Mardi Gras 2006

Polish Falcon

I made a decision that NOLA needs our tourist dollars more than any cruise line.

We will be returing to NOLA for Mardi Gras 2006!

Here is a brief summary of our plans...

Please feel free to add any tips, tricks or suggestions to our plan!

Thursday 2/23/06 We will arrive in the evening.

We are staying @ Crescent City Guest House crescentcitygh.com

612 Marigny St. New Orleans, LA 70117

We plan on eating @ Praline Conection just a few blocks away on Frenchman St

Fri 2/24 - 10AM - Greasing Of The Poles! - Royal Sonesta Hotel 300 Bourbon Street

NPS Program du Jour Daily 11:30 - 30 to 45 Minute Programs

French Market For Umbrella & Marsha Shirt

Lunch @ Fiorelli’s or Johnny’s Po Boys & Dessert @ Cafe Du Monde

Canal Street Car To St Charles Ave - Walk To Viewing Stand @ Gravier St We bought tickets for $5 each for the reviewing stand @ Gravier & St Charles

Hermes(5:45)Krewe d'Etat(6:30)&Morpheus(7:15)

Sat 2/25 - Sleep In! No Parades For Us - Nice Dinner? Tujagues? Etc. Etc.

Sun 2/26-Okeanos(11;15)Thoth(11:15)Mid City(2) & Bacchus(5) Get To Viewing Stand By 9AM!! Again we bought tickets for the viewing stand. It cost us $25 each because Bacchus is such a big draw. The stands include use of a "built in" restroom.

More To Follow...............

Good for you. Mardi Gras will be quite a bit different this year. Fewer parade dates (and probably fewer riders), but should still be a lot of fun.

Frenchmen Street is one of our favorite areas. There are some excellent restaurants (Praline Connection is one) and music clubs. Snug Harbor, Cafe Brazil, D.B.A. and The Spotted Cat are all within easy walking distance. Ask for directions. The streets in Fauberg Marigny can be confusing. There aren't laid out in a grid like the French Quarter. A lot of the locals hang around there on Mardi Gras Day.

Fiorella's has terrific fried chicken. Not really a local dish, but very good. The last couple of time we passed Johnny's it was closed, but that may change by Mardi Gras.

We used to get free tickets to the viewing stands. It's a great way to see the parades, and you avoid the bathroom problems.

The French Quarter is even safer than it used to be. Besides the local cops, there are still some National Guard troops, Louisiana State Troopers, etc.

Be careful of pickpockets, especially on Bourbon Street.pickpockets

GOsh, I feel guilty. We're going feb 16-20 and just kind of winging it. I think we only have one reservation, and the rest we'll just play by ear. Maybe I should be planning more, but my brother has been before, so I'm kind of just following his lead. Is there a particular parade that is do not miss?

I will be in Houma for a friends Mardi Gras Parade on Friday the 24th. We will all be coming to Nola on Saturday to party. Maybe we will see you there.

I know we will make an appearanace at Margaritaville to see Joe Bennett play & also Papa Joe's on Bourbon to see out friend Jimmy Thibedeaux play. You may also spot us at Razoo's, Krazy Korner & anywhere in between.

Plans look pretty complete to me. I thought Johnny's was open?

I was somewhat surprised by the size of the crowd New Year's Eve. Think the turnout for Mardi Gras is going to be huge. A reservation for that Saturday night dinner might no be so bad.

The curfew was lifted prior to New Year's Eve so places can stay open as late as they want, but I was a little surprised at how early some of them closed - but still many were open into the wee hourrs.

If you need medical attention - hospital beds are still hard to come by - the clinic in the Convention Center will remain open through Mardi Gras.

Lots of cabs were destroyed by Katrina - they might be hard to come by.

Pat O's will be crowded.

IF you find yourself back at the hotel with nothing to eat, there is always Verti Marte that delivers...

http://www.vertimarte.com/

Mon 2/27 - Zulu Fest! Starts @ 10AM- Eat, Drink & Party!

At 5PM King Zulu Will Arrive. After a Toast, King Zulu Will Lead a 2nd

Line From Woldenberg Park Through the French Quarter, Ending at Decatur and Canal

Zulu Will Meet Rex at 6:00pm in the Spanish Plaza.

Fireworks!

Walk to Julia St For Proteus(5:15) & Orpheus(5:45)

Tues 2/28 - Mardi Gras! Bombay Club In The Prince Conti Hotel 830 Conti St 1 800 699 7711

$60-11AM Till 5PM Open Bar, Buffet & Restrooms..

