Alaska Cruise - Tour portion - starting in Fairbanks

TomOG

We are on a cruisetour starting on June 30th in Fairbanks, staying at Princess Lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, and McKinley before boarding Island on July 4th in Whittier. What kind of temperatures should we expect during our time on land? We are used to wearing shorts all summer and wonder whether we should be able to do this while on land. Thanks!

We are on a cruisetour starting on June 30th in Fairbanks, staying at Princess Lodges in Fairbanks, Denali, and McKinley before boarding Island on July 4th in Whittier. What kind of temperatures should we expect during our time on land? We are used to wearing shorts all summer and wonder whether we should be able to do this while on land. Thanks!

It is really impossible to predict the weather. I've done Alaska twice in September. Once I never put on a jacket, last year it never got over 40..........even had snow in Fairbanks.

that said , I'm a southern California native and get cold easily. I would suggest bringing layers

Enjoy the trip

I live near Fairbanks, it was 85* last Thursday and 65* on Friday. Extended forecast says low 70s later in the week.

That said, you always need a variety of clothing anywhere in Alaska. I tend to keep lightly covered because of mosquitos more than the weather.

My family went last July. We had very warm weather. The lodge in Fairbanks had air conditioning, but the ones in Denali and Mt. McKinley did not. The rooms were very, very warm since we had to use the curtains to block out the sun during the night. We had to ask for fans. It only cooled off once we got to Anchorage, where the hotel had a/c.

I do suggest layers since the cruise portion can get cold especially when you're near the glaciers.

It's a great experience. Enjoy!

Arlene

3 weeks ago we were on a cruisetour that started in Anchorage and went to the same places you are going, except Fairbanks. Went to about freezing every night but would warm up during the day, unless it was raining. Had a cold day in Skagway, chill factor was below freezing and it was snowing off and on when we went up the mountain on the train. Had a great time. Took over 2000 pictures.

We were just there. Some days OK for shorts, others more suited to jeans/long pants. We tend to go with packing a pair of jeans and "travel" pants that convert to shorts [these also are quick drying, so we rinse them out or use the self laundry]. We bring a hoodie and a lightweight rain jacket for layers. So far, so good.