Da Nang Two days

T&C Fulham

• 2 weeks later...

Danang we fortunately visited twice as we could not do everything on one trip and were spoiled for choice.

First time we visited the Marble Mountains and Non Nuoc beach in the morning and Hoi An in the afternoon, the second time a full day trip to Hue.

Hoi An is lovely to walk around. Arts and crafts everywhere. One of our favourites in Vietnam. If you visit, do go through the market to the river. All life is there. Fascinating.

Thanks for that about Hoi An. We had already marked the Hoi An on Your Own trip. Is it worth doing it with Amazara or do we simply get a cab. 40gbp for a bus ride may be a waste and we could also come home when we wanted.

We had planned the snorkelling but we are above the age limit. Maybe we should do the full day Danang which includes the Marble Mountains.

Tony

Most cruise ships berth at Chan May, about (45?) minutes north of Da Nang, but I think Azamara is small enough to berth in Da Nang itself?

In Da Nang there will be taxi/van tours offered on-spec at the port. They'll be cheap and with bargaining even cheaper. - I recall about $90 for the day split between 8 of us, tho that was mebbe 10 years ago. But their need is greater than ours, and a good tip left everyone happy.

With two days you can do what Edinburgher did, & go to the two main destinations - one day to Hue (we've not been there) , and the other day to Marble Mountain, China Beach and Hoi An (an excellent day).

If your port is Chan May, the distance to Hoi An etc is further but still manageable.

Drivers will want to take you to one of the major stonemasons' workshops along the beach, clearly they get commission. The easiest way to say no is to say yes & make it a fleeting visit - it's quite interesting anyway as a 20 minute stop. But regardless of price don't be tempted by the marble furniture or anything else that has to be shipped - it can take months, you can end up with second-quality or damaged, and altho shipping is included there's import tax and transportation from port to home to pay for.

JB :)

Thanks JB,

Hoi An.

Azamara trip or cab there and cab back at the time of our choice?

Many thanks.

Tony

Depends on number-crunching, Tony.

But cruise excursions are usually so over-priced (& you'd only get half the value) and car/ van tours are so cheap in Vietnam, so I think you'd find it cheaper to simply fix something on the pier for all-day. Agree time-scale as well as price with the driver before you board, pay when you get back - it's the norm. US dollars almost certainly accepted

Also gives you more flexibility.

And I'm none-too-sure about the availability of taxis in Hoi An - and if you find one whether the driver's English would be good enough. If you use that option I strongly recommend you get someone at the port to write down the port's address in Vietnamese.

Good idea about the address in Vietnamese. We had to re-negotiate a 'private' trip in Halong Bay a couple of years ago and it was hard going.

Whilst mentioning Halong Bay, and I know this is the wrong thread. Do not expect good weather. It was misty and rainy when we were there and you can understand why they have a poster sized photo of it in the sunshine on the dock - so you can pose in front and make it look like the postcards.

Tony

Depends on number-crunching, Tony.

But cruise excursions are usually so over-priced (& you'd only get half the value) and car/ van tours are so cheap in Vietnam, so I think you'd find it cheaper to simply fix something on the pier for all-day. Agree time-scale as well as price with the driver before you board, pay when you get back - it's the norm. US dollars almost certainly accepted

Also gives you more flexibility.

And I'm none-too-sure about the availability of taxis in Hoi An - and if you find one whether the driver's English would be good enough. If you use that option I strongly recommend you get someone at the port to write down the port's address in Vietnamese.

There are plenty of taxis in Hoi An (Mai Linh....reputable company is the predominant company - taxis are green or white and green). I'm pretty sure they would head up to Danang, since the airport is there. The easiest place to catch them is the main drag just outside the old town. Just ask and someone will point you to where they park to catch rides. Good idea about getting the port info written down.

Most cruise ships berth at Chan May, about (45?) minutes north of Da Nang, but I think Azamara is small enough to berth in Da Nang itself

Annoyingly, Silversea have changed our port from Da Nang to Chan May for Silver Shadow. They've said it was because it was a more central location for Hue and Hoi An, but since it's Hoi An I want to visit, the short half day excursion now becomes a whole day. I had planned to visit Da Nang and Hoi An, which would have been easy to do....... But not any more.

Annoyingly, Silversea have changed our port from Da Nang to Chan May for Silver Shadow. They've said it was because it was a more central location for Hue and Hoi An, but since it's Hoi An I want to visit, the short half day excursion now becomes a whole day. I had planned to visit Da Nang and Hoi An, which would have been easy to do....... But not any more.

That's a bit of a downer.:(

And its nonsense for Silversea to suggest that Chan May is more central - Da Nang is most definitely the more-central port. Yes, Chan May is more convenient for Hue, but much less convenient for Hoi An - it adds at least 45 minutes each-way

But altho' Chan May is an industrial port, Da Nang is nothing to write home about either.

Can I suggest you fix an excursion to Hoi An via China Beach and Marble Mountain - that adds just ten minutes to the journey time, and would make it be a very good day.

Just MHO as always

Was just at Chan May for an overnight recently. First day, I recommend getting a taxi to Hoi An.. it was $25USD/person in a 10 person van. I was by myself and they just gathered people from cruise ship. Get to Hoi An before 4:30 and walk around during sunset/twilight. A couple from that trip loved it so much they went back to Hoi An the next day, though they said it wasnt as pretty during day time. Another couple from ship spend the night in Hoi An cuz they wanted to get custom made shoes and suits which requires overnight tayloring. We missed Marble mountain cuz it closes at 5pm and getting to Hoi An for sunset was a priority.

• 1 month later...