Info Request on Galapagos trip 7th April for 2 voyages

joe_90

Hi All

At last I have persuaded my better half to leave behind the evening dresses and experience the wildlife of the Galapagos Islands. All is now arranged and I have read all the reviews I still have a few questions that this group might be able to provide the answer.

It's a long story but I and my TA are handling the air as far as Quito and from then on Silversea takes over until the return flight to Europe.

We arrive on Thurs 5th Apr and are taken to the Marriott

Questions

Did the altitude have any effect on you?

How long is transfer from Airport to Hotel.

Does the hotel have a good restaurant.?

The info says that we have a city tour on the Friday approx timings would help.

I have checked trip advisor for a great restaurant (love to eat different foods) but would need to book?

I know it will be an early start on Saturday but how early? and should I bring water on to plane.

I was unable to reserve seats on the flight to the islands and at 6'ft 2" it will be a loooong flight.

Galapagos

I was going to bring a walking stick but see that Silversea has some for use , still pack mine?

I was going to take a couple of sd cards for the camera and transfer the pictures to laptop but that seems a bit reckless as a missing laptop would be a bit stressful .:( will now bring some extra sd cards and an external disc.

I am sure I have more.

Thanks

Joe

Hi All

At last I have persuaded my better half to leave behind the evening dresses and experience the wildlife of the Galapagos Islands. All is now arranged and I have read all the reviews I still have a few questions that this group might be able to provide the answer.

It's a long story but I and my TA are handling the air as far as Quito and from then on Silversea takes over until the return flight to Europe.

We arrive on Thurs 5th Apr and are taken to the Marriott

Questions

I have checked trip advisor for a great restaurant (love to eat different foods) but would need to book?

I know it will be an early start on Saturday but how early? and should I bring water on to plane.

I was unable to reserve seats on the flight to the islands and at 6'ft 2" it will be a loooong flight.

Galapagos

I was going to bring a walking stick but see that Silversea has some for use , still pack mine?

I was going to take a couple of sd cards for the camera and transfer the pictures to laptop but that seems a bit reckless as a missing laptop would be a bit stressful .:( will now bring some extra sd cards and an external disc.

I am sure I have more.

Thanks

Joe

We were not affected by altitude in Quito

The drive from the airport to the Marriott took a little over an hour in heavy traffic

We ate in the hotel at a burger type place and it was good

We left the hotel at 7am and bags had to be outside the room at 0630

I would take a walking pole as the terrain is very uneven in places

Extra cards for the camera and a spare battery are essential.

I have answered the questions I can and I am sure someone will chime in for the others.

Have a fabulous trip. It is a wonderful place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Answers Interspersed.

We were there in December.

No.

Long. About an hour.

Is Silversea handling your transfer? If not, ask the hotel to book a private car for you. There is a lot of crime in Quito. Don't just get into a cab (ever!).

Or walk around on your own outside the hotel area especially at night.

It's ok. We didn't want to bother leaving the hotel so ate dinner there. It was acceptable but not great.

We were there in December. We had a 2-hour city tour starting at around 5 pm. There were expensive tours available during the day that you could book thru the Silversea hotel desk. We did not take them, but chose to hang out at the hotel as we had very long flights the day before.

Again, if you go to a restaurant for dinner arrange with the hotel for a taxi in both directions.

Don't remember. Somewhere between 6 and 7am I think. The hotel restaurant was open for us but not fully operational (ie. coffee/juice/bread/cereal but no hot entrees).

You won't be able to get water past security.

Silversea hands out boarding passes. You can't reserve seats.

We were not impressed with Quito. If we did this again, we would skip the JW Marriott and stay at the hotel that's on the grounds of the airport, and just hang out there for the day. The airport is in a valley several thousand feet below the city, so this helps with altitute sickness too.

Galapagos

I took a collapsible walking stick and was glad I did. There is one day when you are walking on hilly, uneven lava rocks. This is on the San Cristobal to Baltra itinerary.

I was going to take a couple of sd cards for the camera and transfer the pictures to laptop but that seems a bit reckless as a missing laptop would be a bit stressful .clear.png?emoji-frown-1741 will now bring some extra sd cards and an external disc.

My husband takes his iPad and transfers and edits the photos every day.

Joe90 - I am planning a Galapagos trip to include a cruise around the islands, perhaps a stay at one of the resorts like Finch Bay, plus an excursion to Macchu Picchu and also an Amazon cruise on the Anakonda. I'm flying in to Lima from the UK on British Airways and using Lima as the main hub.

I would urge you to take a laptop. I do this on all my long trips as you can safely download the pictures and also process them. I came back from Antarctica last month with all my pictures done and dusted. There's more risk having a camera lost or stolen or dunked in the sea than losing a laptop which sits happily on the desk in your cabin.

I thank you for all the very helpful replies. I have come across a hitch. I live on one of the Scottish Islands and when I tried to order an extra battery for my camera from any of the mail order companies they will not contemplate the order because they say the post office will not take an explosive device. That means I have to go to one large towns to find a "jessops or simalar" pay 3 times the price for the same item. Not Happy>

Fletcher laptop is in the hand luggage with me.)

Joe

Hi all

I have one question is there a laundry room or do I have to use the ship's service?

Thanks

Joe

There is no self service launderette on Silver Galapagos but there is a laundry service. Incidentally, the toiletries provided are environmentally friendly and you are asked not to use anything which will pollute the waters when washing (yourself or your clothes).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk