Rum Runner Risks

Clepire

Actually, it's disregard for the law. I've just got to say that to me there's a difference between a kid trying to "scam" a drink on a cruise or anywhere else -- kids will be kids. But there's something that rubs me wrong about a parent purchasing alcohol for kids when it's against the law.

If someone wants to go with "rationalization," one could rationalize that it's ok to rob a convenience store because you need some extra cash. You can "rationalize" almost anything.

If I were running the ship, the first time I'd give a stern a warning. The next time, I'd code the SeaPass cards so no one in that cabin could purchase alcohol -- period.

While I don't feel kids should be given booze, and certainly don't get me started on the whole "They'll drink anyways so I'd rather they do it at home" argument.

But.... in many states it's 100% legal for a parent to buy alcohol and give it to their kids (and only their kids). While that's not something I believe in, I do respect the law and recognize if that's what parents want to do... it's ultimately their choice even if I don't agree with it.

Edited by geomancer

My 19 year old son regularly used my wife's SeaPass card to get drinks in the evening. He got caught twice. They handed him the drink, he gave them the card, they went to make the charge and then came back and took the drink away from him (and removed the charge from our account). Luckily neither he nor my wife was booted off.

They wont boot you off but what the will do if reported once is watch you and if you are seen providing under age or allowing underage card use for Alcohol you will have "your" seapass knocked down to the restricted under age card (red carded) if you are then caught being provided with alcohol by another adult after being red carded they will also get red carded , if you have the package you forego without refund.

I have talked to some who have been "red carded" for an entire cruise and other whos restriction was only a few days.

I am so surprised at the amount of cruisers who dont know how a cruise ship works! Everyone onboard is at the mercy of the captain who in most cases leaves it up to the officer in charge of security to make security breach decision but getting kicked off at a port has to be the captains decision because for obviouse reasons they cant just debark you and wave bye bye.

Those being debarked usually get a chance meet or a written submission with the captain to try and give good reason why he/she should not be removed from the ship.

Two teenage shoplifters on one of my cruises were debarked in a foreigh port but they each had to have an adult family member debarked with them. Oh What fun lol

We always use the wine bottle trick, and it's worked like a charm. Buy a few cheap bottles of wine with screw tops, and consume (or discard) the contents. Pour liquor into the now empty bottles, use shrink wrap and hair dryer or saran wrap to add an extra layer of seal at the top. Screw the top back on and use elmer's glue to attach it back to the bottom ring (super glue may make it challenging to open upon arrival to destination). Put a bottle into each luggage, and carry on a bottle each per person. In the unlikely event you do get called down to the naughty room - well, it's just wine sir! They'll apologize and give it to you. Just make sure that you don't put vodka into a clear wine bottle labeled merlot :D. Use tinted yellow or green bottles for clear liquor, and dark bottles for everything else, and you're golden. Bottles are reusable so it's essentially a one time investment. If you want to go really fancy you can also buy the foil caps on amazon to re-seal the bottle.

P.S. You're welcome

P.P.S Flame away :D

You can buy shrink wrap wine bottle covers/seals from wine making shops or on ebay, with these the bottle looks like it has not been tampered with! slip it on the bottle top and neck and shrink it on with a hairdryer.

ITA but when they make both people buy the drink package when one can't actually use it for medical reasons - that's a problem.

And you can thank people with the same attitude that the rules didn't apply to them and 'shared' their drink package with their 'non-drinking' cabin mate for creating that problem.

I have done a lot of research on Rum Runners and was hoping to bring them on my next cruise. However, today I was reading the cruise documentation and it said "

Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consuming,

providing alcohol to people under the age of 21,

demonstrating irresponsible behavior, or attempting

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage

checkpoints or any other time), may be disembarked or

not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance

with the Guest Conduct Policy."

Has anyone actually gotten kicked off the cruise for trying to bring Rum Runners on?

Here's a crazy idea! Let me know what you think. Why don't you just pay for your drinks and not worry about getting thrown off the ship. This way you can have a drink where the booze came out of a bottle and not a piece of plastic that has been sitting in a suitcase next to your underwear and socks. Just a thought.

Elvis

I have done a lot of research on Rum Runners and was hoping to bring them on my next cruise. However, today I was reading the cruise documentation and it said "

Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consuming,

providing alcohol to people under the age of 21,

demonstrating irresponsible behavior, or attempting

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage

checkpoints or any other time), may be disembarked or

not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance

with the Guest Conduct Policy."

Has anyone actually gotten kicked off the cruise for trying to bring Rum Runners on?

No, give it a shot many have never been caught in over a ton of cruises

What cruise line was this? RCL will call you down to the 'naughty room'. I've always heard they are not allowed to open your bag outside of your presence, even if unlocked.

We took rum-runners just once but the drink packages make that unnecessary.

