Concierge

juliet

There are many threads on this topic. I suggest you do a search.

You will find as many differing opinions as there are passengers. Some think it's worth it, some don't. That's why it's so hard to answer your question.

You don't get THAT many extra benefits with concierge. Do you want a hot breakfast in your room or are you satisfied with a continental breakfast? You can always go to the GDR or Terrace/Waves anyway. I don't find much value in the Lounge (on the big ships) myself but some do. At least you can get a snack there or read the paper.

So some people find it worth the extra cost, others don't. Only you will know how YOU feel.

Is getting a concierge stateroom worth the extra charge since the staterooms are the same? Also, what size beds are in the staterooms? Thanks in advance.

My DW was sold on upgrading to a concierge cabin when they added the "up to 3 bags of laundry" perk per cruise leg. So if you book a grand voyage cruise, you get 3 bags of laundry free on each leg of the cruise.

There are of course some other minor perks, but that's the big one for us. As far as the bed goes, the "queen" size bed can be converted to 2 twin beds. But it is very comfortable and you can barely feel the crack when they put the two mattresses together to make the queen bed.

Just got back from the May 25-June 6 cruise on Riviera. I must honestly say that Concierge is not worth it at all. The Lounge has a few bagels and coffee in the morning and yesterday’s news paper. The Laundry takes a minimum 3 days. Breakfast in the morning in our cabin was a nice touch, especially on days when we had to be out for an excursion at 8 am. The room itself is identical to a regular balcony room so no value there. I would not have booked concierge at time of booking except that was all available when we booked. Save your money for private excursions. I only saw my concierge twice, when I went to the Lounge and ask to book the specialty restaurants an extra two nights, he was not even all that pleasant and helpful, I went to the restaurant myself and did the booking. There you have it my 2$$ worth.

it depends on if the extras are worth it to you

Hot Breakfast in cabin

bottle of Champagne

3 free bags of laundry

4 items pressed free

access to the spa deck

access to the Concierge lounge

early restaurant reservations booking

early embarkation

ability to order lunch/dinner from the GDR in cabin

probably something else but you have to evaluate the cost & what is important to you

JMO

it depends on if the extras are worth it to you

Hot Breakfast in cabin

bottle of Champagne

3 free bags of laundry

4 items pressed free

access to the spa deck

access to the Concierge lounge

early restaurant reservations booking

early embarkation

ability to order lunch/dinner from the GDR in cabin

probably something else but you have to evaluate the cost & what is important to you

JMO

I believe you also get to book your specialty restaurant reservations 60 days out rather than 45 days.

I agree with most on this - you have to decide which, if any of the additional perks are important to you and if the extra cost is worth it. Here’s what was important to us:

3 bags of laundry - definite plus for us. We were on a 24 day cruise on the Regatta. There is one laundry room with 5 washers and dryers ( actually one washer was broken and one day, there was no access to the laundry room). There is only so much time I’m willing to wait around to do laundry on a cruise so and with 600+ passengers, it was difficult to get laundry done. The 3 bags of laundry (with a 20 item limit) was worth it to us.

Access to the Spa Deck - On sea days, there is always a scramble to get loungers by the pool, where the Spa Deck on our cruise was empty most days.

Early Specialty Restaurant reservations - there were specific days I wanted to make these reservations ahead of time. Some days, we had long excursions so I didn’t want to make any reservations on those days.

Ordering from GDR - again, on those days where we had long excursions, it was nice to be able to order from the GDR and have a relaxing dinner in our cabin.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just an aside -- yes, the FREE laundry takes 2-3 days to get back. They say 3 days, but we've usually had it back sometime on the second day. (Having said that we were in a suite which might well make a difference.)

If you PAY for the laundry, I believe it's usually 1 day. So if you're in a hurry and don't want to (or aren't able to) do your own laundry in the laundry room, pay the fee ...

Mura

Well, as this is our first O cruise, it will be tough to say anything about the value of the perks, but at least for us on Insignia, one intangible benefit of a Concierge cabin is being able to have an aft-facing balcony without the expense of a suite. Yes, my wife and I are proud aft snobs. :evilsmile:

I know. I just wanted to mention the difference in days as it can be important if you like to book an early seating table for 2 like we do.

I just booked my Specialties for our upcoming cruise all 6:30 pm slots with 2 tops

We are in a B cabin

Hi Lyn,

We just went to make specialty restaurant reservations the very first morning they became available (we are in a B category room) -- and the ONLY available seating time, for EVERY night of the cruise, was 9pm. That was requesting a table for 2. Has that ever happened to you before?

I'm not sure if all of the available deuce-table reservations were already taken by concierge-and-above passengers...or if O is holding all deuce reservations back, except for 9pm, until embarkation day.

Hi Lyn,

We just went to make specialty restaurant reservations the very first morning they became available (we are in a B category room) -- and the ONLY available seating time, for EVERY night of the cruise, was 9pm. That was requesting a table for 2. Has that ever happened to you before?

I'm not sure if all of the available deuce-table reservations were already taken by concierge-and-above passengers...or if O is holding all deuce reservations back, except for 9pm, until embarkation day.

Hi Randy

I have not had that happen before some nights were 8 or 9 pm but not all of them

I would call O & see if you can get a 2 top earlier

Hi to Jeff

Lyn

Also, what size beds are in the staterooms? Thanks in advance.

It seems to me the bed is larger than a queen. In fact, I believe the bed is two twins joined ( or they can be separated if you wish)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, as this is our first O cruise, it will be tough to say anything about the value of the perks, but at least for us on Insignia, one intangible benefit of a Concierge cabin is being able to have an aft-facing balcony without the expense of a suite. Yes, my wife and I are proud aft snobs. :evilsmile:

That's a concierge perk my DW has banned me from talking about for obvious reasons. Good choice! ;)

That's great. Is the cruise sold out too like the ones we're usually on as of late?

No our cruise is not sold out

When booking GV it is hard to tell if the cruise is actually sold out though as they do hold back some cabins until the segments are fuller

You would need to check all the segments of the GV to determine if your cruise is actually sold out or not

It seems to me the bed is larger than a queen. In fact, I believe the bed is two twins joined ( or they can be separated if you wish)

2 twins pushed together make a king size. Those beds are thinner than twins and when pushed together they make a queen.