Cruises out of New Orleans

sha308

The French Quarter was spared the worst of the damage that other parts of the city experienced and it is open for business and ready for visitors now.

You don't even have to be especially brave to stay here.

The average tourist who stays for a couple of days before or after a cruise most likely won't even see the hardest hit areas.

THESE CRUISELINES WILL BE IN NOLA FROM AROUND OCT 15 TO APRIL:)

STARTING OCT 15 NCL SUN 7 DAY

OCT 26 CCL SENSATION 4 & 5 DAY

DEC. 2 RCCL GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS 7 DAY

DEC. 16 PRINCESS GOLDEN PRINCESS 7 DAY

SURE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND ONE TO SUIT YOUR NEED.

NOLA IS BACK AND RUNNING AS FAR AS THE FRENCH QUARTER AND THE DOCKS ARE CONCERNED. PLEASE COME AND HELP US GROW. WE NEED THE TOURIST AND FAR THE CRUISELINES TO START COMING BACK TO OUR WONDERFUL CITY.

WE ARE NOT STILL UNDER WATER AS SOME STILL BELEIVE.:mad:

A few cruise ships have already stopped and one cruise originated from New Orleans. First regularly scheduled ship currently is NCL Sun Oct 15, but hopefully will be sooner. The port is open for biz.

As for staying there - I already have and had a great time.

For the Winter Edition of the Port Record:

http://www.portno.com/PortRecord.pdf

Does anyone know when this will happen again and if so is anyone brave enough to stay there before cruising?

No fear...unless you are afraid of having way too much fun. :eek: I was there two weeks ago & the French Quarter is alive with smiling people....spending lots of money. Hopefully our visits will help this great city rebuild.

The French Quarter was spared the worst of the damage that other parts of the city experienced and it is open for business and ready for visitors now.

You don't even have to be especially brave to stay here.

The average tourist who stays for a couple of days before or after a cruise most likely won't even see the hardest hit areas.

I was in NOLA in Nov. visiting my kids and grandson. I toured the devastated areas - The Lakefront (middle and upper middle class) where one of the levees ruptured, and skirted the 9th ward, went through mid city. I've never seen such devastation. As of this writing, virtually nothing has changed. However, tourists as a rule don't go to these areas.

The Quarter is open as is most of Canal St. and the CBD. The Convention center is being put back into order. I don't know if the Aquarium was restocked yet - all the fish died. Audobon zoo is open, and Audobon park is fine. City Park is a mess. The St. Charles streetcar is still not running.

Tulane and Loyola reopened.

There is a website to check which restaurants have reopened and which are still closed. My kids tell me that the Camilia grill is still closed (this may have happened anyway because of some internal problems having nothing to do with the hurricane). In November, Deanie's in the quarter was completely gutted. I don't know if they reopened. Some of the more famous tourist restaurants are still closed.

Please visit New Orleans - inspite of all the devastation, the city still has its many charms, and the folks are fighting for their survival without much help from the current administration.

BnB

Does anyone know when this will happen again and if so is anyone brave enough to stay there before cruising?

What would you be afraid of? The Quarter has been alive and kickin' since November, and more restaurants and clubs are opening every day. Most of the hotels are up and running. N.O. is my hometown and I love it, but as far as tourist areas, very little has changed, as opposed to what we see every day here on the MS Gulf Coast.:(

Go and have bon temps! We all need your money.

Heck yeah many hotels are open - I made a reservation New Year's Eve day for that night.

Not all hotels are open and not all rooms are available, but there are plenty most of the time. For special events- like Mardi Gras -or the upcoming French Quarter Festival and then Jazz Festival, advance reservations would be a good thing.

Don't know about Camilia Grill, but can tell you Port of Call is open! Great burgers.

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com/

For a list of open restaurants:

http://www.nomenu.com/RestaurantsOpen.html

quote=zydecocruiser]

Don't know about Camilia Grill, but can tell you Port of Call is open! Great burgers.

:D How right you are, Zy! I ran over to N.O. for the day about a week ago. Had one of their big ole cheeseburgers and baked potato. Actually, DD and I always half each; otherwise, I would be full for two days! (It's a shame more 'visitors' don't know about PO'C.)

:D How right you are, Zy! I ran over to N.O. for the day about a week ago. Had one of their big ole cheeseburgers and baked potato. Actually, DD and I always half each; otherwise, I would be full for two days! (It's a shame more 'visitors' don't know about PO'C.)

Cotton, I can't believe you skipped The Gumbo Shop for a hamburger ! JK. The POC does have great burgers but it's just off the tourist-track for most to know about it. We had lunch at the GS yesterday. We found that several of the servers are from the Biloxi/Gulfport area and drive to NOLA every day.

