Have you done (or booked for 2018) RCCL Cruisetour 2CB (Pre cruise Canadian Rockies)?

Copying this question over from the Alaska Forum. I have done a few searches using the search tool but have not found detailed info or a review. Thanks for posting new information about the pre-cruise tour.

I have questions about luggage handling at the hotels. DW and I are thinking about packing a cruise-only suitcase that we won't need during the first part of the trip.

Wesley

Copying this question over from the Alaska Forum. I have done a few searches using the search tool but have not found detailed info or a review. Thanks for posting new information about the pre-cruise tour.

I have questions about luggage handling at the hotels. DW and I are thinking about packing a cruise-only suitcase that we won't need during the first part of the trip.

Wesley

Not certain who operates this. There are only two railway operators that I am aware of that go through the Canadian Mountaineer. Via Rail (the Canadian equivalent of Amtrak) and Royal Mountaineer.

If you do Via Rail's "The Canadian" it is a rail journey that starts in Toronto and takes 5 days to cross north America. You can join the train at any point along the away. Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton would be the cities with airports that you can fly into. Edmonton is the last city on the prairies before you hit the mountains. I have done this from Saskatoon to Vancouver before. Good food, the train travels overnight. There are a few hours in Jasper. Dome car etc. If you do this you probably want to book a cabin on the train.

If you do the Rockey Mountaineer this is a tourist train that only operates during the day, it overnights at a local hotel. Typical routes are between Vancouver and Calgary.

Not certain what RCCL is bundling or reselling. If it is a bus tour, I would pick the train any day or alternatively rent a car.