Anyone With An Uncommon Food Allergy? How Did NCL Handle It?

I know that NCL handles food allergies well (I travel with my sister who is severely allergic to crustaceans). But I am wondering if there are any cruisers out there who have an uncommon food allergy? What were your experiences on NCL? I've done an extensive search on these boards and have not found an answer to my specific question, so please no responses from those who have experience with common allergens such as tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, dairy, soy etc.(I know that NCL is well versed in handling these common allergens). What I am asking for is specific info on how the cruise line handled a rare allergen. FYI, I am allergic to bell peppers and after more than 40 years of eating them, now have to carry Epi-pens.

I am also allergic to peppers but not green peppers, peppers with capsaicin. You will not have an issue with green peppers. They cautioned me on EVERY dish with green peppers to make sure they were not included in my allergy group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also allergic to peppers but not green peppers, peppers with capsaicin. You will not have an issue with green peppers. They cautioned me on EVERY dish with green peppers to make sure they were not included in my allergy group.

Thanks. I must avoid capsaicin also. So you had no problem and the staff seemed aware of even dried spices (in sauces) such as paprika, chili powder, ancho powder, poblanos, chili flakes, etc?

Edited by oncruisecontrol

No problem whatsoever.

They have cards for the staff that lists all ingredients. The waiters were very diligent and we were visited by the maitreD almost every evening. My mom also has severe shellfish allergy so we gots lots of care. This was in the MDR of course.

At the buffet just ask a server and they will check in the kitchen.

But the important thing to do is call the Special Needs desk so your allergy will pop up on the screen whenever you walk into the dining room. Super easy.

Call the 800 number. They will send a confirmation email to you.

And to be on the safe side you can check with the MTD on embarkation day.

I know that NCL handles food allergies well (I travel with my sister who is severely allergic to crustaceans). But I am wondering if there are any cruisers out there who have an uncommon food allergy? What were your experiences on NCL? I've done an extensive search on these boards and have not found an answer to my specific question, so please no responses from those who have experience with common allergens such as tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, dairy, soy etc.(I know that NCL is well versed in handling these common allergens). What I am asking for is specific info on how the cruise line handled a rare allergen. FYI, I am allergic to bell peppers and after more than 40 years of eating them, now have to carry Epi-pens.

Wow. I have never before encountered someone *else* with a bell pepper allergy!

"Hi!" ;)

First, whenever traveling where there *might* be a language problem, we travel with a card with a picture of a red, yellow, and green bell pepper. That gets the "idea" across fast.

We also have the phrase translated into the local language on the card.

(This was especially useful in small-town areas of Japan last year!)

As for NCL, they (and most places these days; it's certainly changed in the past two decades or so!) take this VERY seriously, even though it doesn't fit in any of the "regular food allergy" categories.

Yes, it's handled through the AccessDesk.

Contact them by EMAIL so they send you a special form to fill out. Most of the questions probably won't be relevant, so don't worry about the length of the form.

I'm not sure if just a phone call will get the same full notice, and better safe than sorry.

Upon boarding, I was to meet with a particular food coordinator. as soon as possible.

They could either arrange to tell me in advance which foods had NO bell peppers OR, with advance notice (the day before), they would specially prepare any menu items of choice... without bell peppers. (Obviously, it had to be possible; one couldn't make that request/demand if the menu item depended upon bell peppers.)

In my case, "cross contamination" is NOT a problem, so we made that clear, which makes it a lot easier at the food prep area. So if "cross contamination" IS a problem, just make that clear. At least these days, food prep staff is usually well prepared to deal with this.

However, I still ALWAYS remind any server about this. They are the ones who would still have the "opportunity" to grab the wrong plate in error.

GC

Wow. I have never before encountered someone *else* with a bell pepper allergy!

"Hi!" ;)

First, whenever traveling where there *might* be a language problem, we travel with a card with a picture of a red, yellow, and green bell pepper. That gets the "idea" across fast.

We also have the phrase translated into the local language on the card.

(This was especially useful in small-town areas of Japan last year!)

As for NCL, they (and most places these days; it's certainly changed in the past two decades or so!) take this VERY seriously, even though it doesn't fit in any of the "regular food allergy" categories.

Yes, it's handled through the AccessDesk.

Contact them by EMAIL so they send you a special form to fill out. Most of the questions probably won't be relevant, so don't worry about the length of the form.

I'm not sure if just a phone call will get the same full notice, and better safe than sorry.

Upon boarding, I was to meet with a particular food coordinator. as soon as possible.

They could either arrange to tell me in advance which foods had NO bell peppers OR, with advance notice (the day before), they would specially prepare any menu items of choice... without bell peppers. (Obviously, it had to be possible; one couldn't make that request/demand if the menu item depended upon bell peppers.)

