Aqualina and Prime C refurbishment on Journey

uktog

c4153d8ed0568d17bcfcb56c18700631.jpg

Here is a lovely photo of the Aqualina team who worked so hard to do the change round on turnaround day. They are a great crew.

Unfortunately I’m going to be honest I hate the change in Aqualina. If you go as a couple only your table is as small as in the MDR and almost as close to others. I know they are going to try and look at the layout and where they can move adjacent tables but basically the number of covers they will run potentially will be higher.

You also lose the flexibility if you’ve booked for two and decide later to add 2 more. Probability now you will not be able to on popular nights.

The chairs are ok at first I thought I liked them but after an hour on them they are really hard.

We go to prime C later in the week I will see what it’s like and take photos

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The chairs don't look particularly comfortable, but I imagine that they will be able to switch out just the cushions when they are worn rather than having to throw out the entire chair.

Unfortunately here in the U.K. once again things are different, no Air Plus with Viking just as there’s no Choice Air with Azamara. Included flights are Vikings choice, upgrades subject to availability, have been promised information next week - we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well that's terrible! Air Plus is the best thing about dealing with Viking Air. Can you just skip the air and book your own? We did that for our flight to San Juan because Air Plus wasn't available for that route.

Luckily we don't need flights for our Azamara cruise, because we are sailing from and back to NYC - which is our home port. It's one of the reasons we booked this. We wanted no flights and not a mega ship! So here we are looking at chairs on Azamara :D

Well that's terrible! Air Plus is the best thing about dealing with Viking Air. Can you just skip the air and book your own? We did that for our flight to San Juan because Air Plus wasn't available for that route.

Luckily we don't need flights for our Azamara cruise, because we are sailing from and back to NYC - which is our home port. It's one of the reasons we booked this. We wanted no flights and not a mega ship! So here we are looking at chairs on Azamara :D

We’ve asked the question and await a reply, U.K. market is very different from the USA but we’re used to it.

Hi,

Please tell me they will not Change Aqulina/Prime C on Quest as Joining in Lisbon on Friday and just wonder how they would fit in a table for 3 in the new set up if they change it onm Turnaround Day.

Gareth

A big issue in the upper floor dining rooms is they cannot accommodate more than one group with 8 in a group per night. And that's in pretty tight quarters. It's similar to the main dining room and the buffet before.

Guests at a birthday party last night near us were commenting on their tight space while the two of us sat in almost the same space and we're so far apart on a 4 to 6 round top table that we had trouble hearing each other.

We asked and the upper floor restaurant manager is looking forward to the flexibility of accommodating from 2 to more than 8 with the new arrangements.

We asked and the upper floor restaurant manager is looking forward to the flexibility of accommodating from 2 to more than 8 with the new arrangements.

I’m probably the only one with this opinion but groups larger than 8 are rare on cruise ships and not worth redoing an entire restaurant for in such a bad way: tiny tables with uncomfortable chairs, placed too close to neighbouring tables. Moreover, groups larger than 8 are by definition loud and better placed in the main dining room or buffet, as to not negatively impact others’ intimate special night out. Just m.o.

Floris

Have been awaiting word (or pictures) of Prime C. Has it been redone as well?

Yes.

The new chairs at the Chefs Table are nice, that’s the only positive! I will try and get a picture later today.

The other issue about the chairs - a delicate one - ladies up to size 16/18 and men with waists up to about 38 will be comfortable for a while, all others may experience an “overhang” :)

Most of the chairs have no arms which isn’t idea

I saw the chairs for Prime C on Facebook the last cruise. I like the look of them. I will not know what I think until I eat there.

I will say between family homes, dinners at friends and at least 1000 meals in restaurants I never had an arm rest. Most dining chairs do not. I rather not have them,

I think the above is personal to each person.

Ok here are the pics. Aqualina had been set up for an art class hence the number of 2 tops but it could also be like that for dinner.

I apologise there are some chairs with arms, it was just we did not get them.

Maybe it’s a British thing but fine dining usually includes chairs with arms

There are still some of the old chairs in Aqualina but that is temporary- there was a miscalculation on the number of new ones required.

I think you can see from the pic at the back of Prime C how busy it could be. a831f47662fbd13aca95ce4ba960c418.jpge1e17225b19defad68893cfb777ad8bb.jpgabd9c1416ca92f53487e995dcdddfaf0.jpg

The tables are identical sized to the MDR two tops

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by uktog

I’m probably the only one with this opinion but groups larger than 8 are rare on cruise ships and not worth redoing an entire restaurant for in such a bad way: tiny tables with uncomfortable chairs, placed too close to neighbouring tables. Moreover, groups larger than 8 are by definition loud and better placed in the main dining room or buffet, as to not negatively impact others’ intimate special night out. Just m.o.

Floris

No you are not. I totally agree. Also the only way to have 8 at a table and be sociable for a group of friends together is to have a round top.

Phil

I think a group has just as much right to enjoy the specialties as a couple. Not all groups are loud and boisterous. Many people become friends on a cruise and like to celebrate their new friendships at the specialties

I have seen some six and eight top tables they become loud and others can nit hear themselves think. I also feel,think anything about six should be at a round table.

When I have done wine dinner you can not meet others at your table.

The chairs look fine, mine be an America thing but I like armless chairs.

Waiting on the bar stools. I enjoy that bar to sit at,

I have seen some six and eight top tables they become loud and others can nit hear themselves think. I also feel,think anything about six should be at a round table.

It is thanks to you Robin that the Prime C Bar is now one of my favourite spots to have a quiet drink.

Hadn't really considered it until you mentioned it several times on CC.

It is thanks to you Robin that the Prime C Bar is now one of my favourite spots to have a quiet drink.

Hadn't really considered it until you mentioned it several times on CC.

:D:)

Some nights very busy. But on nights with a view or a sunset it the best place on ship. I have done pre or post drinks there even when at Windows’s. Easy way to meet people too.

The new armless chairs are attractive and wide. Would prefer more padding. But after last night I don't plan to return, maitre de knows our issue.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

I agree that any number over about six works better at a round table. I'm digressing from the original topic, but was sorry that I had no chance to get to know those at either end of a rectangular table at a Chef's Table where there are at least 12. I'm not sure a round table is even possible, given space constraints. It was a fantastic dinner, in any case,

All but empty restaurant, seated at 2 top, another couple arrives, seated at adjacent 2 top. There were at least 10 other 2 tops in same section, why jam people together. Tolerable in full house, terrible in an otherwise silent place.

That is really stupid and certainly not a speciality dining experience. I would not have been chuffed either.

Phil

The new armless chairs are attractive and wide. Would prefer more padding. But after last night I don't plan to return, maitre de knows our issue.

It's good you made the maitre de aware of the issue. It is silly when they do that at any restaurant let alone one that is supposed fine dining.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

Regarding large groups, not discriminating against them, but our first-ever dinner at Acqualina, my husband and I were seated as a twosome between two very loud and boisterous tables of 8. It really detracted from the experience. I think a good Maitre D in what’s supposed to be a high-end dining experience needs to be aware of those dynamics and seat accordingly. In our case the other groups were already loud and rowdy when we arrived. So if the addition of tables provides some more flexibility in being able to adjust where people are seated, I think that’s a plus. We’ve also been in situations (not on AZ) where our waiter also is serving a large group and as a result our service has suffered.