As for tourism, there are still a few "rough spots" in New Orleans but it is getting better every day. Most tourists would never know the city was flooded if just there for a casual visit. The French Quarter is OPEN and there are plenty of rooms available at many nice hotels. We just need the cruiselines to get back to their regular schedules.

Cotton, I saw first-hand what the MS Gulf Coast looks like yesterday. No words can describe the scene.:(

Central Grocery (or the "other" muffeleta place - I forget the name) open yet? One of our favorite NO treats.

:confused: Don't know...we didn't go over to Decatur. The 'other' one right next to Central Grocery used to be Progress Grocery - don't remember the new name. Central's always been my fave for a muffaletta and specialty Italian grocery items, oh, and the cheeses!...and their special jars of homemade Olive Salad!...Making myself hungry.:D

MOM'S IS OPEN ALSO FOR GREAT PO-BOYS. RIGHT ON POYDRAS ACROSS FROM THE COURT HOUSE .

HEY DAN , YOU PLAN ON MOVING TO NOLA SAMES LIKE YOU ARE ALWAYS THERE.

EVERYDAY SOMETHING NEW OPENS UP SO GO WITHOUT WORRIES . YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

quote=selucrey]

Cotton, I can't believe you skipped The Gumbo Shop ...

Ah, man, the line was 'way too long.........

Cotton, I saw first-hand what the MS Gulf Coast looks like yesterday. No words can describe the scene.:(

If you drove down Beach Blvd., I'm sure you saw an empty lot where my house was. (I was there yesterday for awhile, and I found a demi-tasse cup from my china.) You're right - nobody can even begin to imagine.......

:confused: Don't know...we didn't go over to Decatur. The 'other' one right next to Central Grocery used to be Progress Grocery - don't remember the new name. Central's always been my fave for a muffaletta and specialty Italian grocery items, oh, and the cheeses!...and their special jars of homemade Olive Salad!...Making myself hungry.:D

Central is open, but like many places, reduced hours - they weren't open on Sunday a few weeks ago, so we had to get a muffeletta from Napolean House - not a bad alternative - still yum!

http://www.napoleonhouse.com/

Progress begat Luigi's begat something else and dunno if they are open.

Nor Joe's off Metairie Road also has a fine muff - but no where near the Quarter.

MOM'S IS OPEN ALSO FOR GREAT PO-BOYS. RIGHT ON POYDRAS ACROSS FROM THE COURT HOUSE .

Mother's

http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/

Ferdi, yum. Also the breafast biscuits - debris or black ham - yum.

Selucrey, Cotton, DASA and a few of the others on this thread have put the situation in New Orleans very well. Most if not all the restaurants and hotels in the Quater and the Central Business District are open and seem to be doing well.

I haven't been down in the Garden District but other than that and a few tours most visitors don't go into any other areas. I miss the little neighborhood restaurants that we used to visit that are off the beaten path and it's heartbreaking to see them struggle, often without complaint, to get back to normal.

To add to what others have said, there is no reason to be afraid to go and send some time in NO. We always have and still do have a great time in NO and maybe my 2cents spent there will help a little.

I watched a wedding party walk down Bourbon Street yesterday on the webcam.....with Mayor Nagin included. Bride in her wedding gown with groom at her side with wedding party following in horse drawn carriages. It was awesome.

I can't wait to get back there for another visit in June for a reunion with my CC friends. :D

HEY DAN , YOU PLAN ON MOVING TO NOLA SAMES LIKE YOU ARE ALWAYS THERE.

EVERYDAY SOMETHING NEW OPENS UP SO GO WITHOUT WORRIES . YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Actually, we are looking for a "cheap" apartment just for weekends. ;) As far as moving...there is this "Work" thing that keeps getting in the way of that.:rolleyes:

If you drove down Beach Blvd., I'm sure you saw an empty lot where my house was. (I was there yesterday for awhile, and I found a demi-tasse cup from my china.) You're right - nobody can even begin to imagine.......

We did drive down the blvd. as far as we could. I posted some pics in the Biloxi/Red Cross album here.. http://community.webshots.com/user/Selucrey2006

Maybe we did see you, in one of the pics there was someone walking around where one of the houses stood. So sad.:(

Thx for sharing your pics, Dan, but I wasn't in any of them. Y'know, it's hard even for me to know where is where and what is what - with so few landmarks left.

I DID like the "Cotton's Courtyard" at Gumbo Shop! You dog.:D Speaking of dogs, looking at Blue Dog - I lost my 8 framed Blue Dog prints.... First time I've even thought about them.:(

Archived