In my case, "cross contamination" is NOT a problem, so we made that clear, which makes it a lot easier at the food prep area. So if "cross contamination" IS a problem, just make that clear. At least these days, food prep staff is usually well prepared to deal with this.

However, I still ALWAYS remind any server about this. They are the ones who would still have the "opportunity" to grab the wrong plate in error.

GC

Thanks for the detailed info. I like the idea of carrying photos of peppers when traveling to places where language is a barrier. Thanks a lot.

Our DIL is severely allergic to onions. You'd be surprised at all the dishes that have onions that you wouldn't think would have them. In her case, cross contamination is a big issue.

We haven't taken her on an NCL cruise, but both Princess and Royal Caribbean were very accommodating. Each night the head waiter would meet with her to discuss the next night's menu. They would either select dishes originally made with no onions or he would tell her which ones could be made specially for her. Sadly, most soups and sauces could not be accommodated.

She only had one slip-up and it was partially her fault but mainly the waiter's fault. She ordered Eggs Florentine one morning after the waiter assured her there were no onions. The spinach had been sauteed with onions. She shouldn't have trusted the waiter.

Our DIL is severely allergic to onions. You'd be surprised at all the dishes that have onions that you wouldn't think would have them. In her case, cross contamination is a big issue.

We haven't taken her on an NCL cruise, but both Princess and Royal Caribbean were very accommodating. Each night the head waiter would meet with her to discuss the next night's menu. They would either select dishes originally made with no onions or he would tell her which ones could be made specially for her. Sadly, most soups and sauces could not be accommodated.

She only had one slip-up and it was partially her fault but mainly the waiter's fault. She ordered Eggs Florentine one morning after the waiter assured her there were no onions. The spinach had been sauteed with onions. She shouldn't have trusted the waiter.

This is the kind of thing that has me worried since peppers can be in a lot of things in many different forms (whole chunks, pureed, dried spices etc.). I also do not trust servers' knowledge of ingredients due to mistakes made in restaurants on land where I was served peppers in the form of dried spices in sauces after I'd informed them of my allergy. Once I was served a green sauce on the side of a sandwich and I was suspicious, so I questioned the server. She said it was a poblano mayonnaise! So I said, "but I told you I was allergic to peppers". She said she didn't know that poblano was a type of pepper. :(

This is the kind of thing that has me worried since peppers can be in a lot of things in many different forms (whole chunks, pureed, dried spices etc.). I also do not trust servers' knowledge of ingredients due to mistakes made in restaurants on land where I was served peppers in the form of dried spices in sauces after I'd informed them of my allergy. Once I was served a green sauce on the side of a sandwich and I was suspicious, so I questioned the server. She said it was a poblano mayonnaise! So I said, "but I told you I was allergic to peppers". She said she didn't know that poblano was a type of pepper. :(

Yup, the problem is often with the wait staff.

As I just mentioned in another thread, and especially if cross-contamination is a problem (where things cannot necessarily be "seen"), then we suggest speaking with someone senior in the Dining Room BEFORE ordering.

Our experience is at that point, there will often be "too much hovering", but that's better than the opposite problem!

Fortunately, I'm not "as allergic" as others can be, so I have a little "leeway".

DH is also able to be my personal taster ;)

But if there is any "mystery red sauce" or even "mystery meat loaf", then... I'll pass.

We think I'm mostly allergic to something like an oil in the bell peppers, because something like paprika doesn't cause a problem. But rather than risk it, if the chef (especially in a foreign country) is going to "over correct" and not serve me "paprika", that's FINE with me.

Much better safe than sorry!

DH has a more serious allergy (not food-related), so between the two of us, there's always an Epi-Pen or two right at hand.

On his first cruise with NCL, he ended up in the medical center, and they had to call an ambulance (we were docked at Bermuda).

So NCL no doubt has his records logged; we've gotten very careful service ever since, which is appreciated (well, otherwise, we wouldn't be able to travel with them!).

We make SURE that we notify Access Desk, and remind them shortly before the cruise, and then remind staff on board as soon as we arrive.

The problem is that there are so many "other staff" who can make a mistake... we just need to be very diligent. And continue the reminders......

GC

Ultimately it’s YOU who is responsible. It’s your life and your health. You have to ask and then if necessary keep questioning.

No one but you suffers if a mistake is made.

I’m referring to the universal YOU. I am not directing this at the OP or any other poster.

Ultimately it’s YOU who is responsible. It’s your life and your health. You have to ask and then if necessary keep questioning.

No one but you suffers if a mistake is made.

I’m referring to the universal YOU. I am not directing this at the OP or any other poster.

Agree 100%. I am thankful for the tips I've received from everyone who has responded to this thread. Though I have cruised more than twenty times, this will be my first cruise since my food allergy diagnosis. My sister will be printing our Access Desk forms today.

