help with Seattle in a Day itinerary

LostAgain

I am hoping some kind soul who is familiar with Seattle can help me make up my itinerary for my one day in Seattle pre-cruise. We arrive at our hotel (Marriott Seattle Waterfront) around noon, and want to see the Chihuly Garden, the Columbia Center observation deck, the waterfront area and perhaps Pike Place Market. If we don't have time for the Market, we can see it the next morning before getting on our cruise. I have seen itineraries that talk about which direction to go so that you are not dealing with walking uphill, and I also want to consider not being in a dangerous area at night. Anyone have any hints for me? I don't mind walking. Thanks so much!! (As you can see from my name, I am not good at this sort of thing.)

I am hoping some kind soul who is familiar with Seattle can help me make up my itinerary for my one day in Seattle pre-cruise. We arrive at our hotel (Marriott Seattle Waterfront) around noon, and want to see the Chihuly Garden, the Columbia Center observation deck, the waterfront area and perhaps Pike Place Market. If we don't have time for the Market, we can see it the next morning before getting on our cruise. I have seen itineraries that talk about which direction to go so that you are not dealing with walking uphill, and I also want to consider not being in a dangerous area at night. Anyone have any hints for me? I don't mind walking. Thanks so much!! (As you can see from my name, I am not good at this sort of thing.)

You are on the waterfront so there is literally no way you will avoid walking uphill :) .

I would do the Columbia Tower observation deck first, then Chihuly, then the market including dinner and then back to the observation deck before it closes for a twilight view (if you are coming in the summer it won't be dark).

However, the only way to pull this off is to use Uber/Lyft. Seattle is a small city but not that small.

Here is a map in that order

If you were intent on walking then I would do it this way and you could also walk through the sculpture park on the way back to the hotel from Chihuly. And as a hybrid you could also take an uber/lyft from Columbia Tower to Chihuly since that is a longest stretch.

I plan on using the luggage service post cruise and then take an early evening flight leaving Sea-Tac. Will probably take the train to the airport to avoid traffic since won't have luggage. Want to visit Pike Market, Chihuly Garden and maybe one other spot. Which would be more convenient to visit last for easier access to train to the airport?

I plan on using the luggage service post cruise and then take an early evening flight leaving Sea-Tac. Will probably take the train to the airport to avoid traffic since won't have luggage. Want to visit Pike Market, Chihuly Garden and maybe one other spot. Which would be more convenient to visit last for easier access to train to the airport?

Neither the Market nor Chihuly is very close to a light rail station (probably a mile for both) but you could take the monorail from seattle center (Chihuly) to westlake and then take the light rail from westlake station.

If you are looking for a 3rd spot near a station before to head to the airport then I would suggest a visit to Uwajimaya in the international district which is right next to a station or a walk through pioneer square ending at the pioneer square station.

There is an elevator at Pike Place that will take you down to the Waterfront. Currently the Space Needle is installing a rotating glass floor which will be the only one in the world so you'd have to check and see if it's done when you bite when you get there but that would be worth switching to. The Space Needle is very close to Chihuli

I've posted this somewhere else but we used a great website/app that helped us with creating an itinerary for our post cruise stay in Seattle - VisitACity.com. They have apps for Android and iPhone

You put in specifics - day, start/end time and location you want for your itinerary(s), then add POI's and it will create a step-by-step itinerary and map so that you are not crisscrossing the city. It also allows you to decide if you want to walk, take public transit or use a car or any combination of them. It will also suggest recommended length of times at each attraction but you can edit it any way you wish by changing when, what order and length of time you want to spend at each as well as allowing you to input when you want to stop for meals and what is nearby at the point you decide. The apps are nice as you can download the itinerary onto your phone for offline use but still use GPS to help you get to where you want to go.

Here's a walking map showing some key locations. https://goo.gl/maps/SfrStXDJndk

Note the "Westlake Center" point is where you'd catch the monorail to Seattle Center; the monorail station at the center is basically at the foot of the Space Needle; the Chihuly exhibit is next door. So that isn't shown on the map because it wouldn't be on foot.

