, not a major problem but I wanted a drink while getting unpacked !

—Today was a sea day and everything was up to scratch. The much-debated block party is tonight but it coincides with services for the first night of Chanukah so we will miss it. (Insert joke here about us already seeing a lot of our neighbors due to the adjoining door situation..... just kidding!)

—There is one formal night on our 10 night cruise. Someone was asking about that elsewhere.

Okay, that’s all for now. I’ll add more as I think of it, and welcome others to chime in.

As well as the USB points there has been a lot of general maintenance work carried out. Various floors and carpets have been replaced, wood finishes & so on re-surfaced.

There are a few bits of painted metalwork where touching up is on-going and strangely they didn't re-paint the swimming pool for one reason or another.

Seating has been replaced inside the ship as well as other soft furnishings. It is interesting that coming off Encore a year ago I don't feel as though Sojourn is now a poor relation.

A question was raised elsewhere about the Napa burger, I can confirm they are still alive & well as I took a hit for the troops and had one for lunch by the pool :)

Work on the R2 / TK conversion continues at great pace with a flurry of activity behind the sheeted off entrance.

Guest relations team doing a great job to sort out all the usual minor hiccups which could otherwise spoil a cruise, lost luggage, internet provision and so on. You realise how good these guys are when you go elsewhere. Nothing seems too much trouble and they want to go the extra mile.

Spoke with Ross for a while after the quiz. Not someone we've sailed with before but he seems a decent chap and very human.

Briefly bumped into Jason the hotel director who has been wandering round surveying his empire. Still early days but enjoyed dinner last night.

The supposed 3 person cabin isn't a 3 person cabin at all with is a pet gripe of mine given the hassle and price premium involved in booking (you can't do a guarantee balcony booking for instance). The sofa doesn't convert and the roll in bed is both inconvenient and a pretty rickety affair. Only 2 life jackets between the intended 3 occupants.

I will post more as I wander round the ship.

Henry :)

Just seen Perlgirlnj's post above.

I did wonder if converting religions to avoid the block party might be an option given the timing clash between the party and the Chanukah celebration :)

Embarkation was a one off following the drydock and not at all what we have experienced in 6 other cruises. The $50 per person OBC easily covered our lunch ashore but there was a hour or so spent waiting in the check in hall.

H.

Edited by Able Seaman H

Hello Henry and perlgirlnj, thank you both for the updates.

Henry, can you confirm who will be Capt, CD and HD for the Holiday cruise? I believe it's the same team as current, ie Capt Tim, Ross and Jason. Is this correct? Also, will there be any big crew changes? Pleased to hear about the Napa burger. I'll need a serious diet post-cruise. ;)

I have a question about the issue of the 3rd person suite. We were thinking of travelling next year with a younger family member and hadn't decided whether to take a 3 person suite or not. I was led to believe that the sofa is a sofa bed but reading your post it sounds as if that's not the case and they just roll a spare bed in. Is that right? I imagine it's not too comfy and would take up quite a lot of space?

Edited by Isklaar

I believe most of the crew will remain for the upcoming holiday cruise. Certainly Tim Roberts will remain as Master and Ross Roberts as CD. Jason Gelineau remains as Hotel director. Our first time with all these gentlemen but the ship seems to be heading in the right general direction, there was only one controversial answer in the quiz and we haven't run out of toilet paper so you'd have to say they have passed muster thus far :)

I will answer the 3rd person question in a separate thread as I think it warrants it.

Henry :)