Due to a medical condition I have, I cannot have artificial sweeteners. At all. One sip can send me to the ER, so I list this as an allergy. NCL was great when working with this, especially at dessert time.

Also keep in mind that while your allergy might not be common, they deal with uncommon allergies of some sort on every single sailing of every single ship. That's not saying that mistakes cannot be made, but that they do know how to handle these things. It won't be new for them.

On our NCL Alaska trip my SIL spoke ahead of time to all the specialty restaurant maitre d's and advised them of her condition. Time consuming for her but had to do it just the same. Good luck and bon appetit!

• 1 month later...

I have a severe allium allergy - garlic/onions/shallots/chives/etc. I'm anaphylactic - even a strong whiff of garlic can have consequences. It's not an easy allergy to dine out with, but I put into practice on my first NCL cruise what I've learned over the years and had no issues.

1) Upon boarding, I contacted the speciality restaurants I had reservations for. Since steakhouses are easier for me, I ate majority of dinners at Cagney's. I would go over the next day's menu with the staff and they would get back from the kitchen notes on which dishes they could accommodate me on. My allergy was noted in the system and was brought up when I was seated. One benefit of choosing to dine at same place multiple times is the familiarity the staff had with me.

2) Some foods I just can't whine for. There are dishes that make my mouth water but because of preparation technique/recipe, there's just no way they can cook *one* serving just for me. I want the kitchen staff to take care of me, so I have to respect their suggestions.

3) Go for simple when it comes to the buffet. I know what my "safe" foods are and I stick with them, like I would if I was onshore.

4) Depending on your allergy - think about *where* you are sitting and your dining time. I usually dine earlier in the evening because rooms aren't as full and probability of mistakes drop.

On my upcoming cruise on NCL in October, I've already contacted the Access Desk and received a response: please be advised that we can accommodate your special dietary needs. I will email our onboard dining and medical staff to inform them of your special dietary needs. Also you must meet with the group services coordinator upon embarkation to introduce yourself and further discuss the preparation of your meals.

I've booked reservations for most of my meals - they are split between Cagney's and Le Bistro. Last year I did do Teppenyaki and Moderno safely but I really didn't enjoy the meal because of the format of the dining as a solo cruiser.

I'm more concerned with my food options when I'm off the ship. I travel with an epi-pen and OTC meds that will help, but in the end, I'm the one who has to be vigilant.

I just took a NCL cruise with a gluten allergy. It was terrible!! I let them special dietary need desk know well in advance, I talked to the restaurant manager, and I let every wait staff know. They still got it wrong and treated me like crap!

I asked for a hamburger with no bun. He brought me just the bun! Most of the wait staff had no idea what gluten was and did not bother to ask. They had special desserts on board for me that I was never told about so I got to eat ice cream the whole cruise.

I even put my order in 24 hours in advance so the kitchen would know what I needed. They lost my order or took 20 minutes to find it.

I watched as my staff had wonderful interactions with the people around me but wouldn't even look at me when they spoke to me or try to have a conversation. I was not mean or disrespectful in any way. I just let them know I had an allergy and boy that just changed their tune.

Getting ready for a 10 day Southern Carribean in November. Fingers crossed it goes better this time!

Just to chime in from the other side of the kitchen. I am a Chef and have been for the past 30 years. The number one thing you must do is self advocate. Ask the questions, when you get an acceptable answer...ask the question again! I train my staff and have three certified Alertrain trainers on my staff, and all of my culinary team is Allertrain certified...I am very, very lucky. Most places do not have that luxury, I can't say for sure but my guess is NCL does the same for some of their culinary team. However, as a guest your point of contact is someone in the front of the house that does not understand the preparation methods, where it was prepared, may know the ingredient list but not what the ingredient is. Be prepared to explain in detail. If it is an "odd" allergy, print the basics on a business card and have them at the ready. I know I will read it and then ask you questions. If the allergy is vapor related, meaning airborne particles effect you, understand the environment of a cruise ship will not allow for a "free" environment. For instance if you have a gluten allergy, understand you will be dealing with gluten in the air, can't be helped. But seriously, no Chef wants a sick guest. It tears us up so please, I beg you, ask, ask, and ask again. On land if the Chef gives you an attitude over that...walk away and find a better place as that Chef's heart is not in it and his/her food will show it. At sea deal with how you must

What I am asking for is specific info on how the cruise line handled a rare allergen

I'm salicylate sensitive, so it's best for me to avoid raw or undercooked vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices. I let Special Needs know before the cruise, and at our first night dinner the chef came to our table to discuss my issue for that night's menu. From then on, each night after our meal I was given the menu for the following night so I could select what I would have and list any special instructions. Worked like a champ. Don't hesitate to ask to speak to the chef to make your issue clear.