I've also included a couple of other points that you might consider. The first is the Argosy Cruises pier on the central waterfront. You can take one of several cruises from there, including one that travels through the Ballard Locks and then Lake Union past the houseboats (including the "Sleepless" one) and drops you off on Lake Union where they have buses to take you back to the waterfront. Argosy also offers an enjoyable (and not terribly kitschy) dinner outing to Blake Island in Puget Sound, where they'll feed you a salmon dinner in a "longhouse" inspired by Native American traditions. Website - https://www.argosycruises.com/argosy-cruises/tillicum-excursion/

The map also shows the Coleman ferry dock, from which you could take the state ferry over to Bainbridge Island (as foot passengers) - an iconic and very scenic ride, and quite inexpensive. Or, next to the ferries is the dock for the West Seattle Water Taxi, on which you travel across Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle. Right on the dock is a very fun and inexpensive restaurant/bar, Marination Ma Kai, featuring fun Korean/Hawaiian food (e.g. kalbi tacos, shave ice, etc.) and terrific mai tais on their outdoor deck with the best view in town.

P1000136aHs.jpg

Also on the map is the Smith Tower. This historic building (L.C. Smith as in Smith-Corona typewriters, also guns) was once the tallest building west of Chicago, and has been beautifully restored. There's an outdoor observation deck (and pub) at the top adjacent to the "Chinese Room" filled with furniture and various gifts to Smith from the Empress of China. It's not as high up as the Space Needle or the Columbia Center observatory, but for my money lots more interesting. Just my view as a local, but you really don't need to spend a fortune to get good views in Seattle; many of them are free. So you could skip the Space Needle (by the way the construction is probably not going to be completed during this cruise season) and use those dollars and hours for something that might be a decent exchange.

Visit the Pike Place market in the morning, the earlier the better. During cruise season the market becomes horrendously packed by 10:30 or so. If you're at the Marriott, just take the elevator next to the hotel up to Western Avenue and walk a couple of blocks to the main market arcade and have an early breakfast at Lowell's or the Athenian, walk around and maybe buy some flowers for your cabin on the ship, and high-tail it outta there.

VisitACity, what a great app! Thank you, Herfnerd! That will help tremendously. And Gardyloo, thank you for your tips and itinerary. I will look more closely at that. I knew I could count on the cc community for help.

VisitACity, what a great app! Thank you, Herfnerd! That will help tremendously. And Gardyloo, thank you for your tips and itinerary. I will look more closely at that. I knew I could count on the cc community for help.

You are welcome

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese restaurant in Seattle?

TIA

What kind of Chinese? The international district has several amazing dim sum restaurants (I assume non-dim sum is good as well). The only Chinese restaurant I have eaten at downtown is Wild Ginger which is good but pretty expensive. Dragonfish has a great regular and late night happy hour but I would call that Asian rather than Chinese.

You're welcome! We loved it so I had to share it!

What kind of Chinese? The international district has several amazing dim sum restaurants (I assume non-dim sum is good as well). The only Chinese restaurant I have eaten at downtown is Wild Ginger which is good but pretty expensive. Dragonfish has a great regular and late night happy hour but I would call that Asian rather than Chinese.

Ditto fastpitchdad - being Chinese/Hawaiian, I love stopping at Southern Chinese restaurants to try their Dim Sum. Harbor City in the International District is very good for Yum Cha, or Drink Tea (Chinese brunch)

Ditto fastpitchdad - being Chinese/Hawaiian, I love stopping at Southern Chinese restaurants to try their Dim Sum. Harbor City in the International District is very good for Yum Cha, or Drink Tea (Chinese brunch)

I should also add...While I still prefer Harbor City (especially for the price), there is now a Din Tai Fung in the University Village (there is one in Bellevue as well that's been open for a couple of years).

We stayed at Hyatt Place near the Space Needle. After touring that area (Chihuly Gardens as well), we took the monorail (for about $1) to Westlake Center and then walked for 8-10 blocks to the Columbia Center. From there we walked to Pike's Place. (about 10 minutes?). We are not great walkers, so most people should be able to do this.

From Pike's Place (had a late lunch there), we called the hotel and they sent a van to pick us up (for free). You might check with the Marriott and see if they offer such a service. We have stayed at the Marriott and it is a nice place right on the waterfront (rooms a bit smaller than normal).

Thank you, DaveOKC. I am going to sit down with my hubby and an online map to figure all this out. I appreciate all tips! Thanks for your comments on the Marriott. We are only staying one night, so the location was most important to us; the small room won't bother us at all. When we check in, we will find out all of our transportation options.

I should also add...While I still prefer Harbor City (especially for the price), there is now a Din Tai Fung in the University Village (there is one in Bellevue as well that's been open for a couple of years).

Din Tai Fung is great for their soup dumplings! Been to the original in Taiwan when it was just a small stand (used to live in Tien Mou right outside of Taipei) as well as in ones in NYC