Tips

FLOURTOWN

Not published by ncl. There are people in the dsc pool that are not customer facing so you won't see them during your cruise to be able to give them cash and therefore will short them. Also, odds are you won't have the same servers more than once so you'd need to hand out cash after each meal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the breakdown of the $17.50 gratuities are? They used to have it. We are thinking of giving them cash instead.

The DSC is a common practice in the cruise industry.

If you are dissatisfied, you may request a refund AFTER your cruise.

Just pay the DSC and ensure that all of the hard working crew members that work so many long hours are compensated.

The hotel director on the Bliss last week said that the standard work day is 10 hours. That’s 70 hours a week. Before they get paid overtime.

I think the best one is when people moan like hell about paying the 20% gratuity on their free UBP then freely admit that they like to take a wad of $1 (or $2) bills with them to tip the bar staff.

The way this gratuity matter is going it willl soon be compulsory 25% DSC and then every one will be tipping extra 5$ per drink.

This constant tipping needs to stop and most countries in the worllld don't subscribe and despite what many may think the vast majority of cruises outside USA and near waters are occupied by non Americans!

The way this gratuity matter is going it willl soon be compulsory 25% DSC and then every one will be tipping extra 5$ per drink.

This constant tipping needs to stop and most countries in the worllld don't subscribe and despite what many may think the vast majority of cruises outside USA and near waters are occupied by non Americans!

But, don’t you add service on your food and bar bills at home automatically? Is there a difference?

We don't. No such thing as a tip/gratuity on a night out at the pub. Restaurant bills will occasionally add a service charge for a large party,most don't. Most people just leave their change or a 'couple of quid'

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My point was that we were told they take a percentage off to do the paper work on prepaid gratuities. For 30 cruises we always did what we were supposed to do plus more. We just thought to make our last cruise something special, we would do it the old fashioned way to be more personal!

My point was that we were told they take a percentage off to do the paper work on prepaid gratuities. For 30 cruises we always did what we were supposed to do plus more. We just thought to make our last cruise something special, we would do it the old fashioned way to be more personal!
How are you going to personally deliver the tips to the back of the house workers that participate in the DSC?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looking at what you said the DSC is then I'm assuming you are in some sort of suite or the DSC has gone up. If you are in a suite I always thought you paid the inflated DSC AND tipped your butler and concierge. Not sure how true this is because I've never been in a suite.

We don't. No such thing as a tip/gratuity on a night out at the pub. Restaurant bills will occasionally add a service charge for a large party,most don't. Most people just leave their change or a 'couple of quid'

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The difference being the wage that the bartender/server makes. In the end it is a wash. If we were to stop the tipping culture in the USA then they would just increase the price and we would still be paying the same. Makes no difference really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference being the wage that the bartender/server makes. In the end it is a wash. If we were to stop the tipping culture in the USA then they would just increase the price and we would still be paying the same. Makes no difference really.

I think the difference may be tax. I'm not sure on any of this and I've no real idea on how the IRS works. The restaurant / diner owner will only pay tax on what they receive for their goods. So if they charge a smaller amount and then underpay their wait staff their tax bill will be smaller than if they charged more but paid their staff a decent wage. I'm not sure if there is any tax paid on tips received.

I still think our way is better just because it seems to cause less arguments, and you don't get chased half way down 9th Avenue because you only left a few pennies as a tip. :)

Ok, points well taken! Yes, the ones in the background live for those tips so we will do the DSC, we always did. We are in the Haven & will tip the butler & concierge & anyone else who provides extra service or is just exceptionally nice. The End!

The main difference, as I see it, is that it is easier.

We can go out for a night without having to wonder how much to tip, or worry that we may undertip inadvertently. We also don’t have to spend hours arguing with strangers on the internet about it. :)

When in Rome.....

Follow the customs that apply where you are, easy.

Our first breakfast in Sydney, hubby left tip but asked server what is standard in Australia. "We don't tip here" and tried to give it back, he kept his 25% because we were grateful for his honesty. Saved us money the rest of the trip :cool:

The main difference, as I see it, is that it is easier.

We can go out for a night without having to wonder how much to tip, or worry that we may undertip inadvertently. We also don’t have to spend hours arguing with strangers on the internet about it. :)

I agree it would be much easier. I wish we did that in the USA. But I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

I agree it would be much easier. I wish we did that in the USA. But I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Crab Shack tried "no tipping". They increased their prices and there was no tipping. They tested it in 18 of their restaurants and went back to the tipping policy in 14 of them less then a year from when it started. Neither the servers nor customers like it. According to their SEC filing, it revealed the no-tipping experiment played a role in quarterly labor expenses increasing by 3.2 percent, year over year and those higher expenses resulted in income dropping by 16.2 percent.

I would much rather have the tipping culture, instead of restaurants raising prices and then adding a service charge (as I ran into in London and some Mediterranean countries), because at least with the tip, I can decide if the service I was given was worth a tip or not, instead of getting lousy service and having to pay a service charge.