NCL takes good allergoes very seriously. Waiters have guides in the galley. To help them (see link below). But, talk with the restaurant manager about uncommon allergies for every meal. Don’t depend on a waiter to be able to correctly interpret your medical conditions. On the link below, you may say that you have an onion allergy, but you are leaving it up to a waiter who has English as a second language trying to interpret a sign that says “scallions” (which may or may not be dangerous).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56221056&postcount=81

I have a severe allium allergy - garlic/onions/shallots/chives/etc. I'm anaphylactic - even a strong whiff of garlic can have consequences. It's not an easy allergy to dine out with, but I put into practice on my first NCL cruise what I've learned over the years and had no issues.

1) Upon boarding, I contacted the speciality restaurants I had reservations for. Since steakhouses are easier for me, I ate majority of dinners at Cagney's. I would go over the next day's menu with the staff and they would get back from the kitchen notes on which dishes they could accommodate me on. My allergy was noted in the system and was brought up when I was seated. One benefit of choosing to dine at same place multiple times is the familiarity the staff had with me.

2) Some foods I just can't whine for. There are dishes that make my mouth water but because of preparation technique/recipe, there's just no way they can cook *one* serving just for me. I want the kitchen staff to take care of me, so I have to respect their suggestions.

3) Go for simple when it comes to the buffet. I know what my "safe" foods are and I stick with them, like I would if I was onshore.

4) Depending on your allergy - think about *where* you are sitting and your dining time. I usually dine earlier in the evening because rooms aren't as full and probability of mistakes drop.

On my upcoming cruise on NCL in October, I've already contacted the Access Desk and received a response: please be advised that we can accommodate your special dietary needs. I will email our onboard dining and medical staff to inform them of your special dietary needs. Also you must meet with the group services coordinator upon embarkation to introduce yourself and further discuss the preparation of your meals.

I've booked reservations for most of my meals - they are split between Cagney's and Le Bistro. Last year I did do Teppenyaki and Moderno safely but I really didn't enjoy the meal because of the format of the dining as a solo cruiser.

I'm more concerned with my food options when I'm off the ship. I travel with an epi-pen and OTC meds that will help, but in the end, I'm the one who has to be vigilant.

Thanks for your detailed response. It is my plan to go to the specialty restaurants upon boarding to speak to the chef and/or restaurant manager. I also plan to order my dinners the previous evening for the next night. I plan to avoid the buffet (I usually never eat there anyway, so no big adjustment there). And, we just e-mailed our Access Desk forms yesterday. With regard to your last statement that I highlighted: Eating ashore is a great concern of mine. I carry Epi-pens, Benedryl, and Claritin Ready Tabs that dissolve on the tongue for fast absorption. Nevertheless, I have decided that I'm not going to eat in restaurants ashore in Mexico. Just don't want to take that chance since bell peppers and chili peppers are a prominent ingredient in the cuisine.

Thanks for your detailed response. It is my plan to go to the specialty restaurants upon boarding to speak to the chef and/or restaurant manager. I also plan to order my dinners the previous evening for the next night. I plan to avoid the buffet (I usually never eat there anyway, so no big adjustment there). And, we just e-mailed our Access Desk forms yesterday. With regard to your last statement that I highlighted: Eating ashore is a great concern of mine. I carry Epi-pens, Benedryl, and Claritin Ready Tabs that dissolve on the tongue for fast absorption. Nevertheless, I have decided that I'm not going to eat in restaurants ashore in Mexico. Just don't want to take that chance since bell peppers and chili peppers are a prominent ingredient in the cuisine.

I know people in Facebook Garlic Allergy group that take activated charcoal tablets in case they accidentally ingest garlic. I’ve never done that personally because there are medications I’m on that this could possibly interfere with. I’ve vacationed twice in Mexico, but there’s limited options for me - so much seems to have onions.

I had a great time dining on shore in Italy because contrary to way Italian food is prepared here in the US, garlic is not put in everything over there. :)

My eldest son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, soy protein, soy flour, beans, peas, and seeds. So not super unusual, but the beans and seeds can get weird.

The first meal on Getaway was an awful situation (in Magic show) and the buffet immediately after was no better. DH and son (then 15) headed to guest services for some help. They were set up with a maitre’d who then walked him through pre-ordering diners the next two nights right then. She told us she worked out of Savor for breakfast and we opted to go there the next morning.

We had SDP and ate in every venue at least once. Each time she had gone before us and either spoken with the chef there, or the maitre’d that over saw that. When we ate in La Cucina, her PM venue, the chef prepared my son the best dessert any of us had eaten (I tasted!) in the whole cruise.

Her name was Cher Fuentes and she made the trip spectacular.

If it's OK to ask this, how do you handle people around you who might have garlic, onions etc in their food? Is it like a peanut allergy where you can't even have peanuts in the air or nearby?