Just off the Disney Dream - 4 adults doing Disney

alaska_planner

My husband and i (both 62) and our 32 year old daughter and son-in law just finished a 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream.

Our last 3 night cruise was back in 2002 and i hadn't planned on ever doing another cruise THAT short!!

However, our daughter really wanted to experience one of Disney's larger ships (she'd only been on Disney's two smaller ships, the Wonder and the Magic), and 3 nights was all that we could fit into our schedule this year.

So we decided to go for it, even though doing such a short cruise worried me.

I shouldn't have worried.

Granted i would much rather have been on a 7 night (or longer) cruise, and granted i cried (yes, actually full out crying) when we left the ship at the end of the cruise, but at least we had 3 nights to enjoy the magnificent Disney Dream.

And it really is a magnificent ship!!

Beautiful, impeccably clean and well-maintained, with outstanding service, incomparable entertainment and delicious food.

Surprisingly, Disney had quite a bit of adult only entertainment during the cruise.

In addition to the enforced adults only swimming pool /deck area, and the adults only night clubs, there was also a dedicated member of the entertainment staff (Chris on our cruise) responsible for running the adult activities (games, trivia, quizzes, quest, etc). In fact, there were so many activities for adults, we weren't able to make it to all of them. Really well done on Disney's part.

Who knew Disney is the cruise of choice for adults, not just kids!!

All in all, a wonderful 3 days on board the Disney Dream!!!

We were on this cruise also. Had exceptional service from so many crew members every time we needed anything, or even when we didn't need anything.

there was a computer problem getting off the ship. We never encountered this before. We had a very tight flight, and were at the front of the line to get off because we absolutely had to catch the first bus to the airport. We were off the ship and on the bus with only 29 other guests and no one else came out to any bus, so I assumed the problem was continuing with the computers after we were off. Disney sent our bus to the airport and we were very fortunate we made our flight.

Wondering if anyone knows how long it took to get the computers working and when people were able to get off.

Side note- with the airlines we got an e-mail from Jet Blue while we were on the ship saying we needed to arrive 3 hours before the flight because of construction in Orlando terminal, that we might have to take a bus to our gate because some of the air trains to the gate were shut down. That got me all stressed out and really woriied that we would miss our flight. Lucky for us when we arrived, TSA Pre check was very quick, and the air train that was running was slower than normal, but managable. We ended up with much time to spare. Lots of stress over situations that did not occur. But the problem is, you never know how that is going to go.

We hope everyone else that had to catch a flight got off in time.

We were on this cruise also. Had exceptional service from so many crew members every time we needed anything, or even when we didn't need anything.

there was a computer problem getting off the ship. We never encountered this before. We had a very tight flight, and were at the front of the line to get off because we absolutely had to catch the first bus to the airport. We were off the ship and on the bus with only 29 other guests and no one else came out to any bus, so I assumed the problem was continuing with the computers after we were off. Disney sent our bus to the airport and we were very fortunate we made our flight.

Wondering if anyone knows how long it took to get the computers working and when people were able to get off.

Side note- with the airlines we got an e-mail from Jet Blue while we were on the ship saying we needed to arrive 3 hours before the flight because of construction in Orlando terminal, that we might have to take a bus to our gate because some of the air trains to the gate were shut down. That got me all stressed out and really woriied that we would miss our flight. Lucky for us when we arrived, TSA Pre check was very quick, and the air train that was running was slower than normal, but managable. We ended up with much time to spare. Lots of stress over situations that did not occur. But the problem is, you never know how that is going to go.

We hope everyone else that had to catch a flight got off in time.

we got off at 9 am...left our room at 8, had breakfast in the royal palace at 8...

we were really lucky because right after we entered the royal palace they shut the doors and wouldn't let anyone else in..

the health/food authorities...whoever it is that inspects ships - had entered the ship on a surprise inspection...

apparently, the inspections are always by surprise...

once they come on board, the food facilities have to be shut down....

that was really interesting....

anyway, after we finished eating, we left the ship...i think it was around 9 am...

we had no problems leaving, so whatever computer issues there were when you left, had been solved..

by the time we got to the luggage area, almost all of it was gone...

we also got that stupid email from jet blue.....not that day, as we weren't flying jet blue, but a few days before that..

my son went on jet blue with his family...they flew out on august 22nd...i got them to the airport about 2.5 hours before the flight...they were already at the gate within 20 minutes...so they had a long wait at the gate...

we flew out on delta at 3 pm...so we had waaaaaaaaaay too much time at the airport...

we went into the business lounge there....i forgot what it's called...i think "the club"?

anyway, we paid for it, but it was well worth it....nice and quiet and secluded...with lots of food and drinks....

we spent 3 hours in there....since my husband was working the whole time, being in the quiet of the club was much better for him...