This is true. We took rum runners last jan. They got most of them. We got big little orange letters in our luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Way back in the beginning of my cruise life, I used to roll 6 bottles of wine in my clothes in the suitcase. No Problem with bringing it on board. Gave to the Dining room in the AM and they put in the refrigerator and chilled it for the evening dinner in the MDR.

Now, with all the BS going on, and the alcohol ****s :evilsmile: taking it all at boarding, I just smuggle it on internally, ( you know, inside the stomach) and replenish it whenever I feel the level is getting low.

If you really want to live dangerously, buy mint green mouthwash, (cheaper at Walmart if you get their brand), empty it and refill with clear booze and put a little green dye in the bottle, then shake (gently) to get the correct color of mint green (or close, anyway)

It makes a great little spooker of rum, or vodka, or whatever, and also has the advantage of when your DW says you have bad breath, just pull it off the shelf in the bathroom and take a hit. No one will ever know.;p

It also stows in the little back pack things we DH carry around for our DW's. And you never know when you get bad breath, so it's always there when you need it.:cool:

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.:)

Up to date 2015 to 2018 fool proof smuggling secret! Ok so because I cant be bothered smuggling any more I will give it up to all! maybe an age thing? but we are usually 100% serial smugglers 100% successful 100% beating security 100% of the time over the years in many ways.

Opaque (non see through) Contact lens saline solution bottles, they are usually 700ml and "sterile" so security are not allowed to open or tamper with them due to possible cross contamination its that simple! Remember you have to be very inventive to get booze on board without being sprung but unless its just for cabin use you may as well go on a camping vacation with a full cooler of anything you want lol

Contact saline solution is cheaper than any rum runner and security will never be able to open it or test it.

Knock yourselves out smugglers, I have let the cat out of the bag. :)

And you can thank people with the same attitude that the rules didn't apply to them and 'shared' their drink package with their 'non-drinking' cabin mate for creating that problem.

Lol go out and do something against the "rules" its quite invigorating!

Your statement sound as if you believe "rules" are the exact same as "laws"? lol wake up they are not the same lol:evilsmile:

Here's a crazy idea! Let me know what you think. Why don't you just pay for your drinks and not worry about getting thrown off the ship. This way you can have a drink where the booze came out of a bottle and not a piece of plastic that has been sitting in a suitcase next to your underwear and socks. Just a thought.

Elvis

Some are born to be bad! seems Elvis though is more at home sitting on the sofa with his rag doll kitties "purrr" lol Totally "kittened up" statement that weakens an iconic rebel name lol please change your name its only right for the real people on the net!

Up to date 2015 to 2018 fool proof smuggling secret! Ok so because I cant be bothered smuggling any more I will give it up to all! maybe an age thing? but we are usually 100% serial smugglers 100% successful 100% beating security 100% of the time over the years in many ways.

Opaque (non see through) Contact lens saline solution bottles, they are usually 700ml and "sterile" so security are not allowed to open or tamper with them due to possible cross contamination its that simple! Remember you have to be very inventive to get booze on board without being sprung but unless its just for cabin use you may as well go on a camping vacation with a full cooler of anything you want lol

Contact saline solution is cheaper than any rum runner and security will never be able to open it or test it.

Knock yourselves out smugglers, I have let the cat out of the bag. :)

Does the liquor taste like plastic using this method?

On our last cruise, over Christmas, my wife just wrapped our bottles in Christmas wrapping paper and put them in our checked luggage. They made it to the room.

I had no idea I was married to a criminal mastermind.

Too funny! Genius idea. [emoji12]

I have smuggled once or twice, just a few shooters of alcohol I like. I put them with my toiletries, and have always gotten through. I've never tried rum runners, but i can't believe the scanners miss detecting them....more like the ones who get through are just ignored by the people scanning.

Some are born to be bad! seems Elvis though is more at home sitting on the sofa with his rag doll kitties "purrr" lol Totally "kittened up" statement that weakens an iconic rebel name lol please change your name its only right for the real people on the net!

I can guarantee you I'm not "kittened up"! I'm just too old to do this crap and with a drink package I don't find it necessary. And you have no idea how I got this name, so keep your opinions to yourself.

Elvis

I have smuggled once or twice, just a few shooters of alcohol I like. I put them with my toiletries, and have always gotten through. I've never tried rum runners, but i can't believe the scanners miss detecting them....more like the ones who get through are just ignored by the people scanning.

X-rays depend on density. The flasks are thin plastic, so nothing to show up on x-rays.

Glass does show up.

Yeah, give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? :evilsmile:

They take your $10 bottles of Bacardi or Smirnoff....well worth the risk and then again never seen anyone caught in my 31 cruises over 4 different line

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of 8 that have all purchased the drink package but we also have a favorite shot that we drink at our local bar. We will bringing those ingredients with us in the Rum Runners and I don’t feel bad about it.

We’re paying for the package already and we want to be able to celebrate on our balcony with a shot.

We not only bring Rum Runners but during our Christmas holidays cruises box wine which have four liters each gifted wrapped as presents, and printouts from EBay showing they are snow globes never a problem!