Societé de Sainte Anne Right Past CCGH! Time??

Krewe Of Elvis - Member Is Staying @ CCGH!

Ducks of Dixieland?

Half Fast Walking Club?

Bourbon Street Awards, Oz, Corner of St. Ann at Bourbon 12 Noon

Bead Toss 828 Bourbon St. 2PM

Johnny White's Sports Bar 720 Bourbon St (never closed during Katrina/Rita)

Wed 3/1 - Sleep In - Riverfront Street Car to Canal St - Ferry To Mardi Gras World

Half Fast Walking Club?

Although Pete Fountain lost everything during Katrina, he has decided that the "Show will go on". The HFWC will be doing the second-line through the Quarter this year. Some of my Krewe members are also members of the HFWC. Looks like a good plan you have and it looks like we may rub shoulders at some point. Enjoy.

I haven't seen a schedule yet, but there are good local bands playing in Spanish Plaza (just north of the Riverwalk) for Lundi Gras. It has been pretty much rained out the last two years, but maybe we will get lucky in 2006.

When you get to the Algiers ferry landing on your way to Mardi Gras World, look to your right and you will see a little restaurant/bar called The Dry Dock. Pretty good local food.

"vossjemi

GOsh, I feel guilty. We're going feb 16-20 and just kind of winging it.

Is there a particular parade that is do not miss?"

Yes, There Are Several...

Plus, Given The Fact That Many Members and Riders Have Had Their Homes Wiped Out...The Mere Fact That They Are Parading Makes It A Not To Be Missed "Roll"..........

I will post back with a list of links for parade schedules...

And a list of nola links...............

Hi Ted, (Polish Falcon)

Sounds to me like the party never endsfor you. I envy you vacationing again so soon after our November cruise. Joe and I would love to get to NOLA someday soon. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

Leona

Where are you off to next?

Possible cruises for us are....

RCL Brillance - 12/11 - 11 Nights Panama Canal

NCL Spirit - 1/2/07 - 11 Nights - Same as our cruise - "Let's Do It Again"

NCL Spirit - 2/2/07 - 8 Nights - Super Bowl XLI & my L Birthday - Roman Numerals Rule - How old is "L"........LOL:)

I know you know...You were(are)the Queen of Trivia!!!

Thanks For The Pics!

Your photo of Ken Blaine's Mardi Gras World is now my computer Wallpaper...

With Johnny Cash's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" playing when I turn the computer on..........

But...The HAPPY SOUNDS of "Bourbon Street Parade" plays when I shut the computer down........

We spent the day in New Orleans yesterday. The populated ares are pretty much getting back to "normal" and the viewing stands are being set up for Mardi Gras. Talked to several business owners who said that they are very much looking forward to this MG season. For some it may be a make or break season. We had gone to NOLA to buy our beads and parade throws but decided to wander around the Quarter while there. The Jax parking lot is cleared of the FEMA tents and is now open to the public. We drove through some of the most devastated areas and were surprised at the amount of clean-up still to be done. It was eerie seeing businesses like Taco Bell, KFC, etc. with water-lines half-way up their facades and entire neighborhoods devoid of people. It's hard to imagine that we were in a major American city.

It's good to see people like Selucrey getting the word out that New Orleans is still far from recovery. You could spend time in the French Quarter and have no idea what is going on here.

My neighborhood (Lakeview) is making progress, and a lot of our neighbors are rebuilding. Others are bulldozing their (former) homes and getting out. Most of the eastern parts of New Orleans are still ghost towns.

It's good to see people like Selucrey getting the word out that New Orleans is still far from recovery. You could spend time in the French Quarter and have no idea what is going on here.

My neighborhood (Lakeview) is making progress, and a lot of our neighbors are rebuilding. Others are bulldozing their (former) homes and getting out. Most of the eastern parts of New Orleans are still ghost towns.

There is really no way anyone can understand what the aftermath of Katrina is like unless you get away from the Quarter. It's like something you would see on the Sci-Fi channel or Twilight Zone. To make matters worse, some of what was not damaged by Katrina was destroyed by tornados last week. (including some areas of Lakeview, hope your home was spared)

Thanks for the update!

Flood Damage - Been There, Done That.........

I was in high school in 1972 when Hurricane Agnes wiped out the Wyoming Valley of PA. We had 2 feet of water on the 2nd floor. We lived in a HUD trailer in our backyard for 2 years while we gutted and rebuilt the house.

Archived