Is there dancing on the Viking Ocean ships and other first timer questions

oceansandseas

Just taking my first look at Viking Ocean cruises. DH and I like to dance in the evening. Social dancing....eg. waltz, two step, cha cha. Is this available on the ships?

Also, web page does not mention anything about shows. Do not need elaborate, just comedian, single musical performers or something along that line.

Also, I read that flights leave a day earlier than the cruise. I like to get in a day ahead in case there is a delay in the flight. They also said transfers are included when you buy the air through Viking. Would a 1 night hotel stay also be included or would you book that separately.

Is it easy to upgrade to PE air on trans ocean flights?

Sorry, one more question....is it better to book directly with Viking or through a TA?

We mostly cruise Oceania and wondering if Viking would offer more value for the Canadian dollar.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, I read that flights leave a day earlier than the cruise. I like to get in a day ahead in case there is a delay in the flight. They also said transfers are included when you buy the air through Viking. Would a 1 night hotel stay also be included or would you book that separately.

Sorry, one more question....is it better to book directly with Viking or through a TA?

We mostly cruise Oceania and wondering if Viking would offer more value for the Canadian dollar.

When you book your flights through Viking, you will fly out so that you arrive on Day 1 of the cruise. If you wish to arrive earlier than that, it is called a deviation and when you deviate you 1) lose the included transfers, 2) are responsible for any added expenses such as for meals, hotel, etc., and 3) may have an increase in airfare.You can also deviate to extend your stay. Viking does offer pre- and post-cruise extensions and if you take one of them, it is not considered a deviation; however, if you are trying to maximize your cruise $$$, you can usually do better cost-wise by deviating and booking hotels and transfers on your own. Transfers are nice but sometimes, it is cheaper to book your own flights and transfers (especially if you are upgrading).

I have heard about Canadian passengers being flown in to arrive the day before but you should clarify that with Viking directly, so that you are sure you have the correct information.

Personally, I like working with a travel agent because I know that I am working with the same person each time I cruise and because TAs will offer perks that you might not get when dealing directly with VO. At the same time, take note that Viking strongly controls the price of its product. BTW, we are not allowed to recommend travel agents or even to name them by name in our conversations; the most we can do is talk about them in generalities.

Ease of upgrade depends on availability--there are more economy seats than there are PE seats than there are business/first-class. Most people who upgraded have commented that it was cheaper to book on their own. You have to do your homework; it depends on where you are flying to and from.

Just taking my first look at Viking Ocean cruises. DH and I like to dance in the evening. Social dancing....eg. waltz, two step, cha cha. Is this available on the ships?

Also, web page does not mention anything about shows. Do not need elaborate, just comedian, single musical performers or something along that line.

I can answer some of your questions. We just did the West Indies Explorer itinerary in March. It was our first on Viking Ocean, but we did a river cruise with them on 2016. We loved it. They really do everything they can for you. They crew goes all out and you rarely hear the word, “no,” unless it’s included in the phrase, “no problem!”

Yes, there is dancing! We were on the Viking Sea and the Viking Band (house cover band) were fabulous! They were very responsive and quickly got the feel for what people wanted and Torshavn was jumping every night. There was also a Beatles tribute show that was held in the main pool area, that continued on long after the show was over with conga lines and people dancing everywhere.

There was a show every night, but we’re not really show people. We preferred the band in Torshavn. I don’t think there were any comedians, though. Just mostly musical reviews. We did go to the Abba show it’s their thing - Scandinavian roots and all. It was fun.

We enjoyed the guitarist, who played in various venues on the ship throughout the day. He was very personable and very versatile.

There was also a pianist, who was very friendly and also versatile. Both played a variety of music. Last but not least was the classical trio that took turns with the pianist and the guitarist in the atrium each afternoon and evening. Lots of music - all of it live. No DJs.

I think the flights on the day before the cruise is something they do with Canadian passengers. From the US, you fly in the day of the cruise unless you pay extra for one of their 2 day extensions or pay the deviation fee (usually $100) to fly in on a different schedule.

If you stick with their schedule or pay for an extension package, you get airport transfers included. There is no hotel included except with the extensions, but it might be different if you are coming from Canada.

Something we recommend (and we’re not alone in this), tell them you want to use Viking Air Plus. It costs $50pp and it gives you a lot more control over your flights. I do some research and pick the flights I want and the custom air department will work with you. It’s well worth it.

Upgrading depends on the airline and what level tickets Viking books. Sometimes you can and other times you can’t. If you are working with Viking Air Plus, they can advise you.

We do business/first for long flights and we always book our flights that way from the start. They will quote you the price and then you can shop around. You can always cancel the air, if you find better flights on your own. Just watch the deadline - usually about 90 days out.

The 2 for 1 pricing is the standard fare. What you have to watch for are the air and special offers like OBC or the upgraded beverage package included. Those change from month to month.

If you don’t mind doing a bit of research and some homework [emoji16] booking directly with Viking is fine. We did for our first 2 cruises, but we are trying a TA for the first time in a long time for our next 2. Viking doesn’t give them a lot of leeway, but sometimes they can provide extra perks like OBC.

We have never cruised Oceania, but we’ve been looking at some itineraries lately. We just booked an Azamara cruise out of NY with an odd itinerary - Charleston, SC, Bermuda and back to NY with 2 nights in each port - we couldn’t resist. I think we will enjoy it, but we are back on Viking for another river cruise and a Montreal to NY cruise on Viking Ocean.