• 2 months later...
Did you find it was to short of a cruise for 3 days and how was the Adults area

Sent from my iPad using Forums

3 days is really very very short...

and as i wrote in my first post, it wasn't my first choice..

but 3 days was all we could fit into our schedule this summer..

we fit the cruise in after we spent 3 weeks at walt disney world (which was the true focus of our vacation this year)..

so yes, it's short....and i was so very sad to leave the ship..

though in truth, i'm always sad to leave a ship at the end of any cruise...

but i did very much enjoy it....i wish we could have stayed on longer...

let's see...you asked about the adult areas on the ship..

we were on the disney dream...

there is the adult swimming pool and deck area...

we didnt' spend time in that area, but if you pass it and go up the stairs to the outdoor deck area about it....in the very front of the ship, is an adult area around a little wading pool with a fountain sort of thing called satellite falls..

we really enjoyed sitting up there.....it was very very quiet....and definitely adults only...

also, we very much enjoyed the cove cafe, which is right behind the adult pool..

it's a small coffee shop....you pay for the specialty drinks, but the cakes are free...

since we're big capucinno/latte drinkers, we went in there several times....very nice...and again adults only..

also on the ship, you have an adult nightclub area.....but it's limited to adults only after 9 pm i believe...

before that you may encounter kids in there for activities...but we didn't...but i know it can happen..

the trivia/quizzes/games that were aimed at adults (listed on the activities sheet as being for adults), were all held in the adult area (in the pub i think it's called)..

and quest was held in the nightclub sort of space in the adult area...

we were very happy with the adult activites, but that's because we adore playing trivia and various adult games (quest, etc)...

they also had the ventriloquist perform an adult version of his show in the nightclub for adults only...

then there's castaway cay....disney's private island....there is an entire beach area that is exclusively for adults...

it's wonderfully peaceful there....and absolutely no children at all...none.... perfect...

with a separate barbecue just for adults...

really nice..

My husband and i (both 62) and our 32 year old daughter and son-in law just finished a 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream.

Our last 3 night cruise was back in 2002 and i hadn't planned on ever doing another cruise THAT short!!

However, our daughter really wanted to experience one of Disney's larger ships (she'd only been on Disney's two smaller ships, the Wonder and the Magic), and 3 nights was all that we could fit into our schedule this year.

So we decided to go for it, even though doing such a short cruise worried me.

I shouldn't have worried.

Granted i would much rather have been on a 7 night (or longer) cruise, and granted i cried (yes, actually full out crying) when we left the ship at the end of the cruise, but at least we had 3 nights to enjoy the magnificent Disney Dream.

And it really is a magnificent ship!!

Beautiful, impeccably clean and well-maintained, with outstanding service, incomparable entertainment and delicious food.

Surprisingly, Disney had quite a bit of adult only entertainment during the cruise.

In addition to the enforced adults only swimming pool /deck area, and the adults only night clubs, there was also a dedicated member of the entertainment staff (Chris on our cruise) responsible for running the adult activities (games, trivia, quizzes, quest, etc). In fact, there were so many activities for adults, we weren't able to make it to all of them. Really well done on Disney's part.

Who knew Disney is the cruise of choice for adults, not just kids!!

All in all, a wonderful 3 days on board the Disney Dream!!!

Glad you enjoyed the Dream. I will be her in a week with my 29 year old daughter and 5 year old granddaughter. we are psyched! First time on the Dream. Can't wait.

Maryjo

Glad you enjoyed the Dream. I will be her in a week with my 29 year old daughter and 5 year old granddaughter. we are psyched! First time on the Dream. Can't wait.

Maryjo

i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!!

i forgot to mention that we also did the midship detective agency game!!

really fun for young and old...very cool...

and there are lots of family games as well that are held in the D lounge i think it's called...

and be sure to accompany your granddaughter to the kids club open houses..

we went to the kids club open house on boarding day even though we didn't have any little kids with us and had a blast playing in there...

we especially enjoyed the games that involved the huge interactive floor screens....there were young and old all around the floor playing together....really very sweet...

Did you find there was enough stuff to do for Adults, was it a cruise worth spending the extra money for the extra level of service

Sent from my iPad using Forums

everyone has their own favorite things to do...

what i suggest you do is look at past navigators (the activity schedule on disney ships)..

this website is a good source of past navigators (seach by ship, cruise length etc): http://disneycruiselineblog.com/

we did feel it was worth it..

while i think royal caribbean has a great product, i do think that disney has that extra that i love..

for me the difference is "disney"....i'm a disney person and happy to be on a disney ship, with the crew that has the bit of disney infused in them..

and the special disney entertainment...

and yes, we had lots of trivia games and quizzes and contests that we enjoy..

and of course, we LOVED the evening theater shows....

but do look at navigators to give you an idea of the daily activities..

• 3 weeks later...
everyone has their own favorite things to do...

what i suggest you do is look at past navigators (the activity schedule on disney ships)..

this website is a good source of past navigators (seach by ship, cruise length etc): http://disneycruiselineblog.com/

we did feel it was worth it..

while i think royal caribbean has a great product, i do think that disney has that extra that i love..

for me the difference is "disney"....i'm a disney person and happy to be on a disney ship, with the crew that has the bit of disney infused in them..

and the special disney entertainment...

and yes, we had lots of trivia games and quizzes and contests that we enjoy..

and of course, we LOVED the evening theater shows....

but do look at navigators to give you an idea of the daily activities..

We have sailed all four Disney ships in the Caribbean, but our favorite is the 4 night cruise. Each ship is kind of 'special' for unique memories they have provided our family over the years. Have not tried a three nighter. We usually spend 3 nights at WDW and then rest up with the 4 night cruise. After many Disney cruises, we make sure to dine one night in Palo and one night in Remy during a 4 night cruise. Must also admit though - we are Disney fans!

As to "enough" to do, it depends greatly on what you want to do. The suggestion to look at past Navigators is a good one. I've found more adult oriented activities on other lines. But if my goal is to sit by the pool and read, it really doesn't matter whether there are various activities scheduled or not. If I'm visiting a new country or location, the scheduling of language or culture classes might make a difference.

DCL is different than any other line I've cruised--the Disney "culture," the more fun, light hearted atmosphere, and the quality of the entertainment are top notch. It just really depends on what you want from a cruise. It will be interesting to see what DCL does as the new ships come out....I'd really like to see some other sorts of trips! With Disney parks all over the world, there are some great "tie in" opportunities.

Thanks for your review! I have no kids and my husband and I love sailing on Disney. The attention to detail, the friendliness of the crew, and the overall quality is second to none, even when I compare it to luxury lines.

We even got married on the DISNEY DREAM, so it's a very special ship for us.

Thanks for your review! I have no kids and my husband and I love sailing on Disney. The attention to detail, the friendliness of the crew, and the overall quality is second to none, even when I compare it to luxury lines.

We even got married on the DISNEY DREAM, so it's a very special ship for us.

a disney cruise wedding....that sounds really special!!!!!

we hadn't sailed disney in years...

having tried royal and really enjoyed it...

but then my daughter and her husband did a med cruise on the disney magic...

and while she still enjoys royal, she saw that disney difference....as did my son in law....it was his first time on DCL and he loved it..

so her experience convinced me to try DCL again.....

and we felt the same as her...while royal is nice, there was just something special about DCL...

that's not to say i'll only cruise DCL....itinerary also matters...

but DCL definitely is preferred..

a disney cruise wedding....that sounds really special!!!!!

It was pretty awesome. I don’t think I would trust my wedding to most cruise lines, but I know Disney is special with their fanatical attention to detail. I wasn’t disappointed. It was handled superbly from start to finish, with many magical Disney touches and some special surprises too. One for the memory books.

It was pretty awesome. I don’t think I would trust my wedding to most cruise lines, but I know Disney is special with their fanatical attention to detail. I wasn’t disappointed. It was handled superbly from start to finish, with many magical Disney touches and some special surprises too. One for the memory books.

sounds like a magical fairy tale :)

sounds like a magical fairy tale :)

Yes it was. Even our official civil ceremony for legality purposes was done very nicely. It’s also held onboard and done while the ship is docked in Port Canaveral. Disney could not have done a better job.

Yes it was. Even our official civil ceremony for legality purposes was done very nicely. It’s also held onboard and done while the ship is docked in Port Canaveral. Disney could not have done a better job.

Interesting--they used to do the civil ceremony in a room at the terminal, which was nice but nothing amazing. I would guess that the switch to doing it on board is standard. And yes, it is done nicely--a very far cry from the courthouse weddings one sees on TV!

Hi everyone, I am thinking of taking the 4 night cruise this summer with my 20 yr old daughter. Do you think there will be enough to do without any little ones? And did anyone take part in the 1820 society activities... what were they like? Thanks all!

Hi everyone, I am thinking of taking the 4 night cruise this summer with my 20 yr old daughter. Do you think there will be enough to do without any little ones? And did anyone take part in the 1820 society activities... what were they like? Thanks all!

All of our cruises have been adult-only. Yes, there's plenty to do. Our son participated in the 18-21 club (what it was called then) and enjoyed himself immensely. At least that's my take on it, we only saw him at dinner, and he was out until 1, 2, or 3 am most nights.

One thing, you MUST attend the 1820 Society get together on the first night. That's when the group plans what they want to do onboard. If no one shows up, or very few, the group may fizzle.

How the 18-20 group works varies greatly from one cruise to another--as noted, largely due to turn out or lack thereof on the first night. A lot of it is just that age group getting to know each other and arranging their own activities, with or without the help of the assigned CM.