We really do love the Viking ships and the whole experience.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, just ask. If I can’t answer there are many others here who can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the quick replies. Well written and from the tone, seems like nice people travel on Viking.

Peregrina651. Thanks for the informative reply. It seems it is just about the same as Oceania cruises. If I was to book a pre or post cruise stay, I would book it myself. When booked by the cruise line it is usually a lot more expensive.

As with Oceania, it is better to look for your own flights as the cost to upgrade might not be as much as Viking would charge.

Cyber Kath...I am happy to hear you say that there is a cover band on board. If there was no dancing, we would probably not take a Viking cruise. Before I asked, I looked on the deck plans and could not see a place where there would be dancing. I will look again for Torshavn.

You would probably like Oceania Cyber Kath. I think they are a bit expensive. Great experience though. Wonderful beds and bedding. Since the new Riviera and Marina ships were launched (around 2010 and 2012 I think), we have not sailed on the smaller ships.

I love doing research but would probably use a TA.

FionaGal......Whenever we have flown to Europe it is a night flight and we arrive in the morning as you said. We have cruised quite a bit with Oceania and their included flights arrive the morning of. If you want to go in a day early you must pay the deviation. I have always thought that the flight that is included with the price of the cruise should be a day ahead with no additional cost for flight or deviation. My TA says that there are lots of people who do not want to put out the money for a night in a hotel, so Oceania does it this way. I can only get the Canadian site. I was not sure how they meant that, but it is probably the way you said.

Two more questions...We will book the lowest cost balcony. Just having someone cook my meals is pampering enough for me. Are there any cabins that we should be aware of as not being desirable?

Also is there a time of year that they have a better price? Do prices lower if a cruise is not full.

Thanks again. From the positive replies that I received, and maybe after a bit more homework, I probably will be booking a Viking cruise for DH and myself.

Thank you for the quick replies. Well written and from the tone, seems like nice people travel on Viking.

Two more questions...We will book the lowest cost balcony. Just having someone cook my meals is pampering enough for me. Are there any cabins that we should be aware of as not being desirable?

Also is there a time of year that they have a better price? Do prices lower if a cruise is not full.

Thanks again. From the positive replies that I received, and maybe after a bit more homework, I probably will be booking a Viking cruise for DH and myself.

We also book the lowest cost cabin (all Viking cabins have balconies), and we love that we have access to all the amenities on the ship. We have not heard of any issues with particular cabins on the ships, even in this category.

Do be aware that Veranda cabins are the last to select excursions, and some of the optional excursions may be all booked by the time you are able to sign up. Everyone is guaranteed a spot on each of the included excursions. Even with our last to book spot, we were pleased with our mix of some optional excursions and some included excursions on our first cruise.

Guests in the Veranda cabins do not get an opportunity to make reservations in either of the no extra cost specialty restaurants before boarding. However, we were able to book several times for those once we were aboard.

We enjoyed our very first ocean cruise on the Viking Star last year so much that we now have two additional cruises booked. Have fun making your decision.

Cabin choice -- do not book the cabins that are right by the tenders, the Star Theater or Torshavn. Do not worry about booking directly over the MDR and do not worry about booking a Veranda cabin (other than the fact that they are popular). Do not put your name on a wait-list; they are a dead-end. Do consider a guaranteed cabin (after you have read up on them; there is at least one thread discussing the pros and cons)

Pricing is seasonal on some of the itineraries. Other itineraries are only offered once or twice or only sail in one season. Pricing doesn't always depend on the season; it also depends on where you are sailing. Scandinavia and the Baltic are more expensive than the Caribbean per night.

We have always booked our own flights and use miles for upgrades whether we travel by ship or land. Always....until San Juan and the Hurricanes hit last year. That is when one realizes the value in having Viking responsible for making changes to reservations rather than yourself. So this coming winter we are paying extra for going into San Juan early using Viking and will be flying back the same day as the cruise ends (which is also a first for us). I will be working on the flights this week.

How much room is there on the dance floor in the Torshavn lounge? We did not go into the area, but is there really room if several couples want to do "ballroom" style dancing?

It’s not large, but there wasn’t a lot of ballroom dancing music. Everyone dancing seemed to work it out. I love to dance, but my husband doesn’t, so I do a lot of chair dancing [emoji16]

How much room is there on the dance floor in the Torshavn lounge? We did not go into the area, but is there really room if several couples want to do "ballroom" style dancing?

Torshavn has a nighclub atmosphere.Seats 80 and with a bar area.

I saw three or four couples dancing the salsa and swing on the dance floor one evening. It is not large like I have seen on Celebrity ship's lounges.

It’s not large, but there wasn’t a lot of ballroom dancing music. Everyone dancing seemed to work it out. I love to dance, but my husband doesn’t, so I do a lot of chair dancing [emoji16]

LOL I hear you... :')

So fun to see others asking about dancing in the evening...that is one thing we really enjoy as well.

We have found TA's very helpful. I know we could do all arrangements directly, but when my TA calls me to say everything is ready for me to pick up before we leave, and she hands me these neatly organized packets in organizers....I am always thankful! Also she reminds me at every step what needs to be done. This week is final payment, so I got a nice reminder from her. Again I could do that, but it's sure nice having someone keep track of everything for me. I don't mind the perks they give you either;p.

We've always book our own flights, until the last two cruises to beat their prices. Recently found we could not beat their prices. The great thing with booking through Viking is that everything is included. We live in the Mid-West US and we will be going in the dead of winter...and I really don't want to deal with cancelled flights. No worries, Viking says they will get us there! I'd just hate to be responsible for that.